The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

21 minutes ago, Romeo said:

That is a pretty embarrassing statement. Begging fans to buy tickets for a cup semi final.

Seems a pretty standard statement from the club encouraging fans to buy tickets that aren't sold out. If anything the only difference is that it shows a hint of annoyance that the fans haven't responded to the club's effort to get the tickets.

1 hour ago, Rodhull said:

Seems a pretty standard statement from the club encouraging fans to buy tickets that aren't sold out. If anything the only difference is that it shows a hint of annoyance that the fans haven't responded to the club's effort to get the tickets.

Perhaps the club should have shown less apathy towards the fans desire to improve the squad in the summer...

2 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

Perhaps the club should have shown less apathy towards the fans desire to improve the squad in the summer...

Aye the club was actively trying not to improve the squad to annoy the fans right enough. That's a cringe worthy statement at any time but even more so as a justification for not buying tickets for a semi final. 

On 09/10/2018 at 06:26, kingjoey said:

If we take one of your points in isolation. You will not give anyone credit for appointing Derek McInnes as our manager, because the club have appointed poor managers in the past. You really have to move on man. And if any Aberdeen supporter thinks that we will sell anything like 25,000 tickets for a semi final in Glasgow, they need their head examined. When has that ever happened? The club have to be seen to get the best deal for the fans, but the fans will not respond. I’ll be there as usual along with about 12/15,000 others.

Just call me Mystic Meg.

Guest Bob Mahelp
18 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

You'd think we were relegation fodder the way some of our support act at times

On the other side of the coin,  AFC asked people to invest (heavily) in the AberDNA scheme with the promise that the funds would be invested in 'the footballing side' of the club.

Thousands of fans willingly bought an AberDNA membership only to find that our 'investment in the footballing side of the club' amounted to 2  English lower league players, neither of whom can actually get a game. 

A comparatively well-off club in Scottish terms, and apparently a team with ambition, AFC have no effective strikers in the squad and are incapable of scoring more than one goal in a game, unless it's against St Mirren. On top of that, the fans have watched Hearts, Rangers and Hibs invest heavily in their squads and there's no doubt that all 3 of these teams (plus possibly Kilmarnock) are at this moment ahead of us in many ways......not least in entertainment value. 

I know it's a cup semi-final, but in many ways it's hard to blame Aberdeen fans for shrugging their shoulders over this one and giving it a miss. 

3 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

On the other side of the coin,  AFC asked people to invest (heavily) in the AberDNA scheme with the promise that the funds would be invested in 'the footballing side' of the club.

Thousands of fans willingly bought an AberDNA membership only to find that our 'investment in the footballing side of the club' amounted to 2  English lower league players, neither of whom can actually get a game. 

A comparatively well-off club in Scottish terms, and apparently a team with ambition, AFC have no effective strikers in the squad and are incapable of scoring more than one goal in a game, unless it's against St Mirren. On top of that, the fans have watched Hearts, Rangers and Hibs invest heavily in their squads and there's no doubt that all 3 of these teams (plus possibly Kilmarnock) are at this moment ahead of us in many ways......not least in entertainment value. 

I know it's a cup semi-final, but in many ways it's hard to blame Aberdeen fans for shrugging their shoulders over this one and giving it a miss. 

Hmm.

Few things on this one:

- I presume you have figures to support the change (or lack thereof) in the footballing budget due to AberDNA this season?  We spent fees on Ferguson and Forrester that we know of.  Otherwise I don't know personally if we have or have not increased it.

- Not all AberDNA money was meant to go straight into the first team.  I signed up and said my preference was for it to go towards youth development.

- If you're unhappy with the quality of player signed then that is Mcinnes, not the club you should be angry with.  Both have disappointed but they came in with decent pedigree.  Your 'English lower leagues' thro away comments suggest a regular in the English Championship (Gleeson) and Irish International is beneath us.  He's not been good enough so far but hardly a shit pedigree.  And like I say, Mcinnes asks the board to sign players and they carry it out. 

- It wasn't a brilliant transfer window but it sounds like we missed out on several top targets.  Shit happens, it's not easy in football to sign top players in a competitive market.  If we're looking to sign players above our level then chances are we will be offering a lower salary than they could get in say the Championship which means we have to sell the club and the manager to them.  Half our support not bothering with a cup semi final doesn't really support that.

