The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Your lot also said Harkins and McGowan can't play in the same team, I think St Mirren fans should refrain from telling other teams where they can play their own players.

I think it was more that Lennon couldn't play them in the same team without reducing McGowan's effectiveness.I think it's clear what McLean's best position is, his form has improved massively since teale has moved him further forward from the "role" that Craig had him playing

On his game Kenny is as good as anyone in Scotland. He has been playing further forward recently and has scored more goals this season than Guidetti or Goodwillie and the same number as Stokes and half of his have been from midfield in a team at the bottom of the League. 8 Under 21 caps. An absolute steal for Aberdeen at the reported transfer fee. He is at least as good as Armstrong in my opinion and the difference in fees is mindbogling.

It suggests to me that we are getting a fee for one of our players, the only one I can see going for money at the moment is Jack and flood or Robson can play that position so no need for an immediate replacement. Nobody is suggesting it's a straight swap for position.

Could it not just be that increased attendances, the european run, higher prize money (league position and league cup bonus) mean we can afford this now. That, and not having crippling debt repayments.

McInnes will know what is best position for McLean but I would certainly guess that we have him in mind to play in the '2' of the 4-2-3-1 with license to get forward as much as he wants with Jack holding back.

If he is coming in to play further forward then that really puts the cat amongst the pigeons as to who is getting a game and who is on the bench.

Building a great team for next season.

Long term a keeper will be the new 'final piece of the jigsaw' pursuit.

This new croatian defender sounds to have good pedigree too

Possibly but I'm inclined to think that it means someone is off. McInnes said himself when the debt was sorted that we wouldn't be spending money.

More inclined to think its money we had ready to use to bring in Shinnie now but Caley aren't willing to let him go so we've used it elsewhere.

You can't play McLean deep. That is why he's looked so good since Teale came in as he plays behind a striker. He's not as good in the holding role and a bit of a waste in that position.

There was no significant thought given to how they would line up more just to show the real strength Aberdeen have in their starting XI. Hayes has recently played in CM AFAIK so there could easily be some rotation within my hypothetical set up.

Edited by RiG

I have a feeling that we'll lose Jack at the end of the season but get a relatively large fee. I think McLean is a great signing and an absolute bargain for £300k.

He wouldn't replace Jack (at least I hope not) as he's obviously better paying further up the field. Flood/Robson can do a job but a mixture of Flood's energy and Robson's ability would be great!! I wonder if we'd consider bringing Fyvie back in as he'd be more of a better replacement for Jack.

McLean will hopefully light a fire under Pawlett's arse, and we'll get real competition for a central/No.10 role behind the strikers.

Really positive window again with Shinnie & McLean assuming both go through.

Possibly but I'm inclined to think that it means someone is off. McInnes said himself when the debt was sorted that we wouldn't be spending money.

Or, possibly another sign of McInnes good management? Tell the press we aren't going to spend, then pleasantly surprise anyone.

Better than Calderwood's "getting player x back from injury is like a new signing"