The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Bell is far better than langfield. Some of our fans really need to get a grip.

Having watched the hilarity of the playoff games last year I'm not so sure. Think how much his game will have regressed playing butchers bakers and candlestick makers for three years and now being third choice. Bell would be an awful signing for any Premiership team.

I don't know if he is or not. I'm not in the habit of making statements of fact without at least some knowledge.

Dons fans weeping over the return of the next David de Gea to his parent club citing him as on a par with club legends is highly amusing.

He's had a good half season in a team that is (generally) superior to all bar one in this country. If I had to guess I'd say he looks better than he is to the Dons after years of Clangers and various other impostors and this has caused a huge overestimation of his ability.

I'm not disputing he's a good keeper, I've heard good things, but the hyperbole on here is quite incredible. Some might say a bit of a minter.

ETA if you read back you'll find it was yourself who brought Bain into it and at no point have I said either is the better keeper.

Seems to me you may have an underlying inferiority complex when thinking about Aberdeen keepers in relation to Scott Bain. Minter-tastic.

While some of the stuff said about Ward is possibly OTT given the length of time he was at the club I think you might be doing him down a bit.

It was almost immediately obvious Skiendja (spelling...?) aside, that we had a right good keeper on our books. I can't think of one game where he didn't make a brilliant save at a crucial point (actually maybe Killie away...) to either keep us in the game, or keep us in front etc.

Add to that his command of the area, his communication, his distribution he wasn't just considerably better than Langfield et al, he was light years ahead, you could just tell.

Personal opinion but I do believe 1. he is better than Bain and 2. he will end up playing at a very high level if not Liverpool then premier league football regularly somewhere.

Bell still gels his hair in the style of a 14 year old cider drinker at the local park on the weekends.

Is that what Aberdeen want in goals?

I think not.

This.

I think a lot of people are forgetting that not only was Ward the goalkeeping messiah, he also was exceptionally handsome in a boyband sorta way. Adam Collin just isn't up to scratch.

This.

I think a lot of people are forgetting that not only was Ward the goalkeeping messiah, he also was exceptionally handsome in a boyband sorta way. Adam Collin just isn't up to scratch.

That's true. Ward was also the best looking SPFL keeper since Gordon's Hearts' days. Collin just has nothing on him.

He's had a good half season in a team that is (generally) superior to all bar one in this country. If I had to guess I'd say he looks better than he is to the Dons after years of Clangers and various other impostors and this has caused a huge overestimation of his ability.

Clangers (and Scott Brown) both played in Aberdeen teams that finished in the top 3/4, but still didn't impress all that much. You knew there was always a disaster around the corner.

Jason Brown had the mobility of an oil tanker. Mark Howard would make one error and then go to pieces. Bertrand Bossu looked like a Praying Mantis who had only recently introduced to football, and I bet most people forget that Stuart Nelson even existed. Then there was David Gonzalez, who despite not doing anything memorably awful, never seemed to make any actual saves either.

Ward was much more than decent. Watching him play you had complete confidence in him. It's very difficult to judge on the terrible highlights you get, but I don't think I could say that about many other keepers in the division (certainly not Mannus, who has been mentioned).

Adam Collin has officially signed.

Good luck to the lad. Hope he has a fantastic time up here. But this feels a bit like the Paul Quinn signing, a bit of an underwhelming journeyman.

On the topic of Quinn, strong rumours that he is off back to Ross County after Sunday's game. If so, good luck to the guy. Sadly, he has proven our scepticism right - not good enough. Dived in to too many challenges. Memorable for the goal against Celtic and thankfully not for the colossal f**k up of a back header he made just after which Griffiths should have buried.

McInnes in his press conference today:

"Nothing has changed in terms of transfers but we're a bit short in the middle of the park with Ryan and Willo both out.

We may be looking to bring one in and for nobody to go out."

Given the extent to which Derek plays his cards close to his chest, "we may be looking to bring one in" probably means a deal for another player is 95% done.

Good luck to the lad. Hope he has a fantastic time up here. But this feels a bit like the Paul Quinn signing, a bit of an underwhelming journeyman.

On the topic of Quinn, strong rumours that he is off back to Ross County after Sunday's game. If so, good luck to the guy. Sadly, he has proven our scepticism right - not good enough. Dived in to too many challenges. Memorable for the goal against Celtic and thankfully not for the colossal f**k up of a back header he made just after which Griffiths should have buried.

Rotherham United fans seem to rate him highly which remember they are a championship team. Quinn just hasn't worked out, thought he would be a fantastic. Heard rumours we are after another Ross County player so I wonder if it is a swap deal with Quinn

Edited by Milners

Heard rumours we are after another Ross County player so I wonder if it is a swap deal with Quinn

Read it was Liam Boyce - wouldn't have thought they'd want to involve him in any swap for Quinn unless we're also giving them a fee.

For what its worth, I think we'll sign Don Cowie on loan and then sign him permanently in the summer.

Read it was Liam Boyce - wouldn't have thought they'd want to involve him in any swap for Quinn unless we're also giving them a fee.

For what its worth, I think we'll sign Don Cowie on loan and then sign him permanently in the summer.

It wasn't Boyce

Edited by Milners

Paul Quinn about to leave the club as his family haven't settled in Aberdeen, was solid enough as a back-up centre back and provided us with the utter #scenes against Celtic at home. I would expect us to bring someone in on loan to keep the same depth in the squad, not sure if the likes of Rose or Culjak are ready for the step up yet.

It's a pity that it hasn't quite worked out for Paul Quinn. His goal against Celtic provided arguably our sweetest victory of 2015, and I'll remember fondly his crunching, goal-saving tackle against Shkendija in Skopje.

I gave Don Cowie's name a quick search on Twitter a couple of days ago, and some of the results would suggest that Wigan's fans aren't too enamoured by him. I faintly recall being quite impressed when he played in Scotland, but I haven't closely followed his fortunes since. It would be good to have another option in the middle though, especially with Jack and Flood currently on the treatment table.

Share a similar opinion with some who are a bit ho-hum about Cowie.

Pretty decent SPL player but not a stand out. One of those players who suddenly seemed to be good enough for an International call up when he left god's country to ply his trade in England. I'm sure Deek has forgotten more about the game than I ever knew but Storrie played quite well yesterday and Cammy Smith, IMO, is not used enough.