The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

16 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

Not really. The Donalds helped clear the debt in late 2014. I was referring to the January 2016 window when we were right at the top of the league. The debt was clear and we had posted good financial results.

How much do you think we should have spent in the transfer window of 2016 considering we was 3 points behind Celtic with playing 1 game more?

How much do you think we should have spent in the transfer window of 2016 considering we was 3 points behind Celtic with playing 1 game more?

Replacing Danny Ward with someone better than Adam Collin would’ve been a start. We lost a top class keeper and had several long term injuries, including Rooney who had scored nearly 20 goals by January. The squad was stretched. I’m not saying we should have spend £1million on someone but 2 or 3 good signings could’ve given us a better chance and avoided the end of season collapse.

18 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

Replacing Danny Ward with someone better than Adam Collin would’ve been a start. We lost a top class keeper and had several long term injuries, including Rooney who had scored nearly 20 goals by January. The squad was stretched. I’m not saying we should have spend £1million on someone but 2 or 3 good signings could’ve given us a better chance and avoided the end of season collapse.

1) if purse strings had been loosened, we would have just ended up with Greg Tansey 18 months earlier than we did, doubt that would've won us the league

2) Rooney got injured on 3 February during the Celtic game, Church had been signed on loan to support him.  Don't think we could've foreseen that we would have then lost Rooney immediately.  With hindsight we shouldn't have allowed Goodwillie out on loan, as that was just us wheeling and dealing to fund Tansey etc.  That was Mcinnes' decision though.

3) Danny Ward was an absolute body blow that was out of our control.  I'm not sure how easy you think it is to find a first team ready goalkeeper in the January window.  I'm certain that if we could identify someone on loan that was good enough and available we would have done it.  Losing Ward I think was the biggest contributor to derailing that season to be honest.  Hearts, Motherwell away are two games that Scott Brown cost us at least 1 goal in each.

Celtic only lost 4 games that season. Two of them were to us. They finished with 86 points. Only the 84/85 team would've reached that number of points had it been 3 for a win back then. It's a bit far fetched to say that we should've won the league. We maybe should've run them a bit closer but it's a bit much to say we'd have won it.

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

1) if purse strings had been loosened, we would have just ended up with Greg Tansey 18 months earlier than we did, doubt that would've won us the league

2) Rooney got injured on 3 February during the Celtic game, Church had been signed on loan to support him.  Don't think we could've foreseen that we would have then lost Rooney immediately.  With hindsight we shouldn't have allowed Goodwillie out on loan, as that was just us wheeling and dealing to fund Tansey etc.  That was Mcinnes' decision though.

3) Danny Ward was an absolute body blow that was out of our control.  I'm not sure how easy you think it is to find a first team ready goalkeeper in the January window.  I'm certain that if we could identify someone on loan that was good enough and available we would have done it.  Losing Ward I think was the biggest contributor to derailing that season to be honest.  Hearts, Motherwell away are two games that Scott Brown cost us at least 1 goal in each.

1) It would've stopped him scoring against us if anything. Admittedly, Tansey probably wouldn't have won us the league on his own. Even then, it took us until the last few days of the window to try and secure him, leaving us no time find a replacement. The fact is, we had our best chance of challenging for the league in a generation and we weakened ourselves in January. 

2) Got my timeline mixed up, I remember him missing games around about that time. However, Jack, Pawlett, Flood etc were all injured and we had little cover.

3) Ward leaving was a disaster and a difficult situation but we should have aimed higher than the Rotherham backup keeper IMO.

1 hour ago, 10menwent2mow said:

Celtic only lost 4 games that season. Two of them were to us. They finished with 86 points. Only the 84/85 team would've reached that number of points had it been 3 for a win back then. It's a bit far fetched to say that we should've won the league. We maybe should've run them a bit closer but it's a bit much to say we'd have won it.

I agree to an extent but after 30 games we had 20 wins, 5 draws and 5 defeats. If we kept that points per game going we would have reached 82 but we lost 6 of our last 8 games. 3 more players in January could've been the difference between maintaining our form and capitulation. 18 points dropped there and we lost the league by 15 points. 

12 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

1) It would've stopped him scoring against us if anything. Admittedly, Tansey probably wouldn't have won us the league on his own. Even then, it took us until the last few days of the window to try and secure him, leaving us no time find a replacement. The fact is, we had our best chance of challenging for the league in a generation and we weakened ourselves in January. 

2) Got my timeline mixed up, I remember him missing games around about that time. However, Jack, Pawlett, Flood etc were all injured and we had little cover.

