The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 hour ago, Merkland Red said:

Not trying to cause offence to anyone but the folk I know who make arguments about the importance of a captain never played organised football. 

No offence, but you're wrong. I played amateur football for 12 years, half of those as captain of the side. Not that it's relevant in the slightest to anything, and I certainly don't think back to my days hoofing a ball around a muddy public park when I make comments on the Dons. 

I think I'm being misunderstood. My beef is with Lewis, and his body language, and how it effects the rest of the team. 

I'd love to here the reasoning as why you think the rest of team fall to pieces every time he throws one in his own net. I agree completely that captaincy/leadership is only one element of how a team works, but without any the side is missing an important building block. 

Aside from that, as a strong supporter of McInnes, my faith has ebbed away pretty quickly. It doesn't seem that the players believe in what McInnes is trying to get them to do.....we have no plan B, and going a goal behind means that we're beat. The Motherwell game a couple of weeks ago aside, I can't remember the last time we looked cohesive or looked like we were going to win a game. 

Confidence is absolutely shot, and it looks as if we're only a half step away from it being obvious that he's lost the dressing room. 

I don't see any point in making an immediate change....who's available out there ?.....but the summer would now seem to be a logical parting point. 

Edited by Bob Mahelp

Just now, Bob Mahelp said:

No offence, but you're wrong. I played amateur football for 12 years, half of those as captain of the side. 

I think I'm being misunderstood. My beef is with Lewis, and his body language, and how it effects the rest of the team. 

I'd love to here the reasoning as why you think the rest of team fall to pieces every time he throws one in his own net. I agree completely that captaincy/leadership is only one element of how a team works, but without any the side is missing an important building block. 

Aside from that, as a strong supporter of McInnes, my faith has ebbed away pretty quickly. It doesn't seem that the players believe in what McInnes is trying to get them to do.....we have no plan B, and going a goal behind means that we're beat. The Motherwell game a couple of weeks ago aside, I can't remember the last time we looked cohesive or looked like we were going to win a game. 

Confidence is absolutely shot, and it looks as if we're only a half step away from it being obvious that he's lost the dressing room. 

I don't see any point in making an immediate change....who's available out there ?.....but the summer would now seem to be a logical parting point. 

I didn't mean yourself. Your issue was with the man himself and not his role. I'm on about the "goalkeeper can't be captain!" types. If your line of thought is Lewis is getting complacent due to no real competition then I'd agree. Cerny could have done a job for most teams in the league. Fans of Hamilton didn't think Woods was good enough to play for them. As far as back up keepers go, I would have said the only team with a better one than ours was the ****.

I don't think the team falls to pieces when he specifically fucks up. I think the team falls apart if we lose the first goal in general. Probably in line with what you say that if we go a goal down then we're going to struggle to win.

I agree the summer seems logical but the way things are going fifth could become a very real possibility. Regardless of how well coached or managed they are, Livi should be nowhere near us. I'm not claiming Martindale is the messiah but as he's essentially ran the show for Livi in the background for years then you have to wonder what could be done on our budget.

I don't even think the manager is a critical appointment. I'd rather see a DoF come in with a chosen philosophy and managers/head coaches to suit. If your manager is successful and poached then you already have similar guys in line to approach as you would do with a player.

3 hours ago, G51 said:

IMO the 3-4-3 isn't really a formation that is designed to progress the ball through the middle of the pitch - it's a formation designed to get overloads in wide areas.

That makes sense when you have a couple of big lads up front who header the ball in the back of the net. But Aberdeen's "soft rebuild" of the forward line means that doesn't necessarily suit the players you have anymore.

The question McInnes now has to answer is how does this all fit together - he's bought forwards that (mostly) prefer the ball at their feet. How does he get the ball to them? It probably requires a change of formation.

We started yesterday (and Saturday) with a 4-4-1-1, which worked reasonably well in the first game and was torn to shreds last night. It wasnt until we went 3-5-2 that we got a foothold in the game, but still created very little. 

Im not sure what the answer is. I think for as bad as we were last night, Livi were very good first half. I know Celtic are gubbins at the moment, but their players are better technically than ours and they struggle with the Livi press. hibs this weekend is a massive game.

Just now, RussellAnderson said:

We started yesterday (and Saturday) with a 4-4-1-1, which worked reasonably well in the first game and was torn to shreds last night. It wasnt until we went 3-5-2 that we got a foothold in the game, but still created very little. 

Im not sure what the answer is. I think for as bad as we were last night, Livi were very good first half. I know Celtic are gubbins at the moment, but their players are better technically than ours and they struggle with the Livi press. hibs this weekend is a massive game.

The weather was a massive issue last night. Livi used it to their advantage and we did not.

Why we persisted with kicking a long ball in to the wind is beyond me.

Campbell came on and immediately at the beginning of the second half he played a ball down the line and around the defender. We'd been screaming out for that all first half.

3 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

The weather was a massive issue last night. Livi used it to their advantage and we did not.

Why we persisted with kicking a long ball in to the wind is beyond me.

Campbell came on and immediately at the beginning of the second half he played a ball down the line and around the defender. We'd been screaming out for that all first half.

I actually thought Campbell was one of the better players last night. I cant tell if he was given more space by a tiring midfield, or if he made the space himself. his passing was nice from the base of the midfield. Makes me wonder if we play a flat 4-3-3 with Campbell, McCrorie and Ferguson, does that give us more control in these games? Two of our many wingers flanking hornby or hendry (who I was also quite impressed with). Nae clue though. I struggle with just watching the games on the telly. 

