The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Joe Shaughnessy has signed a 2 year deal at St Johnstone this afternoon. Fairly decent signing for both Shaughnessy and the Saints. Wish him all the best in Perth.

I've never rated Shaughnessy to be honest. Not sure if he is Premier League class, didn't really do that great at Falkirk by all accounts when he should be standing out.

I've never rated Shaughnessy to be honest. Not sure if he is Premier League class, didn't really do that great at Falkirk by all accounts when he should be standing out.

Fair enough. Personally think he's good enough but needs to bulk a bit and play more games at centre half with an experienced head beside him. Steven Anderson fits that role perfectly there. Good luck to Shug.

Incidentally Leighton hasn't really been up to much as a keeper coach it seems. A string of poor recommendations for signing and released Scott Bain who has gone on to be called up for Scotland. Dare I say it, although he went about it in totally the wrong way, one of the few things McGhee identified correctly as an issue?

Still, I remember his last couple of seasons playing, my first footballing hero and pulled off the best save I have seen at Pittodrie at home to ICT in the Scottish Cup Replay. All the best to Jim, a legend.

Leighton's standing as a club legend has prolonged his role as a coach IMO. We've seen no improvement or change in any of the keepers we've had over the years he's been in.

I'd assume we'll hear soon who the next coach will be. I'd be shocked if Langers was named a coach, I've seen nothing to indicate he knows how to coach, given some of his goalkeeping techniques, such as his kicking style (never seen so much backspin on a ball) and aerial work (weak as he puts no forward momentum into his jumps so is easily barged).

Good news re the extension but you may find that it nothing more than a move to ensure a better fee this summer. Reckon it would certainly help his career to stay on for another year.

I think it means he'll b sold next summer.

Good news re the extension but you may find that it nothing more than a move to ensure a better fee this summer. Reckon it would certainly help his career to stay on for another year.

Yeah I thought that, there will be a release fee in the contract no doubt of that. If someone does come in for him and he's not gonna be instantly challenging for a first team berth I can see him being loaned back for a season

Going to be a short summer for the team.

Where needs strengthened?

The signing of Shinnie should be a really good one. It will be interesting to see if he plays left back or central midfield.

A first choice keeper is required as neither Brown or Langfield are commanding enough.

Someone who can cover right back and centre back would be good seeing as Shaughnessy is moving on, Daniels is heading back down south and Anderson is retiring.

I'd like to see another winger join to provide cover for McGinn and Hayes.

A striker who can play with or provide competition for Rooney would be good.

Hopefully some of development squad can push on. Smith and Shankland are most likely but are competing with likes of Pawlett, McLean and Rooney for a game.

The team need to be more clinical with other players apart from Rooney getting in to double figures.

Going to be a short summer for the team.

Where needs strengthened?

The signing of Shinnie should be a really good one. It will be interesting to see if he plays left back or central midfield.

A first choice keeper is required as neither Brown or Langfield are commanding enough.

Someone who can cover right back and centre back would be good seeing as Shaughnessy is moving on, Daniels is heading back down south and Anderson is retiring.

I'd like to see another winger join to provide cover for McGinn and Hayes.

A striker who can play with or provide competition for Rooney would be good.

Hopefully some of development squad can push on. Smith and Shankland are most likely but are competing with likes of Pawlett, McLean and Rooney for a game.

The team need to be more clinical with other players apart from Rooney getting in to double figures.

I agree with most of this, however I think I will cry if we finally sign a left back and play him somewhere else.

Paul Quinn formerly of Ross County being linked with us. Right back or right sided centre half I think? Would be a replacement for Anderson I guess and a backup for Logan.

County have done everything we could to get our stand in captain Paul to sign a new contract but to no avail. He's more a central defender than a right back but he could easily provide cover but pace may be an issue for him to play rb on a regular basis. He's experienced, vocal and a leader on the park, he organised and sorted out our team as a defensive unit.

Whether you are seriously looking at him as an option or not I'm not sure, it could well just be agent talk to get DU or some other team to cough up a few extra £.

He will do well where ever he goes and I for one wish him well, I just wish we could have convinced him to stay!

Aberdeen fans might not rate him due to the OG he scored in Dingwall (when the Dons fans were singing "there's only one Rocco Quinn!"). He went through an unfortunate run in the winter where every deflection and mishit that came off him would go in.

He was in the team that got horsed 0-4 at Pitoddrie, but he wasn't at fault for any of those goals. The defence fell apart around him.

He's a pretty good defender. He'd be a first choice for any of the bottom six. He'll be a good enough back-up and probably the ideal replacement for Anderson in the circumstances.

Edited by bunglebonce