The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

McInnes brought stability for a long time. Eventually it got less exciting and we got more predictable as a team, but he managed the squad well and maintained above average performance for a long time. 

He's gone as we wanted change but with that comes risk - the chance of us sliding backwards next season is much higher than previous years with a complete change in playing style and a squad overhaul at the same time. I'm encouraged by what i've seen and the changes being made at the club that we'll be in a good place going forward, but I think its reasonable to expect the league form to be mixed next year. If Glass can achieve 3rd it will be a hell of an effort in his first full season.

Guest Bob Mahelp

I suppose any lingering doubts come from the fact that Cormack's much heralded links with Atlanta United and the MSL have led to the car crashes that were Gallagher and Hernandez, and the appointment of a manager with absolutely no experience at all (that's no criticism of Glass, but he does need to prove himself). 

Now we're taking an unknown right back on loan from Atlanta reserves (presumably an arrangement that will benefit Atlanta more than us) and apparently gambling on a striker that has never played outside the USA. 

Now, maybe it'll all work out brilliantly. We all hope so. 

Occasionally though, the feeling creeps up on me that Cormack is a mid-Atlantic Romanov......determined to inflict his world shattering masterplan on us, because he has tons of cash and he's great. 

Pint half empty day today guys, sorry. Let's hope I'm wrong. 

16 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I suppose any lingering doubts come from the fact that Cormack's much heralded links with Atlanta United and the MSL have led to the car crashes that were Gallagher and Hernandez, and the appointment of a manager with absolutely no experience at all (that's no criticism of Glass, but he does need to prove himself). 

Now we're taking an unknown right back on loan from Atlanta reserves (presumably an arrangement that will benefit Atlanta more than us) and apparently gambling on a striker that has never played outside the USA. 

Going into the summer without a head of recruitment when we have half a team to replace is a wee bit of a worry (not to say that recruitment was exactly our strong suit before). The US links have not been encouraging so far. Ramirez sounds an expensive gamble. Brown, Gallacher and JET don't exactly tick the boxes for the heralded new style of play and certainly have no growth potential or resale value. 

Not losing the head by any means, just wee niggling concerns. Maybe a couple more signings will assuage them for a while.

I'll not get too up or down until we see how the team and squad looks in mid July.

It's still May at the moment and any chat about having the team complete for pre season training was always pie in the sky.

I'd say I'm slightly surprised we have not pounced yet on any Bosman mid 20s players from England or Europe, but let's see what happens.

13 hours ago, ScottishZizou said:

I know it’s early days. But are alarm bells of “this could easily descend into a farce” ringing to anyone else? 

About 1/3 of the times. The rest of the time is split evenly between "we could be really good" and "meh". 

I intend to be at my most positive just before we get punted out of Europe by a half decent but not great team, probably from Belgium this year. I'll have decided that Glass is a clueless diddy just before we knock one of the cheeks out of a cup and go on an unbeaten streak. 

42 minutes ago, Flammable sheep said:

Going into the summer without a head of recruitment when we have half a team to replace is a wee bit of a worry (not to say that recruitment was exactly our strong suit before). The US links have not been encouraging so far. Ramirez sounds an expensive gamble. Brown, Gallacher and JET don't exactly tick the boxes for the heralded new style of play and certainly have no growth potential or resale value. 

Not losing the head by any means, just wee niggling concerns. Maybe a couple more signings will assuage them for a while.

I'd rather go with no head of recruitment than Russ Richardson.

Every signing is a gamble. 

30 minutes ago, Ryan-FFC said:

What’s dons thoughts on sheerin? Any good?

It's hard to say as he was under McInnes. Some people will probably think he plays a similar style but it was noticeably different when he took over. A lot more emphasis on playing from the back. Whether that was a Glass thing (he said it wasn't) or based on Sheerin's philosophy itself we don't know.

There's probably a good chance we send some young players on loan. He knows them and it would probably suit us to put them somewhere where they will likely play.

What I can say is that he was very well thought of at the club.

40 minutes ago, betting competition said:

Aberdeen announced this before Falkirk did - bit unprofessional that!

Club seem to be making a habit of that kind of thing - the new way........