The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Mcinnes strength in recruitment wasn’t in identifying players but selling himself and the club to players who might otherwise have gone elsewhere. not sure any of his unknown quantity signings were good. 

the clubs recruitment/scouting has been fairly embarrassing for as long as I can remember. 

Cosgrove was a success in that we signed him for peanuts, he scored a decent amount of goals and we got a decent fee. Crazy to know that initial purple patch in the December saved him.

5 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Cosgrove was a success in that we signed him for peanuts, he scored a decent amount of goals and we got a decent fee. Crazy to know that initial purple patch in the December saved him.

:lol: I actually completely forgot cosgrove there, fair shout. 

8 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

The last paragraph hints that budgets are key?

McInnes budget was significantly better than the teams around him.

Not to the same degree I admit, but it was better.

His overall record in transfers was average. 

If it’s all about budgets, what’s the explanation for Hearts and Hibs records over the past 8 years?

Think one of the things about Derek was he preferred to operate a smaller squad with a higher average wage per player. He often used a big chunk of his budget on the ‘marquee’ signings. This had two implications:

- it left him very little budget wiggle room to build a squad, and we ended up with loans like Parker, burns, monakana, nwakali etc which I think most folk would rather he took risks on youth than playing these guys

- he gambled on the squad remaining largely fit throughout, a gamble that basically paid off in his first few years then backfired spectacularly in the latter years. Although I don’t think that’s purely down to luck as I think he was too willing to sign high profile players with injury history and hope for the best. 

4 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Think one of the things about Derek was he preferred to operate a smaller squad with a higher average wage per player. He often used a big chunk of his budget on the ‘marquee’ signings. This had two implications:

- it left him very little budget wiggle room to build a squad, and we ended up with loans like Parker, burns, monakana, nwakali etc which I think most folk would rather he took risks on youth than playing these guys

- he gambled on the squad remaining largely fit throughout, a gamble that basically paid off in his first few years then backfired spectacularly in the latter years. Although I don’t think that’s purely down to luck as I think he was too willing to sign high profile players with injury history and hope for the best. 

On the second point, I think there's the widely suspected lack of quality training at play there as well.

4 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

On the second point, I think there's the widely suspected lack of quality training at play there as well.

I’ll freely admit I know nothing of the training methods or the merit of them, but it’s fair to say we went 4 years with very little injury issues. Maybe that was just very lucky?

Anyway you could be right but I won’t opine on something I know very little of. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
9 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

His record is average… just because it’s better than Hibs or Hearts (which it is) doesn’t mean it’s not average.

It just means Hibs & Hearts was absolute shite in the main. 

I think I've already said that the best almost any manager at any club can expect out of signings....especially over a 7 year period.....is pretty much 'average'. 

The OF sign utter shite every season. The reason they win things is because the 50% of players they sign who ARE good, tend to be much higher quality than those the rest of us sign. 

It's in the nature of every football fan to get bored with and critical of their club's manager when he's been there for a few years and isn't winning everything in sight. I don't believe that McInnes's signing policy was as bad as some would make out. 

1 hour ago, Illgresi said:

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

I’ll freely admit I know nothing of the training methods or the merit of them, but it’s fair to say we went 4 years with very little injury issues. Maybe that was just very lucky?

Anyway you could be right but I won’t opine on something I know very little of. 

It'll be interesting to see if Glass avoids more injuries than McInnes. There was always speculation that McInnes only had the training at a decent intensity on a Friday morning and otherwise they were just dossing about. I won't claim to know anything about sports science but it would be a sensible guess to say that would cause muscle injuries to be more likely than training at the same intensity all week.

2 minutes ago, d31 said:

It'll be interesting to see if Glass avoids more injuries than McInnes. There was always speculation that McInnes only had the training at a decent intensity on a Friday morning and otherwise they were just dossing about. I won't claim to know anything about sports science but it would be a sensible guess to say that would cause muscle injuries to be more likely than training at the same intensity all week.

There's undoubtedly a balance to be struck. I would think with modern technology; monitoring, recovery techniques, supplements etc, it would be exceedingly hard to overtrain professional sportsmen unless they have underlying physical issues.

However it seems entirely logical that dossing about all week then playing/training at high intensity for a small part of the week would tend to cause issues. I say that purely from my own experience of sitting at a desk all week and then climbing hills at the weekend!

9 hours ago, DrewDon said:

Fraser never played under McInnes - he was given his debut by McGhee, sold under Brown. Jack made his first-team debut in 2010 under McGhee and must have had close to 100 senior appearances under his belt by the time McInnes arrived. 

Of Jack's 100 or so appearances about 98 would have been at right back. McInnes didn't give him his break but he was instrumental in his development. 

1 hour ago, d31 said:

Weirdly been similar discussions amongst Everton fans with Benitez coming in...as apparently at Madrid he only liked the players at 85% fit. 

"When it comes to preventing injuries, Paco de Miguel has a very simple theory. "The closer a player is to peak physical fitness, the higher risk of injury there is". That is why Benítez's right-hand man prefers to have his players at around 85% of their peak fitness levels" .Link to article in Marca

As always, the truth will be somewhere in the middle. Non Scottish and English players are more likely to have a better diet and attitude to looking after themselves in general. So it will depend on what players you have in the squad and what system and intensity you are going to ask them to play on match days. An intense Friday morning session isnt enough if you are going to ask them to press and run constantly for 90mins.

Aye Cove which was obviously cancelled, then Caley, then St Johnstone and Reading on the same day. All at Cormack Park so they said. 

It does not feel like sufficient prep for Hacken but I guess the Ross County outbreak adds weight to the argument to take no risks and control the environment

2 hours ago, d31 said:

Aye Cove which was obviously cancelled, then Caley, then St Johnstone and Reading on the same day. All at Cormack Park so they said. 

It does not feel like sufficient prep for Hacken but I guess the Ross County outbreak adds weight to the argument to take no risks and control the environment

Is caley game meant to be today?