The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

36 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Me too. Given the reported interest from down South I really hope we haven't stretched ourselves too far (if true).

I'd imagine you'll be offering a very competitive package but he's just had another kid so if he's decided he doesn't want to relocate it means he can commute from Dundee, get a decent pay bump compared to what he's on just now (but less than his dream move to Celtic) and while he's a confident guy I'd imagine he'll feel he'll be a guaranteed first name on the team sheet at Aberdeen, which may not be the case if he moved South to a Cardiff or whatever.

11 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Pretty sure I heard on here he had already bought a house in Dundee where he's from a while back so it might so it might just be a case of settling down rather than cash. Aberdeen seem to have upgraded on signing players who were decent up here 4 years ago to just the one so progression imo.

Hopefully you're right but flipside of that is at his age it's probably his last chance to get a high earning contract. It's a decent signing if we're paying him a reasonable amount.

He is at the stage in his career where family and security are probably on a par.  If he was early 20’s I am sure he would take his chances to move south and further his career. 

imho opinion this would be a good move for both parties. Dec is a damn good central defender. Probably as good as Aberdeen could get for the package. He has international experience and may get more.

I would prefer him heading south but understand why he would choose a more local option. 

Underwhelmed a couple of fans say !

Q Aberdeen fans now expecting to be competing with Euro superpowers for players. It is what they do....get ahead of themselves. 

I'm not hugely surprised that Dons supporters would be whelmed about this TBH - Gallagher has been hugely underwhelming this season compared to last. If he recaptures his form from 19/20, they've got a great signing - if they get the 20/21 model, they've got a jobber Premiership centre half.

11 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Underwhelmed a couple of fans say !

Q Aberdeen fans now expecting to be competing with Euro superpowers for players. It is what they do....get ahead of themselves. 

Almost every Motherwell fan is on your page saying they couldn't care less if he leaves for Aberdeen. What is there to be excited about?

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Come On What GIF by MOODMAN

Totally on point.

About to sign an established Scotland International defender and you and A N other said you were underwhelmed. When Motherwell signed Dec we were all very pleased. He has since gone on to get deserved International recognition. 

Capiche ? 
Do You Understand Paramount Network GIF by Yellowstone

3 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Totally on point.

About to sign an established Scotland International defender and you and A N other said you were underwhelmed. When Motherwell signed Dec we were all very pleased. He has since gone on to get deserved International recognition. 

Capiche ? 
Do You Understand Paramount Network GIF by Yellowstone

If you can point out where me and A N other said 'underwhelmed'' literally on this very page then...

the bit of your post I quoted is still drivel.

7 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

If you can point out where me and A N other said 'underwhelmed'' literally on this very page then...

the bit of your post I quoted is still drivel.

Mixed feelings is a partly negative response. It hardly means you are overjoyed at the prospect. So underwhelmed is a fairly accurate depiction imho. You disagree fine. 

I also believe the fans of most other teams (myself included) feel Aberdeen fans have an inflated opinion on how successful your team should be. Especially after McInnes leaves despite qualifying for Europe pretty much every year he was Manager. You will probably disagree again. Fine....

Real Housewives Of Orange County Discussion GIF

1 hour ago, welldaft said:

Mixed feelings is a partly negative response. It hardly means you are overjoyed at the prospect. So underwhelmed is a fairly accurate depiction imho. You disagree fine. 

I also believe the fans of most other teams (myself included) feel Aberdeen fans have an inflated opinion on how successful your team should be. Especially after McInnes leaves despite qualifying for Europe pretty much every year he was Manager. You will probably disagree again. Fine....

Steve Coogan Shrug GIF

59 minutes ago, welldaft said:

You're perfectly entitled to your opinion. 

I'd say qualifying for Europe every year is us hitting par. We've comfortably the third biggest playing budget. Qualifying for Europe doesn't even require us to finish third. It's now four years since we finished where our budget suggests we should. That's not a massive underachievement, but it's an underachievement. 

Personally i think Gallagher would (if he does sign, this is still just paper talk) be a decent signing. He'd be an incremental upgrade on considine, a bit younger and a bit better on the ball. Unsure if he's got hat trick hero abilities though. 

We've been told that we're getting a whole new style and philosophy and that Glass will be backed. Signing Gallagher doesn't support that narrative. That aspect is a bit disappointing. 

1 hour ago, welldaft said:

If Derek McInnes was being solely judged on qualifying for the Europa League qualifying competition then he would've been kept on. He wasn't though and a decision was made that his time was up which I think most Aberdeen supporters agreed with. What other club's supporters think about it is immaterial because you aren't watching us every week...

4 minutes ago, coprolite said:

You're perfectly entitled to your opinion. 

I'd say qualifying for Europe every year is us hitting par. We've comfortably the third biggest playing budget. Qualifying for Europe doesn't even require us to finish third. It's now four years since we finished where our budget suggests we should. That's not a massive underachievement, but it's an underachievement. 

Personally i think Gallagher would (if he does sign, this is still just paper talk) be a decent signing. He'd be an incremental upgrade on considine, a bit younger and a bit better on the ball. Unsure if he's got hat trick hero abilities though. 

We've been told that we're getting a whole new style and philosophy and that Glass will be backed. Signing Gallagher doesn't support that narrative. That aspect is a bit disappointing. 

Not sure about the narrative re Glass as I have not been watching that closely. 

Other than that a decent, understandable and measured response 👍

I don't watch Motherwell that closely except if they are playing against us, but I have read some of their fans on here saying that Gallagher hasn't been particularly good this season. When I saw him last season, however, I thought he was generally excellent - probably the best centre-back outside of the Old Firm. That's why I have mixed feelings about him. Ideally he would be a few years younger too, but that might have made him more likely to go down to England knowing he could probably still get a decent move up here if it didn't work out. 

I suppose it depends on which version of him we are going to see. 

48 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Not sure why you think that “signing Gallagher doesn’t support that narrative.” Do you want us to go with 10 attacking players and Joe Lewis?

Just now, kingjoey said:

Not sure why you think that “signing Gallagher doesn’t support that narrative.” Do you want us to go with 10 attacking players and Joe Lewis?

Probably because he's more in the 'no nonsense' defender category rather than one that suits the increased playing out from the back we've seen glimpses of in recent games.

FWIW I have no issue with Gallagher signing from a football perspective, he is obviously good enough for us. I just not sure he's that good that we should be breaking the bank for him.

3 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Not saying it disproves the narrative but it's not as obviously a change of gear as say, signing a 25 year old South American centre back we've never heard of with a youtube montage of bicycle kicks.