The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

11 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Only by fluke of coefficient, which they’ve contributed virtually nothing to. 

So in short, no. 

10 hours ago, tarapoa said:

the thought of Hibs pinching something which our reasonable consistent Europa performances perhaps deserves in terms of guaranteed group stages is giving me the dry boak.

7 hours ago, G-MAN said:

Hibs are not a bigger team than Aberdeen.

The situation is getting dire in Aberdeen when normally good posters are flinging the toys out the pram about Hibs.

Cheryl Cole Lol GIF by Top Talent

Just now, Leith Green said:

The situation is getting dire in Aberdeen when normally good posters are flinging the toys out the pram about Hibs.

Cheryl Cole Lol GIF by Top Talent

My gripe isn't with Hibs, it's with dishonest arguments against Mcinnes.

It would obviously be a sickener if Hibs take group stage football after 7 years of trying but I take issue with anyone pretending suddenly Jack Ross has outdone anything Mcinnes has achieved in Europe, when it's just a quirk of coefficient/timing.

29 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

It would obviously be a sickener if Hibs take group stage football after 7 years of trying but I take issue with anyone pretending suddenly Jack Ross has outdone anything Mcinnes has achieved in Europe, when it's just a quirk of coefficient/timing.

The same Jack Ross that a growing number of Hibs fans wanted sacked a few weeks ago because they thought he was shite.

Such is football.

6 minutes ago, afc_blockhead said:

The same Jack Ross that a growing number of Hibs fans wanted sacked a few weeks ago because they thought he was shite.

Such is football.

It's just a bit silly. Clearly Jimmy Calderwood was a vastly superior manager, as he got us to the last 32 of the EL?

Guest Bob Mahelp
9 hours ago, CCB19035 said:

The injuries pish annoys me. At the start of the season most the fans agreed that this was the best AFC side, in terms of squad depth, we'd ever seen*. He was still backed fairly well in the summer despite the pandemic. 

In fact, I can't remember a season under McInnes when form has tailed off, that he hasn't blamed injuries. 

That also begs the question, if we are being stricken with injuries more so than our competitors, why is that? Is it training? Is it the fact we sign players with an injury history? Is it the manager rushing them back? 

The injuries problem is too consistent, too prevalent, for it to just be hard luck. 

*- Under Mcinnes

We've now lost the 3 players that were inspiring decent football in the first quarter of the season. Watkins and Hedges to season ending injuries, Wright whom we've sold. Most of our squad depth is in midfield and defence. We've been very light up top for a while now. 

I agree that we seem to have a lot of training inspired injuries, and the club needs to be looking at that. Watkins and Hedges were just things that happen in football though, and that's bad luck.

Presuming that we don't make some kind of miracle recovery in the games left, I think it's pretty fair to say that our season defining moment was Watkins injury. We've hardly kicked a ball since that happened. 

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

I agree with your first point, I am just having a bit of a giggle.......as I am sure you will if we have some catastrophic demise (not unknown for us 😬) in the next 10 matches.

Re the bit in bold, there are no Hibs fans peddling this narrative at all its all those on one side of Aberdeens support - the "DeREk is a RaNJUrs mAn AnD CaNt bE TrUsTEd" lot

As mentioned on the thread the St Mirren fan put up with a H2H of these managers, one has been in the job pretty successfully for 14 years, one is a relative newcomer with 5 years experience, only one year in the premiership.

If Hibs do by some miracle come third we will deserve it (as will Aberdeen or Livi, both of whom are still in contention) its not like they just altered the rules to benefit us, is it?

No different from a championship club winning the scottish cup going into Europe at the expense of a premiership place.

We shoehorned replacements into that shape and it hasn’t worked. I think he should have had a bit more foresight as to how we might deal with injuries etc. 

I think personnel is a part of it, but the last few games have shown other teams know how to stop us playing any football. We seem to have designed a formation that only gives Considine and Hoban time and space on the ball. Other teams figured out you can stand off those 2 and they won’t hurt you with a pass and mark everyone else tightly. Having slow forwards doesn’t help things as we can very rarely stretch the game with decent runs in behind.

6 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

By most accounts I see, Pittodrie drains Aberdeens finances in upkeep costs while bringing in next to nothing in terms of non-matchday money.

Aberdeen need a stadium that makes them money as part of the process to really push on.

I actually agree. If/when Aberdeen move to a new stadium. Aberdeens total annual revenue would go above 20 million. At that stage Hibs and Hearts wouldn't be able to compete with us. A new stadium would help bring the attendances back up.

3 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

That’s got me thinking who the oldest AFC poster on here is? I know that @Jacksgranda is at least a couple of years older than me, so is it you @Jacksgranda?

I'd be curious to know this as well. Both of you have mentioned things from the 60s before, so I guessed you had to be born by at least 1954-ish?

35 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

That’s got me thinking who the oldest AFC poster on here is? I know that @Jacksgranda is at least a couple of years older than me, so is it you @Jacksgranda?

I think this has been done before, and it wasn't me, I'm 68

Edited by Jacksgranda
Typo