The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Maybe a bit of a populist shout, but I'd be tempted to give Ethan Ross a start at Parkhead. Possibly give Connor McLennan a decent run of minutes to try and find some form, even though I haven't been impressed since he signed his contract extension. Dean Campbell was our best player today and should hopefully now get a reasonable run of games rather than being in and out. Nothing to lose really in giving the youngsters a decent run in the team now. 

12 hours ago, big al said:

I watched a fair bit of the game, and he wasn’t anywhere near as influential as Hearts would be hoping for. No loss at all.

I didn't think he was that impressive in the other Hearts match I watched recently. Can't remember who it was they were playing. Ayr United?

1 hour ago, DrewDon said:

Maybe a bit of a populist shout, but I'd be tempted to give Ethan Ross a start at Parkhead. Possibly give Connor McLennan a decent run of minutes to try and find some form, even though I haven't been impressed since he signed his contract extension. Dean Campbell was our best player today and should hopefully now get a reasonable run of games rather than being in and out. Nothing to lose really in giving the youngsters a decent run in the team now. 

Kennedy and McGinn were pretty poor today. McGinn's movement was great but I don't think the legs are doing what the head wants.

Sink or swim time for Ross surely? 

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

I didn't think he was that impressive in the other Hearts match I watched recently. Can't remember who it was they were playing. Ayr United?

Hearts issues in the past few years can be summed up by the fact they're sharing a division with Kai Kennedy, Luke McCowan, Danny Armstrong and your very own Ethan Ross, yet decide to sound a fortune on a 31yo injury prone winger.

You lot really need to go 4-4-2. Hayes at LB, Ferguson/McCrorie CMs, Ross as LW, McLennan at RW, Kamberi+1 up front.

Why try and be creative when you've not got creative players? Just run over teams.

4 hours ago, CCB19035 said:

1 win in 9... no goals in almost 5. 

Would any other club with ambitions such as ours sit and accept this? Two trips to Celtic Park coming up, and a home match against Tommy Wrights Killie.

Can anyone see where a goal is coming from?

Probably Kamberi or Ferguson.

1 hour ago, Merkland Red said:

Kennedy and McGinn were pretty poor today. McGinn's movement was great but I don't think the legs are doing what the head wants.

Sink or swim time for Ross surely? 

Yeah, I thought McGinn had some promising moments in the first half, but really faded after half-time. I think Kennedy has been played out of position a fair bit, so I do have a degree of sympathy for him, but I still haven't seen anywhere near enough - I really thought and hoped he would be an important player for us, and maybe with the right manager and system he still can be that player. He couldn't have too many complaints about having a period on the sidelines now, though. 

I don't know much about Ross and haven't seen enough of him yet, but if we're going to trundle along to the end of the season and fourth place, I'd rather do it with some hungry players, hopefully keen to stake a claim and prove a point, who might actually learn and develop from the experience and a decent run in the team. 

3 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Yeah, I thought McGinn had some promising moments in the first half, but really faded after half-time. I think Kennedy has been played out of position a fair bit, so I do have a degree of sympathy for him, but I still haven't seen anywhere near enough - I really thought and hoped he would be an important player for us, and maybe with the right manager and system he still can be that player. He couldn't have too many complaints about having a period on the sidelines now, though. 

I don't know much about Ross and haven't seen enough of him yet, but if we're going to trundle along to the end of the season and fourth place, I'd rather do it with some hungry players, hopefully keen to stake a claim and prove a point, who might actually learn and develop from the experience and a decent run in the team. 

Was messaging a mate during the game and we were both infuriated by Kennedy continuing to run down the left wing even when a team mate had occupied the space and dragged an opponent in to that area. Go inside man.

Sorry..I mean in regards to his contract being done in May this year.

2 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Was messaging a mate during the game and we were both infuriated by Kennedy continuing to run down the left wing even when a team mate had occupied the space and dragged an opponent in to that area. Go inside man.

Sorry..I mean in regards to his contract being done in May this year.

