Sportsound Watch

The two best seasons I've seen following Thistle were in the First Division; the second half of the back-to-back promotions under Lambie's team of big, physical cloggers, and then the more recent one where we romped it, playing great football and scudding teams for fun. Most of the time.

That said, the top flight is the place to be. Might not be as enjoyable on the whole due to losing far more frequently and often having to shitfest games rather than play nice football, but it's where the big games are and where the money is which allows you to compete for cups and European football (and yes, I know that currently we're doing neither, but the point in principle remains).

1 hour ago, Nightmare said:

The two best seasons I've seen following Thistle were in the First Division; the second half of the back-to-back promotions under Lambie's team of big, physical cloggers, and then the more recent one where we romped it, playing great football and scudding teams for fun. Most of the time.

That said, the top flight is the place to be. Might not be as enjoyable on the whole due to losing far more frequently and often having to shitfest games rather than play nice football, but it's where the big games are and where the money is which allows you to compete for cups and European football (and yes, I know that currently we're doing neither, but the point in principle remains).

Who exactly are the big teams that Thistle fans are coming out to see?

Having seen your recent home crowds v Celtic and Rangers it's certainly not your local derby matches.

First Division is funner, but its a pointless tin pot league that means nothing if you have an ounce of ambition. Top flight football means more money/better players/higher chance of cup success/european adventures. Only folk who say they don't want to be here support dreadful sides who have no chance of getting there, or fans of newly promoted sides who can't cope with it being shoved up them dry every week.

20 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

Who exactly are the big teams that Thistle fans are coming out to see?

Having seen your recent home crowds v Celtic and Rangers it's certainly not your local derby matches.

Our support is shite in general these days - we had 6,000+ for the Morton "decider" and the United game that was our first top flight game in years, but we've reverted back to probably about the same core support as we had for years in the second tier of between 2500-3000. But regardless of our home turnout against the OF, obviously they count as big games. Playing Hearts and Aberdeen are big games as well - they're a chance to beat a better opponent and bigger club, which is obviously something to aim for. In addition, as much as it's criticised, the split leads to many important games later in the season - all 3 of our seasons up so far we've had numerous pre- and post-split games which were of significance. This season will probably be the same yet again.

The second tier now has more chance of these important games than it did when we were last there, I guess. It was still just 1 up/1 down when we were last there. So yeah, maybe there are now similarly big games for mid-table clubs in the Championship, but there didn't used to be. Plus even now there are, I still wouldn't swap being in someone like Falkirk's situation of being an upper 2nd-tier side who win more regularly, for where we are.

4 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Our support is shite in general these days - we had 6,000+ for the Morton "decider" and the United game that was our first top flight game in years, but we've reverted back to probably about the same core support as we had for years in the second tier of between 2500-3000. But regardless of our home turnout against the OF, obviously they count as big games. Playing Hearts and Aberdeen are big games as well - they're a chance to beat a better opponent and bigger club, which is obviously something to aim for. In addition, as much as it's criticised, the split leads to many important games later in the season - all 3 of our seasons up so far we've had numerous pre- and post-split games which were of significance. This season will probably be the same yet again.

The second tier now has more chance of these important games than it did when we were last there, I guess. It was still just 1 up/1 down when we were last there. So yeah, maybe there are now similarly big games for mid-table clubs in the Championship, but there didn't used to be. Plus even now there are, I still wouldn't swap being in someone like Falkirk's situation of being an upper 2nd-tier side who win more regularly, for where we are.

I'm not saying I wouldn't swap with Thistle.

Just seems both leagues have their plus points.

I listened to the podcast with Billy Brown on it.  He seems irrationally confrontational always looking for an argument, when the other guests were being reasonable he still seemed to think there was an argument he had to take a side on. I want to be on Billy Brown's side because he was part of my happiest times watching Falkirk but every time he talks he just sounds very thick.  Who was 'Charlie' that was on who I'm assuming was an ex ref, he was painful to listen to.

26 minutes ago, Swordfishtrombone said:

I listened to the podcast with Billy Brown on it.  He seems irrationally confrontational always looking for an argument, when the other guests were being reasonable he still seemed to think there was an argument he had to take a side on. I want to be on Billy Brown's side because he was part of my happiest times watching Falkirk but every time he talks he just sounds very thick.  Who was 'Charlie' that was on who I'm assuming was an ex ref, he was painful to listen to.

Charlie Richmond.

No longer available on the beeb website it's from March...

Here's something for you instead

That'll do. Was just in the mood to hear a hearts c**t raging last night. Didn't care who he was. Funnily enough that video led onto one of Craig Levein utterly seething as Dundee Utd lost at Ibrox

3 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Richmond was absolutely embarrassing

Aye. There were numerous awkward silences after he'd finished speaking. The panel seemed genuinely stumped in how to respond to his idiocy. To be fair to him, it must be intimidating speaking on the same show as an intellectual heavyweight like Billy Brown.

Was surprised to see hear him slate John Beaton as much. That's about the only positive he brought to the show.

5 hours ago, Hibeesbounce75 said:

That'll do. Was just in the mood to hear a hearts c**t raging last night. Didn't care who he was. Funnily enough that video led onto one of Craig Levein utterly seething as Dundee Utd lost at Ibrox

Billy Brown is a hibby