The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

If any positives can be taken from Ward leaving, it certainly demonstrates that Liverpool were happy with his loan spell here. If word gets out that we are a good place to develop players then the quality of loans will increase.

If.

Agreed

If any positives can be taken from Ward leaving, it certainly demonstrates that Liverpool were happy with his loan spell here. If word gets out that we are a good place to develop players then the quality of loans will increase.

If.

Josh Parker and Ryan McLaughlin would disagree with you there...

Brown isn't much worse than many other goalkeepers in the Scottish Premiership. He is a competent shot-stopper and appeared to communicate relatively well with his defence. The mistakes at Hampden and Parkhead were major blots in his copybook, but I recall him being hailed by some as the second coming following his initial amassing of clean sheets.

He did seem to be going backwards last season as time progressed, but the cynical side of me wonders how much of that regression was to do with his exposure to Leighton and Langfield. His major identifiable weakness appeared to be his inability to confidently command his own six-yard box. Hopefully training with Marshall and Ward will have improved this.

I don't think Brown will prove to be the long-term solution, and it would undoubtedly be desirable to have Rogers at our immediate disposal, but I think it's more than slightly alarmist to talk of this being a nightmare scenario or suchlike. We've won second place with a choice of Brown and Langfield between the sticks and an inferior selection of outfield players to those available to us now, so there's absolutely no reason we can't do it again this season.

Edited by DrewDon

Brown isn't much worse than many other goalkeepers in the Scottish Premiership. He is a competent shot-stopper and appeared to communicate relatively well with his defence. The mistakes at Hampden and Parkhead were major blots in his copybook, but I recall him being hailed by some as the second coming following his initial amassing of clean sheets.

He did seem to be going backwards last season as time progressed, but the cynical side of me wonders how much of that regression was to do with his exposure to Leighton and Langfield. His major identifiable weakness appeared to be his inability to confidently command his own six-yard box. Hopefully training with Meldrum and Ward will have improved this.

I don't think Brown will prove to be the long-term solution, and it would undoubtedly be desirable to have Rogers at our immediate disposal, but I think it's more than slightly alarmist to talk of this being a nightmare scenario or suchlike. We've won second place with a choice of Brown and Langfield between the sticks and an inferior selection of outfield players to those available to us now, so there's absolutely no reason we can't do it again this season.

I don't think Brown is awful however....I do believe last season he was supported by a settled back 4 that were performing fantastically week in week out. I don't believe our back 4 this season is performing nearly as consistently and are making much more mistakes than last season when Brown amassed those clean sheets.

I don't think Brown is awful however....I do believe last season he was supported by a settled back 4 that were performing fantastically week in week out. I don't believe our back 4 this season is performing nearly as consistently and are making much more mistakes than last season when Brown amassed those clean sheets.

This.

Danny Ward has earned us many points this season, some of his stops were fantastic, and he was consistent in pulling out the big saves. We won't get that with Brown or Rogers and we'll see the above confirmed, the drop in performance across the back 4.

Don't get me wrong, nobody is going to argue that Brown is a better goalkeeper than Ward. But I did think Brown was a sound organiser, and he personally had a big role in our defence performing as consistently well as it did during the run of clean sheets. Ward will be a huge miss, but we have to adjust to the reality of our situation. If Brown is going to be starting games, then we can hope that's he benefited from exposure to Ward and Marshall.

Tyrone from STV has said on Twitter that Houston "doesn't want to fall out with anyone" over Rogers, and that we were good enough to allow Rogers out on loan in the first instance. That would suggest that if we want Rogers back, we perhaps have a decent chance of getting him.

ETA: Marshall, not Meldrum. I must be subconsciously longing for the McGhee days.

Edited by DrewDon

Probably just depressed with playing for the rangers was he not very good at killie

Yes, he was a tremendous goalkeeper for us. He made a couple of high profile howlers - most notably in the Scottish Cup QF against Hibs in his last season, but he also performed very well behind a very ropey defence for a couple of years. His performance in the League Cup final against Celtic was one of the best goalkeeping displays I've seen.

wA41kxQ.jpg

Nice touch.

Agree with most of Bucksburns post above but I think you're dreaming if you think we'll get more than 1 or two new faces in January.

Love these open letters players do which are knocked up on their iPhone notes app then screenshotted and put on Twitter.

Edited by RiG

I heard we were after Cammy Bell a few days ago. My first thoughts were he is a very good keeper, would probably be first choice ahead of Langfield.

I'm sure if it was up to him he'd rather play for Aberdeen than ourselves but maybe Alex Rae's Rangers connections ( secret hand shakes wink wink) have actually paid off!

Foderingham isn't any good and yet he's keeping Bell out the team, no ta. Next ridiculous suggestion please.

Bell has been injured all season I think, Rangers have signed a goalkeeper on loan and will be sending Bell out on loan to get games under his belt, from what I gather anyway.

I heard we were after Cammy Bell a few days ago. My first thoughts were he is a very good keeper, would probably be first choice ahead of Langfield.

I'm sure if it was up to him he'd rather play for Aberdeen than ourselves but maybe Alex Rae's Rangers connections ( secret hand shakes wink wink) have actually paid off!

Makes sense for them to knock us back if it means we're forced into recalling Rogers from Falkirk.