Big welcome to the Hibs, Hearts & Rangers to the Championship

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shut up. People are trying to be positive about the coming season and you're on here spouting this rubbish.

As long as there aren't people like you throwing around petty insults for no reason this should be a good forum.

rbctht.jpg

Rangers will certainly not stroll this league with the squad of players they have and i am sorry to say with the manager they have. They will be there or thereabouts though.

Should be a decent league with quite a few stadiums sold out on a regular basis which is never a bad thing for Scottish Football.

Hopefully the TV companies show more than just the Rangers games as it is a great opportunity to show there is more to Scottish football than Rangers and Celtic.

I've got a bet on with a rangers fan, that they won't win it.... I tried to sneak in if McCoist is in charge but they weren't having that...

you/we might be surprised with coisty next season, management can be a funny game in that he may show he has cut his teeth in lower leagues and now has what it takes.... I very much doubt it but wouldn't be surprised.

Hibs and Hearts circus will be unknown quantities, both may have new managers and many of the current hibs squad will be lucky or unlucky to still be there... Funny to think Liam Craig swapped I suppose hero status at st johnstone to play for his heroes at so called bigger club... One wins the cup an one gets relegated..

I'm taking a lazy guess that the crowds overall will often this season be greater in the championship than the spl, even tho we have a league of 10....

I like many can see changes ahead for the championship, who knows what, more reconstruction? This would only prove we have folk running our game are clueless. I personally would only change the play offs to match what the rest of the leagues do and have 2nd bottom spl in at the start....

Overall its gonna be great in what I regard as my fav league anyway, I just hope if there are changes, they are for the good, we have been treated like 2nd class citizens over the past, now we have more power....which is funny...

, Rangers might struggle because Falkirk, Queens and Dumbarton are a different kettle of fish from Stranraer, Ayr and Forfar

That'll be Stranraer who drew with them at Ibrox and Forfar that knocked them out of the league Cup?

Shut up. People are trying to be positive about the coming season and you're on here spouting this rubbish.

As long as there aren't people like you throwing around petty insults for no reason this should be a good forum.

says the 11 post veteran! :rolleyes:

I've got a bet on with a rangers fan, that they won't win it.... I tried to sneak in if McCoist is in charge but they weren't having that...

you/we might be surprised with coisty next season, management can be a funny game in that he may show he has cut his teeth in lower leagues and now has what it takes.... I very much doubt it but wouldn't be surprised.

Hibs and Hearts circus will be unknown quantities, both may have new managers and many of the current hibs squad will be lucky or unlucky to still be there... Funny to think Liam Craig swapped I suppose hero status at st johnstone to play for his heroes at so called bigger club... One wins the cup an one gets relegated..

I'm taking a lazy guess that the crowds overall will often this season be greater in the championship than the spl, even tho we have a league of 10....

I like many can see changes ahead for the championship, who knows what, more reconstruction? This would only prove we have folk running our game are clueless. I personally would only change the play offs to match what the rest of the leagues do and have 2nd bottom spl in at the start....

Overall its gonna be great in what I regard as my fav league anyway, I just hope if there are changes, they are for the good, we have been treated like 2nd class citizens over the past, now we have more power....which is funny...

I'd like to see us going to 3no leagues of 14 with a 7-7 split and play offs eventually but definitely NOT pushed through as a result of Hearts & Hibs being relegated and potentially Rangers being stuck in the Championship for additional season(s).

Not the first time I've seen that claimed but I just can't see it, even factoring back for the lesser number of games this division has.

Celtic Park has a bigger capacity than Ibrox and whilst neither club is especially likely to actually publish real bums on seats attendances there's no real reason to expect Rangers to significantly out-attend Celtic in matches.

Hibs and Hearts are big teams but Aberdeen's support would probably beat either of them, whilst a combination of Dundee United, Dundee, Motherwell, etc would outweigh the other.

Thereafter where are we getting the bigger crowds? Falkirk have a decent support but not enough to outweigh Kilmarnock and St Mirren. QoS, Livingston and Raith have average supports well under 2,000 usually and the part time clubs are all much smaller than anyone in the Premiership.

Apart from anything else, even if you accept the premise that there will be massive travelling supports from Rangers, Hearts and Hibs (which is by no means certain), the sheer size constraints of most of the grounds down here means they won't beat the Premiership attendances. Doesn't matter how many tens of thousands might want to see Dumbarton v Rangers, the stadium can only hold a couple of thousand (or whatever capacity is).

I expect next season will see the narrowest gap between the top two division ever in terms of average attendance but I would still expect the Premiership to be comfortably ahead.

As a crude measure... taking the 12 clubs who'll form next season's Premiership, and the 10 who'll form next season's Championship:

Premiership average would = 8,655

Championship average would = 7,790

Admittedly the prescence of Rangers, Hearts and Hibs will boost away attendances at other Championship clubs.

Hearts+Hibs travelling supports abscence from the Premiership will also slightly reduce attendances there.

However, Dundee+Hamilton's home crowds will rise, and Dundee will boost away attendances at least at Dundee United, St Johnstone and Aberdeen.