- Your point about Hearts, Hibs etc is a big one and one that I think is significant to a lot of fans.  They have started better than us, they invested in their squad over the summer well.  Boo fucking hoo.  The support need to grow a spine and stand up to that challenge.  It's brilliant having so many good teams in the top half of the table, we should be excited about being part of that.  Instead there's some people going "we might end up 4th or 5th so I'm not going anymore :(".

Football isn't a linear upward trajectory in terms of progress, it's impossible to constantly get better and better.  We've had a dip.  We're 8 games in and for all we've been awful (apparently) we're only 2 points behind Gerrard's galactico's and a win tomorrow could see us possibly 4 points (?) off the top of the table.  How awful.

Fucking shitbag of a support sometimes min honestly.

1 hour ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Quite right.

Hearts fans are turning out in their tens of thousands because they believe they will win their semi-final (or at worst believe they have a great chance of winning). In 2013/14 when they were in the depths of despair fewer than 13,000 turned up for a semi-final in Edinburgh and no-one could blame them at the time. This time everything is different.

Aberdeen fans are not turning out in their tens of thousands because they believe they will lose their semi final. They base this on the last few years of abject surrender in the face of either Glasgow club & big games in general.

In 2014/15 the year after AFC won the League Cup a ba’hair short of 30,000 turned up at Hampden for semi-final vs. Dundee United, the vast majority of whom were Aberdeen fans (over 20,000), because they expected to win (that they lost such a big game is, of course, something that would be repeated ad infinitum over the next few years.)

Expectation. Aberdeen fans expect to lose this one and you can’t blame them.

Hmm.

Few things on this one:
- I presume you have figures to support the change (or lack thereof) in the footballing budget due to AberDNA this season?  We spent fees on Ferguson and Forrester that we know of.  Otherwise I don't know personally if we have or have not increased it.
- Not all AberDNA money was meant to go straight into the first team.  I signed up and said my preference was for it to go towards youth development.
- If you're unhappy with the quality of player signed then that is Mcinnes, not the club you should be angry with.  Both have disappointed but they came in with decent pedigree.  Your 'English lower leagues' thro away comments suggest a regular in the English Championship (Gleeson) and Irish International is beneath us.  He's not been good enough so far but hardly a shit pedigree.  And like I say, Mcinnes asks the board to sign players and they carry it out. 
- It wasn't a brilliant transfer window but it sounds like we missed out on several top targets.  Shit happens, it's not easy in football to sign top players in a competitive market.  If we're looking to sign players above our level then chances are we will be offering a lower salary than they could get in say the Championship which means we have to sell the club and the manager to them.  Half our support not bothering with a cup semi final doesn't really support that.
- Your point about Hearts, Hibs etc is a big one and one that I think is significant to a lot of fans.  They have started better than us, they invested in their squad over the summer well.  Boo fucking hoo.  The support need to grow a spine and stand up to that challenge.  It's brilliant having so many good teams in the top half of the table, we should be excited about being part of that.  Instead there's some people going "we might end up 4th or 5th so I'm not going anymore [emoji20]".
Football isn't a linear upward trajectory in terms of progress, it's impossible to constantly get better and better.  We've had a dip.  We're 8 games in and for all we've been awful (apparently) we're only 2 points behind Gerrard's galactico's and a win tomorrow could see us possibly 4 points (?) off the top of the table.  How awful.
Fucking shitbag of a support sometimes min honestly.
Tl;dr
Too many Aberdeen fans are fickle spoilt brats

On 19/10/2018 at 11:13, EdTheDuck said:

Quite right.

Hearts fans are turning out in their tens of thousands because they believe they will win their semi-final (or at worst believe they have a great chance of winning). In 2013/14 when they were in the depths of despair fewer than 13,000 turned up for a semi-final in Edinburgh and no-one could blame them at the time. This time everything is different.

Aberdeen fans are not turning out in their tens of thousands because they believe they will lose their semi final. They base this on the last few years of abject surrender in the face of either Glasgow club & big games in general.

In 2014/15 the year after AFC won the League Cup a ba’hair short of 30,000 turned up at Hampden for semi-final vs. Dundee United, the vast majority of whom were Aberdeen fans (over 20,000), because they expected to win (that they lost such a big game is, of course, something that would be repeated ad infinitum over the next few years.)

Expectation. Aberdeen fans expect to lose this one and you can’t blame them.

I agree with some of the points that dons88 made but i think this is closer to the truth. 

we expect to lose. 

most fans aren't loyal masochistic thick and thin types. at any club.