3 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Not trying to cause offence to anyone but the folk I know who make arguments about the importance of a captain never played organised football. 

I've not played at any real level but i'd be curious to know how having a vocal captain would overcome our absence of tactics. 

I'm not saying it's unimportant who the captain is but i am saying i don't think that's our main issue. 

31 minutes ago, RussellAnderson said:

I actually thought Campbell was one of the better players last night. I cant tell if he was given more space by a tiring midfield, or if he made the space himself. his passing was nice from the base of the midfield. Makes me wonder if we play a flat 4-3-3 with Campbell, McCrorie and Ferguson, does that give us more control in these games? Two of our many wingers flanking hornby or hendry (who I was also quite impressed with). Nae clue though. I struggle with just watching the games on the telly. 

We've been totally overrun in midfield on a number of times. I would wager that we have the lowest number of second balls won in the middle third in the league. As a result, Ferguson and McCrorie have had to run about like headless chickens trying to make something happen against a packed midfield. 

I think with McGeouch being back into contention, a midfield 3 is the way to go. McGeouch as well being one of our most comfortable players in possession of the ball too. Campbell is also more than capable and is probably deserving of more game time. 

58 minutes ago, RussellAnderson said:

A midfield 3 of any of Ferguson, McCrorie, McGeouch or Campbell should be more than capable of winning the battle against any team in the league.

On the captain thing - good debate and can see both sides of the argument....................and have also heard plenty that have played football at a good level state the importance of the role.

Just had a look at Lewis Ferguson's interview from last night - and as well as now knowing that Fraser Hornby is called Fraz, it just dawned on me..............there's your captain Derek !

It may be significant, it may be small margins - but time to relieve Joe Lewis of this to see if it help stops this nasty habit he's picked up of producing utter calamities.

Ferguson is the outfield captain, thats pretty clear whether he has the armband or not. It was the same with shinnie, theyre that sort of personality who just will not accept a lack of effort from themselves. Whether the rest of the team can use that energy is down to them, and down to McInnes. 

8 hours ago, tarapoa said:

This is worth a read if you haven't yet seen it - plenty food for thought.

https://www.whatastramash.com/home/2021/2/3/malaise

All fair points but not sure I see anything new in there. Just seems like a summary of the same arguments that have gone round in circles for a couple of years now.

My own opinion is that he's here until May, when the situation will be reviewed and I wouldn't be surprised if there was a mutual parting of ways, particularly if we finish 4th or 5th. In the meantime, the constant repetitive arguments/misery that come up after every game is just unhealthy.

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

All fair points but not sure I see anything new in there. Just seems like a summary of the same arguments that have gone round in circles for a couple of years now.

My own opinion is that he's here until May, when the situation will be reviewed and I wouldn't be surprised if there was a mutual parting of ways, particularly if we finish 4th or 5th. In the meantime, the constant repetitive arguments/misery that come up after every game is just unhealthy.

Yeah, it's a well written article but it doesn't divulge anything that isn't discussed here on a daily basis. 

McInnes will be here until the end of the season, and barring a sensational last 12 games and/or a Scottish cup win (if we get to play cup games), I would imagine that the club and McInnes will announce an 'amicable parting of ways'. 

I suspect for many, the performance and result on Tuesday were the straw that broke the camel's back. The occasional disaster happens to every team, but when it becomes a recurring theme everyone has to look at the part they play in it. 

The arguments that we go through after every game are indeed miserable, but it would be worse if fans were allowed into games. The team and manager should count themselves lucky. 

Whoever the manager is next season they are going to have it extremely tough. We will need to make significant changes including a new forward line, the demise of the continuity of the dressing room with the departures of long-term squad members Logan & McGinn, and continuing cutbacks on the wage bill that has been high in the last couple of years without reward.

If Cormack doesn't act to remove McInnes in the summer, which I think he should and will, then McInnes would be prudent to leave on his own accord. His attractiveness to vacancies south of the border will be low, possibly non-existent,  at the moment, certainly at a Championship level, and the turmoil that season 2021/22 promises to be for Aberdeen might blow any hopes of decent job afterwards out of the water.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

1 minute ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Whoever the manager is next season they are going to have it extremely tough. We will need to make significant changes including a new forward line, the demise of the continuity of the dressing room with the departures of long-term squad members Logan & McGinn, and continuing cutbacks on the wage bill that has been high in the last couple of years without reward.

If Cormack doesn't act to remove McInnes in the summer, which I think he should and will, then McInnes would be prudent to leave on his own accord. His attractiveness to vacancies south of the border will be low, possibly non-existent,  at the moment, certainly at a Championship level, and the turmoil that season 2021/22 promises to be for Aberdeen might blow any hopes of decent job afterwards out of the water.

I wouldn't be surprised if Logan is given a 1-year reduced money extension as cover tbh. Depends if he wants to go into his plumbing full time now or not.

Given Logan and McGinn have been relatively infrequent this season, I don't see them leaving being a particular issue.

9 minutes ago, AngusTheBull said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Logan is given a 1-year reduced money extension as cover tbh. Depends if he wants to go into his plumbing full time now or not.

Given Logan and McGinn have been relatively infrequent this season, I don't see them leaving being a particular issue.

I think Bogbrush is talking about a 'good for the dressing room' type effect.

Logan will end up at Cove IMO.