Linlithgow Rose 2014-15

Merrylees

Valid points. Bringing in players is the responsibility of the manager and this has been an issue. Look at what Tam Courts has done at Kelty, identified a great coach in Stevue Kay who knows Fife inside out, and recruited good players. A recipe for success. If Danny Smith can't do this for the season ahead he won't be there for long. So far his signings have been weak, this current team include players he brought in who were never going to improve the team.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Valid points. Bringing in players is the responsibility of the manager and this has been an issue. Look at what Tam Courts has done at Kelty, identified a great coach in Stevue Kay who knows Fife inside out, and recruited good players. A recipe for success. If Danny Smith can't do this for the season ahead he won't be there for long. So far his signings have been weak, this current team include players he brought in who were never going to improve the team.

The jury is out on some off his players - a move to Linlithgow can often take time for players to settle. I feel that some still have good futures and others maybe not.

Kelbie for me is one who I would like to see with a good pre season under his belt. He missed pre season then got injured and has largely struggled since. But I still feel fully fit he has loads to offer and something different to what we have.

Batchelor isn't suddenly a bad player but with 4 similar already there that has hindered him.

Wilson has been the find of the season - superb player.

Kelly a decent squad player and no means a failure.

O'Byrne part of a defence that has been dodgy and probably one who will be replaced.

Thom - not a right back looks a better central defender

McGowan was never other than cover

Sinnett signed as many bad signings as good - but the good ones were immense.

For me Danny is 6/10 this season but for me has learned loads all which will stand him in good stead for next season. A young manager learning his trade - he will only get better from the experience of this season.

Had Strickland up front himself tonight so had to play the ball on the ground, with the result we played Nitten off the park.

We then brought Kelbie on and it was back to balls in the air & nothing sticking up front, hence very few chances in the second half.

It has not been a good season and whilst the defence has been poor there has been little protection given to it. The big difference for me this year has been the work rate of our players and also other teams know how to beat us. In virtually every big game this year we have lost many more 1-1 battles than we have won. We have allowed ourselves to be bullied by the opposition and that is not good. For various reasons we are a very stale team. One factor in that is the current crop of players have been together for 3 seasons with very little rest time between seasons. We had I guess 4 weeks off last year, then that hardly allows you a good pre-season. Success in the juniors bring these problems but we have definiteley suffered from it.

Going forward I think Danny has the next season to show he can change the team and win the league and challenge for the Scottish. That is what any Rose manager will be judged on. This year we stuttered through a Scottish Cup run in which given the choice you could not have picked better draws and fell as soon as we played someone decent. We have not been remotely competitive in the league from the start

The players he has brought in this year have not performed well enough. I had high hopes for Kelbie and Batchelor but they are shadows of the players from last year. O'Byrne and Thom are simply not good enough. I would keep the former 2 and look to get in a strong defence and just as importantly a balanced midfield which has a shape and a mix of players.

It has not been a good season and whilst the defence has been poor there has been little protection given to it. The big difference for me this year has been the work rate of our players and also other teams know how to beat us. In virtually every big game this year we have lost many more 1-1 battles than we have won. We have allowed ourselves to be bullied by the opposition and that is not good. For various reasons we are a very stale team. One factor in that is the current crop of players have been together for 3 seasons with very little rest time between seasons. We had I guess 4 weeks off last year, then that hardly allows you a good pre-season. Success in the juniors bring these problems but we have definiteley suffered from it.

Going forward I think Danny has the next season to show he can change the team and win the league and challenge for the Scottish. That is what any Rose manager will be judged on. This year we stuttered through a Scottish Cup run in which given the choice you could not have picked better draws and fell as soon as we played someone decent. We have not been remotely competitive in the league from the start

The players he has brought in this year have not performed well enough. I had high hopes for Kelbie and Batchelor but they are shadows of the players from last year. O'Byrne and Thom are simply not good enough. I would keep the former 2 and look to get in a strong defence and just as importantly a balanced midfield which has a shape and a mix of players.

Think you are selective - It's not just the new players who have not always produced to their abilities. For me we add a few new players in the right positions and we will see a big improvements next season.

I agree things have not been great at times - but at the start of the season if you said we will still be in contention - League - Scottish and 2 local cups in April - we would all have been delighted. So even in agreeing that the balance isn't correct - You still have to admit Danny has still done well to have achieved that.

Like a lot of things sometimes you need to let people settle in to get the best results.

This thread has mellowed right out since the last time I was on, well done, giving your guy a chance. Magic????

Wee Shirra still the best player for you by a country mile. I'd even have him over in Gods country. ????

Maybe see you next year on cup business. Bring your A game this time. ????

Think you are selective - It's not just the new players who have not always produced to their abilities. For me we add a few new players in the right positions and we will see a big improvements next season.

I agree things have not been great at times - but at the start of the season if you said we will still be in contention - League - Scottish and 2 local cups in April - we would all have been delighted. So even in agreeing that the balance isn't correct - You still have to admit Danny has still done well to have achieved that.

Like a lot of things sometimes you need to let people settle in to get the best results.

Think your being a bit selective Auld Heid. Was Mondays game not a 3rd round game? With exception of getting a bye to the Semi Final of the Scottish you couldn't have asked for an easier run. Any other manager would have been hunted but for some reason Danny "punt it long" Smith seems to be blameless. Facts are you had the best goalkeeper, striker and possibly the best midfielder in the league last season and Danny has ruined them along with a few others.

Think your being a bit selective Auld Heid. Was Mondays game not a 3rd round game? With exception of getting a bye to the Semi Final of the Scottish you couldn't have asked for an easier run. Any other manager would have been hunted but for some reason Danny "punt it long" Smith seems to be blameless. Facts are you had the best goalkeeper, striker and possibly the best midfielder in the league last season and Danny has ruined them along with a few others.

Your point is?

I am perfectly correct - irrespective of what round or who we had drawn in any cups the facts remain correct we were in contention for everything in April.

As for ruining players that seems a post to suit a Beggar view - who has turned into a bad keeper/midfielder or striker? People have varying opinions on a players abilities and contribution - that's football for you.

Now jog on

I'm sure Fuzzybear along with some committee members and some supporters wouldn't agree with that.

Your point is?

I am perfectly correct - irrespective of what round or who we had drawn in any cups the facts remain correct we were in contention for everything in April.

As for ruining players that seems a post to suit a Beggar view - who has turned into a bad keeper/midfielder or striker? People have varying opinions on a players abilities and contribution - that's football for you.

Now jog on

Doesn't have to be a United supporter to have that view. Others have it as well.

Now jog on.

Utter c??k

Archived