The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

2 minutes ago, Irrational Behaviour said:

You've just compared two of the best grounds in Scotland to Pittodrie. 

What a choice of comparison! I fuckin wish Pittodrie was like those two. Cappielow is top of the list for when we get back to stadiums for me, and Somerset is one of the most atmospheric grounds Ive been to, and a perfect away day given its proximity to pubs, takeaways and a train station. 

3 minutes ago, Irrational Behaviour said:

They're shit.

They're fine for wee day trips and "ooh look at this old fashioned stadium #AMF", but to actually use them week in, week out would be abysmal, never mind getting charged £20 to sit in 50 year old seats with no legroom and pish against a wall.

Folk wonder why kids prefer to sit at home and watch EPL games while simultaneously wanting us to keep using fucking dumps as grounds. Wild.

3 minutes ago, Irrational Behaviour said:

They're shit.

They're fine for wee day trips and "ooh look at this old fashioned stadium #AMF", but to actually use them week in, week out would be abysmal, never mind getting charged £20 to sit in 50 year old seats with no legroom and pish against a wall.

Folk wonder why kids prefer to sit at home and watch EPL games while simultaneously wanting us to keep using fucking dumps as grounds. Wild.

Just now, RussellAnderson said:

What a choice of comparison! I fuckin wish Pittodrie was like those two. Cappielow is top of the list for when we get back to stadiums for me, and Somerset is one of the most atmospheric grounds Ive been to, and a perfect away day given its proximity to pubs, takeaways and a train station. 

Pish.

Cappielow you're either stuck in the main stand with zero legroom and massive pillars blocking your view, or stuck behind a goal with no shelter.

Somerset you're literally pishing against a wall and eating out a 3rd rate burger van.

They're fine for nostalgia/day trips, but it's not a surprise crowds drop when you're asking them to sit in a dump.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Of course not, but then again, the vast majority of fans at a game aren't going to the pub beforehand, so as long as you have easy, reliable, public transport/road links, its fine.

The ~1000 folk who want to pub it up, and refuse to use the facilities at the stadium to do so, aren't especially relevant when a stadium is going to be earning you millions away from actual football, as presumably Kingsford will be used for functions etc., during the week.

Pubs are not the only reason to discourage thousands of individuals from driving to a football ground, there are plenty of environmental reasons too. 

25 minutes ago, coprolite said:

The age of seats and leg room are undoubtedly two of the biggest factors in the younger generations' leisure choices. An extra 10cm (kenneth please) and a bit of modern ergonomic design would see us at over 20k a game no bother. 

Especially when (typically) younger fans prefer standing anyway. I think Pittodrie's a cracking ground, a few renovations here and there and it's good to go.

27 minutes ago, coprolite said:

The age of seats and leg room are undoubtedly two of the biggest factors in the younger generations' leisure choices. An extra 10cm (kenneth please) and a bit of modern ergonomic design would see us at over 20k a game no bother. 

The younger generation are families, who are trying to make a day of it.

You wonder why other entertainment industries spend millions keeping their facilities up to date when they could just use recycled plastic seats and alleyways as toilets tbh.

11 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

Especially when (typically) younger fans prefer standing anyway. I think Pittodrie's a cracking ground, a few renovations here and there and it's good to go.

It's not much to look at but it really needs the corner beside the away end filled in. One thing I haven't missed this season is watching a game at Pittodrie in the winter.

That aside it doesn't bother me. It's a shitehole but it's our shitehole. My son and nephew haven't declared they aren't coming to a game because it's ugly. They do moan about it being cold though.

11 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

You wonder why other entertainment industries spend millions keeping their facilities up to date when they could just use recycled plastic seats and alleyways as toilets tbh.

The kids I take are happy getting a high five from Angus the Bull or Si the Seagull. 

11 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Pittodrie has proper toilets in all stands you know. If you choose to use the surrounding streets that's on you. 

I do see your point, but i don't think it's that important. If we want families we want players that kids want posters of. No amount of modern facility will get them in otherwise, especially at over £50 a pop for tickets. 

43 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Pish.

Cappielow you're either stuck in the main stand with zero legroom and massive pillars blocking your view, or stuck behind a goal with no shelter.

Somerset you're literally pishing against a wall and eating out a 3rd rate burger van.

They're fine for nostalgia/day trips, but it's not a surprise crowds drop when you're asking them to sit in a dump.

The pie I had at Somerset was one of the best Ive had. Id wager you could get a 3rd rate burger at most stadiums in the country, whether they were brand new or not. Out of curiosity, whats your favourite ground out of: Airdrie, Clyde, Livingston, St Mirren? Which has the best legroom?

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Of course not, but then again, the vast majority of fans at a game aren't going to the pub beforehand, so as long as you have easy, reliable, public transport/road links, its fine.

The ~1000 folk who want to pub it up, and refuse to use the facilities at the stadium to do so, aren't especially relevant when a stadium is going to be earning you millions away from actual football, as presumably Kingsford will be used for functions etc., during the week.

It's quite clearly significantly more than 1,000 supporters at Pittodrie attending pubs before games. Our lowest average attendance over the past 15 years has been a bit above 9,000. More than 1 in 9 people going to Pittodrie go to pubs beforehand.

I'm also pretty doubtful as to the revenue potential from functions at Kingsford given its location and distance from, well, almost anything.