The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

21 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

Speak up. Can't hear you from the lofty heights of third place.

Robson* should give it the Fergie treatment today:

"And I'm not caring, getting third doesn't matter. Our standards are now set and we're not going to accept that performance from any Aberdeen team"

I'm sick that type of performance at Parkhead.

*Although it was Robson's tactics that set the stage for that abysmal performance today

image.thumb.png.e6fc668205319f3cef0e0dc74ee117c5.png

Edited by Bogbrush1903

7 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

With potentially 16 players set to leave the club where do we need to strengthen this window? What do others hope to see happen recruitment wise?

Assuming celtic win the cup, we're going to need a much bigger squad, with enough players to comfortably rotate and still maintain a high enough standard in the league against diddies like Hearts.

I'd prefer to see a young lad like Ritchie go on a meaningful loan again, so would be happy of Lewis stays on. Overall I'd like to see the squad (assuming we stick with 3 CBs) like:

GK: Roos, +1 (Lewis)

RWB: McCrorie (or first choice replacement, Ramsay back on loan?), Devlin, Richardson

CB: Macdonald, +3 senior CBs (Scales?, Idzes?, Pollock?), +1 backup (big Joe?), +2 laddies (Milne, new deal for Hancock?)

LWB: +1 First choice, MacKenzie, Hayes

CM: Shinnie?, Ramadani, Barron, +1 senior (Clarkson?), +1 backup, +1 laddie (Lobban ready?)

AM: +1 First choice (Chakvetadze?), Besuijen, Duncan, Roberts

ST: Miovski, Duk, +1 senior (Van Veen?), Bavidge, +1 Backup (Watkins extension?)

That would give us a squad of 30* including the sprinkling of laddies; minimum we'll need.

*31 if you include Morris, which I'm not.

Edited by Illgresi

5 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

Assuming celtic win the cup, we're going to need a much bigger squad, with enough players to comfortably rotate and still maintain a high enough standard in the league against diddies like Hearts.

I'd prefer to see a young lad like Ritchie go on a meaningful loan again, so would be happy of Lewis stays on. Overall I'd like to see the squad (assuming we stick with 3 CBs) like:

RWB: McCrorie (or first choice replacement, Ramsay back on loan?), Devlin, Richardson

CB: Macdonald, +3 senior CBs (Scales?, Idzes?, Pollock?), +1 backup (big Joe?), +2 laddies (Milne, new deal for Hancock?)

LWB: +1 First choice, MacKenzie, Hayes

CM: Shinnie?, Ramadani, Barron, +1 senior (Clarkson?), +1 backup, +1 laddie (Lobban ready?)

AM: +1 First choice (Chakvetadze?), Besuijen, Duncan, Roberts

ST: Miovski, Duk, +1 senior (Van Veen?), Bavidge, +1 Backup (Watkins extension?)

That would give us a squad of 30* including the sprinkling of laddies; minimum we'll need.

*31 if you include Morris, which I'm not.

Too many players in there who are clearly miles off it & not good enough, but the difficulty is they’re under contract.

I’m talking MacKenzie (horrendous today again), Richardson, Morris. 
Ideally I’d be offloading them but that won’t be easy. 

2 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Too many players in there who are clearly miles off it & not good enough, but the difficulty is they’re under contract.

I’m talking MacKenzie (horrendous today again), Richardson, Morris. 
Ideally I’d be offloading them but that won’t be easy. 

Totally agree, but tried to be realistic. I still have hopes for MacKenzie though, I thought he looked like a great prospect when he first came through. Absolutely struggled since coming back from injury though. Needs to step it up next season.

34 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

Totally agree, but tried to be realistic. I still have hopes for MacKenzie though, I thought he looked like a great prospect when he first came through. Absolutely struggled since coming back from injury though. Needs to step it up next season.

McKenzie is 23 now. He’s not in the “promising youngster category”.

He’s probably played close to 50 games & looked uncomfortable in the vast majority. 
To me, his level would be Inverness/Ayr/Morton etc.

Think todays match showed how much work still to be done

Think we need two Centre half’s, a centre mid, a target man striker, and first choice full backs alongside a sub keeper. Perhaps also a decent utility man.

Would Steven Fletcher be a ridiculous shout for a squad striker for next season?

2 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

McKenzie is 23 now. He’s not in the “promising youngster category”.

He’s probably played close to 50 games & looked uncomfortable in the vast majority. 
To me, his level would be Inverness/Ayr/Morton etc.

I like Jack McKenzie but he had a nightmare today. Feel a bit sorry for him not playing for weeks and gets thrown in against a Celtic team roasting us. 

1 hour ago, scottorae said:

Think todays match showed how much work still to be done

Think we need two Centre half’s, a centre mid, a target man striker, and first choice full backs alongside a sub keeper. Perhaps also a decent utility man.

Would Steven Fletcher be a ridiculous shout for a squad striker for next season?

Yes.

21 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I like Jack McKenzie but he had a nightmare today. Feel a bit sorry for him not playing for weeks and gets thrown in against a Celtic team roasting us. 

Mackenzie is a LB suited to a back 4, but has started only 2 league games this season in his natural position, the first two wins in Robson's winning streak. He's had to cover LCH due to the recruitment mess and covered LWB a few times (remember wins against Hearts and Motherwell from memory). Playing out of position (again) today after no start in months against a dominant Celtic. Next season we must have a full squad where players play in their natural positions. Be clear on the style of play and recruit properly.

27 minutes ago, Sheepster said:

Mackenzie is a LB suited to a back 4, but has started only 2 league games this season in his natural position, the first two wins in Robson's winning streak. He's had to cover LCH due to the recruitment mess and covered LWB a few times (remember wins against Hearts and Motherwell from memory). Playing out of position (again) today after no start in months against a dominant Celtic. Next season we must have a full squad where players play in their natural positions. Be clear on the style of play and recruit properly.

Fair points Jack.👍

5 hours ago, Illgresi said:

I took Lewis's reaction at full-time in midweek as an indication that he will move on. 

He was very good for the most part under McInnes, but he looked completely done this season when he did play and I wouldn't want to be relying on him if Roos got an injury next season. It is the correct time for both parties to part ways, I think. 

3 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

I took Lewis's reaction at full-time in midweek as an indication that he will move on. 

And his reaction today. He was the last player over at the fans after the match. He was definitely waving goodbye. 

Lewis can't be on a small wage either. If he does go his replacement will probably be half the wage, and frees up a bit of money for elsewhere in the squad.

Have to think that Kennedy is gone in the summer, and some questions over Barron, Dean Campbell and Besuijen. I'd be hopeful of keeping them as they are more than good enough to be in the size of squad that Aberdeen will probably have to have next season.