I didn't know his contract was up at the end of the season, to be honest. Hopefully he gets a reasonable chance to show what he can do between now and then - it's not like we have a host of undroppable senior players who should be keeping him out of the picture at the moment. 

It’s hard to get too up nor down about a game played in high winds, but I suppose it has to be a positive that Kamberi managed 90 - and Hornby got another 70, and should now be approaching the ‘match fit’ level where we can start to properly judge if he’ll do a turn for us.

Hayes was a bit of a bombscare at times today - and Kennedy was just infuriating.

The second half was so bad, that was there anyone that didn’t think he would just overhit that free kick on the rare occasion we got a chance to get a decent set piece dead ball in.

All in all though - this will be have done nothing to appease the seething masses.

Let’s see how open this Q&A thing on Tuesday night really is......

19 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

It’s hard to get too up nor down about a game played in high winds, but I suppose it has to be a positive that Kamberi managed 90 - and Hornby got another 70, and should now be approaching the ‘match fit’ level where we can start to properly judge if he’ll do a turn for us.

Hayes was a bit of a bombscare at times today - and Kennedy was just infuriating.

The second half was so bad, that was there anyone that didn’t think he would just overhit that free kick on the rare occasion we got a chance to get a decent set piece dead ball in.

All in all though - this will be have done nothing to appease the seething masses.

Let’s see how open this Q&A thing on Tuesday night really is......

Him taking that free kick after Campbell had just put in a good one was madness. Especially when he hadn't beat the first man once that I can remember.

So many aspects of our play that are fundamentally wrong. Even trying to complete simple basics of football have really caused us problems. 

There's a real lack of leadership which goes hand in hand with a worryingly low level of confidence and composure. Countless times this season a set piece has come into our box and it's been an opposition header who has got first to it. That's despite having one of the tallest teams in the league.

From an attacking point of view, our final ball whether that be a cross/pass is pub league standard. Statistically, we must have the highest percentage of crosses hitting the first man in the league. That also applies to set pieces too, just frustratingly poor. 

The lack of continuity in terms of starting XI's doesn't help. That's what happens when you sign a team full of injury prone players.

There are a few players who are done at this level. As someone said, McGinn has the head but he clearly doesn't have the athleticism to complete what he wants to do. Hayes may as well be an out and out LB as he's clearly lost his technical ability to take someone on. 

For what it's worth, I have no idea where our next win comes from. Lose our next two games and it's the exact same record as last season. 

7 minutes ago, bomberharris said:

So what are your thoughts on Bruce Anderson? His contract up this summer? We will gladly take him off your hands if surplus to requirements 🤞🤞 Hes been the spark we needed up front. He’s already formed a good partnership with big Ogi. 

He's never really had a chance. Been a few question marks over his attitude in the past and recently at Ayr.

Allegedly had a fall out with McInnes.

I know one of the lads who coached him in Juvenile football. He said he's always needed another front man to play off of. Historically we've always played with 1 up top and 2 on the wings (until this season) so he's never really fit.

If McInnes goes I'd like to see him get another chance. If not then there's no point of him being here.

Guest Bob Mahelp

Given that Livi's bubble seems to have burst, and given that we have to score goals to win games to catch Hibs, I suspect that another few draws will probably be enough to limp over the line in 4th place.

I spent the afternoon yesterday watching 2 rugby games and then caught the Dons result at a quarter to 5. I can't be the only Aberdeen fan that is simply shrugging their shoulders at another powderpuff, toothless performance. 

Just another 10 games of this utter shite and we can put it to bed for a few months. 

3 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

He's never really had a chance. Been a few question marks over his attitude in the past and recently at Ayr.

Allegedly had a fall out with McInnes.

I know one of the lads who coached him in Juvenile football. He said he's always needed another front man to play off of. Historically we've always played with 1 up top and 2 on the wings (until this season) so he's never really fit.

If McInnes goes I'd like to see him get another chance. If not then there's no point of him being here.

cheers. Sounds like it’s not a lost cause for us then!  🤞🤞