The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

9 minutes ago, Golden Gordon said:

Qualifying for Europe became an end in itself, regardless of results in the competition or progress made. 

I think this is very good summation.

You would occasionally hear that a player had signed to play European football. I would think, "well I hope not because we'll be out by the start to mid August". I don't think it ever crossed my mind that we would reach the play-off round let alone the group stages.

That may well continue or we may do better or worse with McInnes in charge but if Cormack has designs on being a Top 100 European club then we'll need to improve, and the evidence had shown that it looked beyond the capabilities of an Aberdeen team guided by Derek McInnes...

34 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

They're no longer occasional though. They were every season and the only way out of it was becoming hard to beat with direct, inefficient football. No matter the opposition.

Fair enough.

Wonder what Roy Aitken's up to these days.

Edited by paranoid android

1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

With the added bonus of both Edinburgh clubs being relegated. Something Aberdeen have never endured.

While what you say here is technically true, it's a bit of a brass neck to claim this as an achievement given the events of the 99/00 season.

Just now, AJF said:

While what you say here is technically true, it's a bit of a brass neck to claim this as an achievement given the events of the 99/00 season.

True, but we still would have needed to take part in Schrodinger's play-off at the end of that season.

4 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

See the source image

Events of 2012.

I'm not sure of the relevance of your post regarding Aberdeen's situation in 99/00? In what way is it hypocritical of me to point out they avoided a relegation play-off through a technicality?

32 minutes ago, AJF said:

3 minutes ago, AJF said:

I'm not sure of the relevance of your post regarding Aberdeen's situation in 99/00? In what way is it hypocritical of me to point out they avoided a relegation play-off through a technicality?

I think it’s the fact of a Rangers fan claiming other fans have a brass neck for claiming something (alleged to be) due to a technicality, whilst simultaneously claiming the history of a defunct business which was awarded to a new start up by the authorities. 

14 hours ago, HibsFan said:

Oh how I wish that was true, but Aberdeen have finished in the relegation zone twice in their history and yet somehow have not suffered either deserved relegation.

There's no 'somehow' about it.

We have NEVER finished in an automatic relegation position.  Twice we finished in a play-off position.

27 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I think it’s the fact of a Rangers fan claiming other fans have a brass neck for claiming something (alleged to be) due to a technicality, whilst simultaneously claiming the history of a defunct business which was awarded to a new start up by the authorities. 

Ah, I see. If that's the angle they were going for there, fair play. It wasn't obvious to me. I thought it had some relevance to relegation somehow.

Some of the names near the bottom of this made me laugh. Nwakali, for me, has to go down as our worst player of the McInnes years - his 'performance' at Hampden against Motherwell before feigning injury was genuinely like watching a fan plucked from the street. 

On a more positive note, McGinn probably the most important over a sustained period of time; Considine the most improved and arguably consistent; and we really never recovered from the loss of McLean - his performances in the second halves of his final two seasons with us were absolutely integral in finishing second those years. 

1 minute ago, DrewDon said:

Some of the names near the bottom of this made me laugh. Nwakali, for me, has to go down as our worst player of the McInnes years - his 'performance' at Hampden against Motherwell before feigning injury was genuinely like watching a fan plucked from the street. 

On a more positive note, McGinn probably the most important over a sustained period of time; Considine the most improved and arguably consistent; and we really never recovered from the loss of McLean - his performances in the second halves of his final two seasons with us were absolutely integral in finishing second those years. 

I know he’s had a lot of injuries but I was still surprised to see guys like Vyner, Hector etc to have played more minutes than Mcgeough.

32 minutes ago, AJF said:

Ah, I see. If that's the angle they were going for there, fair play. It wasn't obvious to me. I thought it had some relevance to relegation somehow.

Not the angle i would have gone for in relation to your post. 

I'd have explained that the rules governing the competition were known to all competitors at the start and applying them fairly was in no way a technicality. I'm sure i could make this a dig at Rangers too but I'm too sad about Derek and can't be bothered. 

6 hours ago, Leith Green said:

Doesnt need to be a criminal - You have heard of James Anderson?

True.

But this shit of him being a massive Hearts fan is clearly a lie.

Why did he never come in to save them from the Robinson era? Romanov coming in and then almost liquidating them? When they were a few days from going bust he did nothing when Budge came in.

Hardly seems the acts of a super rich massive fan