The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

I heard both teams were in for him.
Injury prone, but only 22. 
Only 22 but has had been carrying a back injury for the last 5 years. Very talented lad but only managed 2 full 90min games in the last 2 years. Used basically as a sub for us coming on the last 20 mins. Too unfit to track back and cannot tackle. It is a real shame about his bad back as there is a lot of talent there and would be excellent if fully fit. But has never been fit for us nor Derby County.

5 minutes ago, NorthBank said:
21 minutes ago, Afc69 said:
I heard both teams were in for him.
Injury prone, but only 22. 

Only 22 but has had been carrying a back injury for the last 5 years. Very talented lad but only managed 2 full 90min games in the last 2 years. Used basically as a sub for us coming on the last 20 mins. Too unfit to track back and cannot tackle. It is a real shame about his bad back as there is a lot of talent there and would be excellent if fully fit. But has never been fit for us nor Derby County.

I thought it was a knee injury he was managing?

Did find it weird that, despite his obvious talent, he always started from the bench.

10 minutes ago, Afc69 said:

I thought it was a knee injury he was managing?

Did find it weird that, despite his obvious talent, he always started from the bench.

It's never been his knee.

It was a chronic groin injury for many years that has always had plenty of careful physio but it only transpired in the last 18 months or so that the problems in his groin were stemming from an undiagnosed back injury.

It's hard to imagine we would be signing mcallister unless maybe it was a swap deal to move on one of our out of favour players.

Either than or he shares an agent with Brown and Gallagher.

6 minutes ago, d31 said:

It's hard to imagine we would be signing mcallister unless maybe it was a swap deal to move on one of our out of favour players.

Either than or he shares an agent with Brown and Gallagher.

Put it this way, if it's a swap for someone like Matty Kennedy, I'll put McAllister on my back and carry him up to Pittodrie.

Just now, djchapsticks said:

Put it this way, if it's a swap for someone like Matty Kennedy, I'll put McAllister on my back and carry him up to Pittodrie.

Yea Kennedy (or McLennan or Ojo (especially Ojo) or McGeouch) is the only way I could really fathom it.

Just now, d31 said:

Yea Kennedy (or McLennan or Ojo (especially Ojo) or McGeouch) is the only way I could really fathom it.

It won't be Ojo or McGeouch. We're looking specifically and probably exclusively at wide players so Kennedy or McLennan would be the only real options if that is the case.

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

It won't be Ojo or McGeouch. We're looking specifically and probably exclusively at wide players so Kennedy or McLennan would be the only real options if that is the case.

Fair enough. Well it will be a fairly random one if it is true.

1 minute ago, d31 said:

Fair enough. Well it will be a fairly random one if it is true.

It says a lot that Jim Goodwin is publicly pursuing width and pace as it's the area of the squad we are still a bit short, but is seemingly happy enough to let someone who occupies that area of the park, leave.

14 minutes ago, d31 said:

What's the story with Ojo anyway? Apart from the obvious hilarity of Aberdeen gazumping Hibs to him then McInnes apparently not knowing what to do with him. I know he was loaned out to Wigan last season and seemingly did alright?

Reason I ask is it was Alexander who brought him to the UK when he signed him for Scunthorpe and we're in the market for midfielders. We've already seen Alexander bring in one of his former players in Van Veen and I'm pretty sure our HoR worked with Ojo in his stint as manager when he took over from Alexander at Scunthorpe.

Given we've pushed the boat out a bit to bring in Kelly I half-wondered if we might take a look at Ojo if Glass is keen to get rid.

What sort of a midfielder is he supposed to be?

Edited by capt_oats

11 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

It says a lot that Jim Goodwin is publicly pursuing width and pace as it's the area of the squad we are still a bit short, but is seemingly happy enough to let someone who occupies that area of the park, leave.

This.

If he's not good enough for St Mirren he certainly isn't good enough for St Johnstone or Aberdeen. 

1 minute ago, capt_oats said:

What's the story with Ojo anyway? Apart from the obvious hilarity of Aberdeen gazumping Hibs to him then McInnes apparently not knowing what to do with him. I know he was loaned out to Wigan last season and seemingly did alright?

Reason I ask is it was Alexander who brought him to the UK when he signed him for Scunthorpe and we're in the market for midfielders. We've already seen Alexander bring in one of his former players in Van Veen and I'm pretty sure our HoR worked with Ojo in his stint as manager when he took over from Alexander at Scunthorpe.

Given we've pushed the boat out a bit to bring in Kelly I half-wondered if we might take a look at Ojo if Glass is keen to get rid.

What sort of a midfielder is he supposed to be?

He’s a decent defensive midfielder. He was very good his first few months at Pittodrie then seemed to fall out of favour. He became something of a target for fans ire as well - think he was an easy target in that he’s never going to be a flashy player. He’s a competent enough player and would do a decent job for most teams in the Premiership - I’d include Aberdeen in that if he can find the form of his first few months at Pittodrie.

Just now, tree house tam said:

This.

If he's not good enough for St Mirren he certainly isn't good enough for St Johnstone or Aberdeen. 

I mean, he's definitely good enough for St. Mirren. I'd argue on ability alone, he's good enough for most teams in the league but ability alone isn't the only factor at play with the lad.

It's a shame. He got a move at 17 to an established championship club and it was fully expected that he'd kick on much in the way Ryan Fraser did but he showed up with an injury that meant he didn't get to kick a ball for the best part of 10 months. That killed any momentum he had dead in the water and since then, he's always been playing catch up.

I guess I'm being harsh to write him off as a player at this level at only 22 and he's still good enough to be an impact sub on his day but we brought him in as a sort of marquee signing after a successful but inconsistent loan spell but he's just not been able to get full 90 minutes under his belt at all. He definitely suits coming on in the last 20 mins of matches better than he suits playing the first 60-65.

I suspect Ojo is a classic case of a confidence player.  In his first season at Scunthorpe the team was doing well and many Scunthorpe fans regarded him not only as the best player in the side but the best in the division.  The next season, the team struggled and fans thought Ojo, though still decent, was inclined to hide and not the inspiration player he'd been.

Still, his stats pointed to a better player than clubs on our/Hibs budget could normally afford, while his contractual position meant he could come to Scotland on the (relative) cheap.  Hence our tug of war with Hibs.

He looked promising for us initially but almost his first real contribution of note was to get himself sent off early on in the second leg of a European tie effectively killing our interest in the competition.  It was a ludicrously harsh decision, but potentially a very costly one for the club and Ojo must have felt some responsibility.  That could have had a crushing effect on a player with fragile confidence trying to prove his worth at a new club.  Soon after he was injured and out for weeks.  My guess is his confidence never recovered from his terrible start and we've never seen his better side.

The $64K question is can Glass and his team find it?  Sometimes a player who has a long period of not doing himself justice needs to find a new club,  but possibly a new management team can do the trick.  Let's hope so.