And I'd expect crowds to fall at Hearts and Hibs, that's normal in a lower level plus smaller visiting supports. And if the stories of Rangers ST sales are to be believed, perhaps fall heavily at Ibrox.

As a crude measure... taking the 12 clubs who'll form next season's Premiership, and the 10 who'll form next season's Championship:

Premiership average would be... 8,655

Championship average would be... 7,790

Admittedly the prescence of Rangers, Hearts and Hibs will boost away attendances at other Championship clubs.

Hearts + Hibs travelling supports absence from the Premiership will also slightly reduce attendances there.

Some interesting statistics. When its all said and done, both will be closer to 8,000 with the Premiership probably slightly edging it.

One things for sure though, more fans will tune in for televised matches for the Championship than the Premiership. And the Championship clubs may dig their heels in, which I would not be surprised about, to get a better pay-cheque.

Makes sense.

Premiership average would = 8,655

Championship average would = 7,790

Hearts+Hibs travelling supports abscence from the Premiership will also slightly reduce attendances there.

However, Dundee+Hamilton's home crowds will rise, and Dundee will boost away attendances at least at Dundee United, St Johnstone and Aberdeen.

And I'd expect crowds to fall at Hearts and Hibs, that's normal in a lower level plus smaller visiting supports. And if the stories of Rangers ST sales are to be believed, perhaps fall heavily at Ibrox.

Hearts attendances will be up next season in my opinion. I Can see us hitting 11000 - 12000 for season tickets.

Some interesting statistics. When its all said and done, both will be closer to 8,000 with the Premiership probably slightly edging it.

One things for sure though, more fans will tune in for televised matches for the Championship than the Premiership. And the Championship clubs may dig their heels in, which I would not be surprised about, to get a better pay-cheque.

Makes sense.

What will they "dig their heels in" about?

Anyway, the SFL3 clubs got sh*t all over last season, sharing only 12% of the SFL's already paltry £1M TV income, IIRC, despite every televised game coming from SFL3. Championship clubs shared 55% for doing absolutely nothing?

Championship's turn to "sook it", perhaps.

Hearts attendances will be up next season in my opinion. I Can see us hitting 11000 - 12000 for season tickets.

Impressive if so.

Overall visiting supports will surely fall, though.

You averaged 14,123 this season.

Not the first time I've seen that claimed but I just can't see it, even factoring back for the lesser number of games this division has.

Celtic Park has a bigger capacity than Ibrox and whilst neither club is especially likely to actually publish real bums on seats attendances there's no real reason to expect Rangers to significantly out-attend Celtic in matches.

Hibs and Hearts are big teams but Aberdeen's support would probably beat either of them, whilst a combination of Dundee United, Dundee, Motherwell, etc would outweigh the other.

Thereafter where are we getting the bigger crowds? Falkirk have a decent support but not enough to outweigh Kilmarnock and St Mirren. QoS, Livingston and Raith have average supports well under 2,000 usually and the part time clubs are all much smaller than anyone in the Premiership.

Apart from anything else, even if you accept the premise that there will be massive travelling supports from Rangers, Hearts and Hibs (which is by no means certain), the sheer size constraints of most of the grounds down here means they won't beat the Premiership attendances. Doesn't matter how many tens of thousands might want to see Dumbarton v Rangers, the stadium can only hold a couple of thousand (or whatever capacity is).

I expect next season will see the narrowest gap between the top two division ever in terms of average attendance but I would still expect the Premiership to be comfortably ahead.

My lazy guess was based on Celtic being away and Rangers being at home...which will be case obviously most weeks... the crowd slump will happen at celic, did U see the crowds at st mitten, killie, st johnstone...im sure we had the two highest Saturday crowd one week in the championship when there was 2 or 3 spl games....

There was also a midweek top 6 midweek game at st johnstone which either scrapped slightly above or below 2000....

The product up there is pish poor, I didn't most weeks know scores or league placings....snorefest top half, bottom half became interesting somehow even tho one team was really relegated with a points reduction before a ball was kicked..

Dunno averages last season of either hibs or hearts... But I expect them to be healthy... The clubs im sure will offer attractive cheaper season ticket prices, winning more games = bigger crowds and there is the fresh new location factor that can entice some back or back more often

did U see the crowds at st mitten, killie, st johnstone...im sure we had the two highest Saturday crowd one week in the championship when there was 2 or 3 spl games....

There was also a midweek top 6 midweek game at st johnstone which either scrapped slightly above or below 2000....

The product up there is pish poor

Here's the averages:

St Mirren... 4,511

Kilmarnock... 4,250

St Johnstone... 3,806

Falkirk... 3,114

Hibs' season tickets have already been on sale and with 4 cat A games I can;t see them changing it.

League is going to be competitive next year. I hope we don't end up down too long.

The slight problem is that we have less home games now. We have sold season tickets for 19 home games at the moment that price is £405. That works out at £22.50 a game in the championship.

Good luck Leeann Dempster sorted that out.

Archived