The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

https://www.afc.co.uk/2018/09/11/the-manager-quotes-from-redtv-interview/

Manager on Michael Devlin Appeal

“It really angers me and saddens me really that we can’t come to, what I feel was the only verdict.  

“Referees makes mistakes and we’ve been victims in the last couple of games of referees mistakes and we accept that, but when there’s an appeal process there you would expect that then to get to the right result and right outcome.  

“In the last four or five of these appeal processes with different clubs there just doesn’t seem to be that common sense conclusion. I think it goes right across the board. As manager I have a vested interest in Mikey’s case, but I think supporters, journalists and people in the game, everyone had the same opinion and we’re all baffled by these decisions.  

“It’s nothing about bias. Every club gets punished or maybe gets a wee bit of leeway at some point, but for me it’s the incompetence of these panels and it really puts into question when you come up with the outcomes that’s been made in the last wee while. Especially the Devlin one for us because that’s obviously our concern. These appeal processes are almost like a VAR after the event, so we can get to the right conclusion because we all accept referees make mistakes, but I just can’t for the life of me understand why Michael being fouled in the first place and then Shay getting around and covering would have been the case.

“I just felt it was an opportunity missed to make the right decision, but that’s been pretty standard the last while. It just means people lose confidence in the whole process and it will make you think twice about appealing again in the future because it’s so disappointing we haven’t got Mikey available. We get punished because he was sent off after four minutes. We get punished for the Kilmarnock game and we’re now getting punished for the St Johnstone game for something I think should have been dealt with in the right manner.”

Just watched a superb interview with Bobby Clark on Red TV. For those of us who grew up with Bobby Clark in our goal for 99% of the time between 1965 and 1980, it’s just brilliant stuff.

Yip a fantastic interview - most interviews only go on about 6 minutes but Bobby Clark is nearly 30 minutes and Andrew Shinie hardly asked a question too.

I was a goalkeeper as a youngster, and Bobby Clark was my hero.   I even perfected his trademark stance,  the one where he's decided he's not going to reach the ball, so why bother diving for it.

Was never one for theatrics or wasted effort, I just wish I’d seen him in the no. 5 shirt [emoji23]

That’s the reasons for not upholding the red card for Michael Devlin up on the SFA Disciplinary website (I’m not bright enough to post the link).

There is no mention whatsoever in the reasoning regarding the fact that,  a split second before Devlin is adjudged to have fouled Brophy, Brophy undeniably fouls Devlin, and no mention whatsoever about Logan coming across to cover. It states that there is no player between Brophy and the goal. Now that is 100% correct, but the point surely being that by the time Brophy reaches a shooting distance, Logan would have been there. Utter trash.

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

That’s the reasons for not upholding the red card for Michael Devlin up on the SFA Disciplinary website (I’m not bright enough to post the link).

There is no mention whatsoever in the reasoning regarding the fact that,  a split second before Devlin is adjudged to have fouled Brophy, Brophy undeniably fouls Devlin, and no mention whatsoever about Logan coming across to cover. It states that there is no player between Brophy and the goal. Now that is 100% correct, but the point surely being that by the time Brophy reaches a shooting distance, Logan would have been there. Utter trash.

Here is the link:

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/media/4270/reasons-fast-track-tribunal-devlin-aberdeen-fc.pdf

I think it is unlikely that AFC's submissions did not include Brophy's shirt pull since they've tweeted pictures of it. So one assumes the panel have decided not to consider it, or note it formed part of AFC's submissions. So that's fine. 

On 05/09/2018 at 12:30, williemillersmoustache said:

Good statement though

Saw it pointed out on twitter that Mckenna barging into Morellos was considered as evidence for having his red card overturned but Brophy fouling Devlin first wasn’t looked at at all. No wonder people are pissed off at that level of inconsistency.

Also, from Mcinnes’ press conference today it looks like Wilson is still out this weekend but Mckenna should be back.

Aberdeen FC finds the explanation provided by the SFA in relation to the Michael Devlin red card appeal unacceptable.

The club maintains its view that the player was wrongfully dismissed, that the evidence presented was a robust defence and was overwhelmingly compelling in the player’s favour.

In light of recent decisions taken by the SFA, the club believes it is imperative for the country’s football authorities to establish consistency and transparency in the appeal and referral process and will engage in dialogue with the SPFL in this regard to seek their assistance.

Furthermore, at a time when technology is making a significant and positive impact across sport, the club believes that the impact of the VAR system trials in the English Premier League need to be considered if stakeholders in the game are going to regain trust in the process.

AFC is aware that the views we have expressed are held by many who have found key appeal and referral decisions this year perplexing and want to see the governing body dealing with this proactively, with a consistent and transparent appeals process high up on the agenda.

Doing so would enhance the game’s integrity, greatly assist referees, improve the game for fans and, ultimately, the perception of Scottish football.

Official statement up on the club site now.

The Aberdeen statement is massive. Surely the SFA/SPFL or whoever must respond to it in one way or another, and maybe, just maybe, other clubs will now put their heads above the parapet and get this revolution moving. Craig Gordon’s comments are totally irrelevant, as he’s just annoyed that a Rangers player wasn’t disciplined, and his club are one of two benefiting from this incompetence that just gets worse as the season progresses, and we’re only in September. I’m sure that he wasn’t bothered when Scott Brown wasn’t cited for his elbow in the Hearts game. 

10 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

A tremendous statement.  Expect a points deduction and Shinnie to get a lifetime ban.

All joking aside, Aberdeen have to go all the way with this one and back up Stephen Clarke and Kilmarnock, citing as bad, or worse, comments coming from Steven Gerrard and Ryan Jack this season with no punishment whatsoever.

6 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

All joking aside, Aberdeen have to go all the way with this one and back up Stephen Clarke and Kilmarnock, citing as bad, or worse, comments coming from Steven Gerrard and Ryan Jack this season with no punishment whatsoever.

I don't know what "go all the way" means in this context but aye, f**k em.

2 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

I don't know what "go all the way" means in this context but aye, f**k em.

As a minimum, we have to keep at the SFA/SPFL until they come out and explain the rationale behind Morelos, Brown/Naismith, McGregor (twice), Dicker, Devlin, Clarke/Kilmarnock, Gerrard and Jack. Astonishingly every one of these decisions was judged in the wrong way, in the vast majority of fans minds, and the fans need answers, for once.