Dundee United 2014/15 Season

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From an outsiders point of view... I'd be gutted they'd both gone to one of the old firm clubs. Surely utd could have stirred up interest amongst clubs down south and got the equivalent fee for Armstrong in the summer. Utd have been the best club in scotland (possibly along with hamilton) at milking big clubs form down south (and abroad). No other teams up here have been anywhere near as effective at getting decent deals for their young talent.

I honestly don't think the fee for Armstrong is that poor in the current climate. We only got £800k for Stevie May, who was twice the player Armstrong is, though he did have 6 months less left on his contract than SA. The plus for us is we don't have to see May against us I suppose.

A massive plus for utd though is they seem to have this incredible conveyor belt of talent just now, and a manager who is prepared to throw them in the first team right away, which means even more talented young Scots will be keen to join the club (Telfer, Muirhead) and so the cycle continues.

Top 4 pretty much guaranteed, one cup final with the outside possibility of another... Could be a lot worse.

Lol. Stevie May is not twice the player.

Can't believe people are defending Celtic on the grounds that it keeps the money circulating in Scottish football. If Armstrong and GMS were in the championship they'd have to pay 5 million minimum.

THANK YE FOR THESE PEANUTS OH GLORIOUS CELTIC, WE PEASANTS ARE FOREVER IN YOUR DEBT.

Give me a break, I don't blame the players for moving, stupid not to, but if Celtic gave a shit about the health of the game they would let them stay till the end of the season and give us a great final. Yeah I realise that its insulting to give your opponent that much respect, but poaching players is dishonourable and turns the game into a farce. Why even compete if Celtic can just buy the cup.

/rant over

/tinfoil hat

Do you have same attitude when your team dishonourably poaches players at other clubs?

United have been ripped off, but if Armstrong and Mackay-Steven wanted to go then Celtic were always in the driving seat to exploit- they could practically name their price. I hope the two get played- but I'm afraid they're likely to be spending the prime years of their careers bench-warming.

I think on the grand scheme of things this is pretty shite from United.

They have a cup final against Celtic coming up and are still challenging at the top. So what do they do? Sell their 2 best of their best players. To Celtic.

This is one of the many reasons why Celtic dominate this league, because they keep taking the best players from the other teams, probably knowing they'll get them on the cheap. If it was a club in mid table with no chance of glory then fine, sell away. Not in this position though. Imagine United had said "these players are staying because we want to try and win the league/trophies." What a statement of intent that would have been.

Only Aberdeen could copy this tactic but on a smaller scale. Signing that boy from St Mirren and securing long term contracts on their players. That's more like how it should be done.

They have a cup final against Celtic coming up and are still challenging at the top. So what do they do? Sell their 2 best of their best players. To Celtic.

This is one of the many reasons why Celtic dominate this league, because they keep taking the best players from the other teams, probably knowing they'll get them on the cheap. If it was a club in mid table with no chance of glory then fine, sell away. Not in this position though. Imagine United had said "these players are staying because we want to try and win the league/trophies." What a statement of intent that would have been.

Only Aberdeen could copy this tactic but on a smaller scale. Signing that boy from St Mirren and securing long term contracts on their players. That's more like how it should be done.

Aye, very good. United have been very clear about the message that this sends out which is that if you come to United you'll be given a chance and we won't stand in your way when time comes to move on. As a result we've got the best group of young players in the country and have brought in more than £8M in the last year with much more to come if Robertson, Gauld or Armstrong move on in future for big fees. Easy for folk to say you should show ambition by keeping these guys but the fact is that these moves are proof that the strategy at United is working brilliantly. At their current stages of development, Spittal, Connolly and Telfer all look to be as good if not better than Armstrong and GMS were at that stage. Muirhead may well be in the category. The plan is to develop these guys and sell them on then bring in the next ones. In the meantime we've cleared our debt and are able to bring in international players to bolster the squad.

Would be great to have kept Gauld, Robertson, Armstrong and GMS but where would that have left us when their contracts run down and they leave for free?

Listen, that's all very well. It sounds a great set up and yes, you are now debt free which is excellent.

But now what? Do United keep doing this forever or do they one day decide that they go for it and try to win this league? It is extremely unlikely that you'll ever achieve that under this current scheme. But by all means, prove me wrong, I won't be complaining one little bit.

The players wanted to leave. I'd agree with what you'd said if they didn't but unfortunately that's not the case. If they wanted away we're better off without them and with money in the bank.

Ciftci is our best player, fwiw.

Aberdeen's best players all have no re sale value barring Ryan jack, so its much easier for them to sign longer contracts.

Indeed. Would be nice to think that the club are going to use some of the money to sit down with Nadir and convince him that another couple of years at United would do him no harm at all.

As for Aberdeen, McLean's probably got some resale value if they can develop him and sell him on quickly enough. Not easy to do when you're bringing in players in their 20s though. We'll almost certainly get more for Muirhead than they will for McLean. The flipside of that is that they've got a squad of more mature players who will be more consistent over the season.

Ach well, at least Ciftci will get to play against them in the final.

Oh.

Whats going on with you the last couple of days? Your material is usually half decent but the recent dipping into our threads has been less than fruitful. Im hoping this is just a temporary blip in form. Get it together

Would be great to have kept Gauld, Robertson, Armstrong and GMS but where would that have left us when their contracts run down and they leave for free?

Having Gauld, Ciftci, Armstrong, Robertson and GMS in the same team was awesome for the few months they clicked together, and its that calibre of player that we don't get together very often that needs to be kept together (for 2/3 years) in order to ever have a dream of winning the league again.

Unfortunately, we needed to sell. Such is life as a fan of United.

Listen, that's all very well. It sounds a great set up and yes, you are now debt free which is excellent.

But now what? Do United keep doing this forever or do they one day decide that they go for it and try to win this league? It is extremely unlikely that you'll ever achieve that under this current scheme. But by all means, prove me wrong, I won't be complaining one little bit.

Yeah, we keep doing it forever if we can. We've got stronger and wealthier and better every year for the past few years. It may not ever bring us another league title but it'll give us more chance of doing that than holding on to guys beyond their best price and frittering it all away. When we sold Goodwillie there was a substantial constituency who said we'd struggle for goals but Russell was even better then the same was said when he left. Then last summer we were written off when Gauld and Robertson were sold for an absolute fortune (and more to come from both deals I expect) but we're better in every way this year than last. We entered this transfer window with a defence which was conceding two goals every game and have signed two quality international full backs to bolster the defence. On the other side we've sold two guys with 6 and 18 months on their contracts but brought in an excellent 18 year old on a 3.5 year deal. We're stronger where we were weak but weaker in an area where we have 4 or 5 guys chomping at the bit to get into the team.

I won't deny for a second that we'll miss Armstrong and GMS but, equally, I've no doubt that at least one or two(probably more) of Telfer, Connolly, Spittal and Muirhead, will be just as good if not better than what we've lost. They'll then be sold. Rinse and repeat.

Archived