3) Ward leaving was a disaster and a difficult situation but we should have aimed higher than the Rotherham backup keeper IMO.

1) This was probably failing of the club as a whole.  From memory we went through the process of letting the likes of Goodwillie go etc to fund moves for Tansey & Church, clearly we made a total arse of that but that's why it was right at the end of the window, as we had to let others go first.  This is probably the loosening the purse strings point that is most valid.

2) I don't remember our injury situation being that bad but could be wrong

3) We definitely will have aimed higher than Adam Collin, there just isn't very many ready made 1st team goalkeepers going about in January.  Liverpool fucked us over there, we were in a near impossible situation.  There's no way we would have just said yep Adam Collin will do.  Mcinnes will have known it wasn't a good outcome.  The fact Ward went back to Liverpool and didn't even play makes it even more infuriating.

2 hours ago, NorthernLights said:

Looked decent in his first season after that was really dreadful. If only we took the money from Celtic at the time!

Hopefully it isn't the same for McKenna although McKenna has all the attributes that Zander Diamond doesn't have with pace and body strength.

2 hours ago, betting competition said:

Looked decent in his first season after that was really dreadful. If only we took the money from Celtic at the time!

Hopefully it isn't the same for McKenna although McKenna has all the attributes that Zander Diamond doesn't have with pace and body strength.

McKenna actually looks genuinely good though. The celtic cake c**t only ever looked promising. 

Still though, retiring at 33 is a fucker for him so i have some sympathy. Then i remember his fucking face in the celtic cake photo and his trips to celtic park and michaelpatonchrismcguiremarkmcghee 9 fukkinnnil! aarggh! Then i feel less.

Our “support” is weird, pathetic, embarrassing and letting the Club down.

Discuss.

All of those things and none of those things. Aberdeen have a core support of 12,000-15,000 who will try to get to games when they can and they will be at Hampden next Sunday. There is also a dormant fan base who will go to finals and big games, probably watch the Dons on television fairly regularly but probably only make a game or two a season if that, and this group are pretty large but it is unfortunately difficult to convince them to go to many games. They were there at Parkred, they were at Pittodrie for Bayern Munich, maybe they've managed a couple of other games across the years but for the best will in the world they won't be going to Glasgow at 4:30 on a Sunday for a semi final in the less important cup against a team like Rangers.

It's nice to see the rallying cries from the club but realistically we probably all knew what ticket sales were going to be like for this one and it would be a pleasant surprise to see more than 15,000 Aberdeen fans attending.

We’ve always had a sizeable dormant fan base, this is nothing new 

It’s a pretty poor return for a semi so far but in context:

- If they’d announced a 4.30pm KO from the start, that would’ve helped 

- Novelty factor. We pretty much get to at least one semi every season, it’s not the “must attend” it was maybe ten years ago 

- The utter contempt we are clearly held in by the governing bodies (shouldn’t be an issue in terms of attending games but it sadly is for some)

- Our record in recent big games, especially at Hampden. Hardly inspires confidence 

- Recent record against Sevco. Laughable considering how much of a joke outfit they are 

- Very indifferent start to the season 

We’ll likely end up taking around 15,000, potentially a bit more if we get a win on Saturday 

But look at the recent semi attendances in this competition, none have been that great over the last few years 

Fair play to the club for fighting our corner, as they should, but because of some or all of the above, they were always facing an uphill battle 

I'd say the reported sales are pretty much in line with what I'd expect them to be at this stage, all things considered. I'm more embarrassed by a minority of Aberdeen fans essentially copying Rangers' fans attacks on our own club and/or support. 

21 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

- Recent record against Sevco. Laughable considering how much of a joke outfit they are 

To be fair that's a decent point. You'd have sold a lot more tickets a lot quicker if this was still a Pedro Caixinha team. 

The truth is that Dons fans are absolutely bricking it and are too scared to go.

6 minutes ago, Forest of Dean said:

To be fair that's a decent point. You'd have sold a lot more tickets a lot quicker if this was still a Pedro Caixinha team. 

The truth is that Dons fans are absolutely bricking it and are too scared to go.

I wouldn’t go that far 

But aye, if we’d ended up in a semi against you circa 2013/14 we’d probably of sold out Hampden by ourselves 

Our contribution to the banter years has sadly been fairly minimal 

47 minutes ago, Forest of Dean said:

I realise that being a Rangers fan involves some sort of fetish for this fantasy that all other clubs tremble at the thought of you.

But the pathetic element of our support that you refer to are more a case of 'can't be fucked with a 7 hour round trip to see us just roll over' as opposed to 'absolutely bricking it'.

Personally, I'm right up for it and think we'll get through.