Sportsound Watch

22 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

We dont set the route for qualification, UEFA do.

Having a nostalgia fest over a qualifying route is utterly baffling to me. Qualifying is about 1 thing. There are no fondly remember "qualifying campaigns".

Moaning about the Nations League is incredible. Utterly incredible. I dont give a f**k how great Miller was. On this subject, he is so far off the mark it makes him sound like an outright idiot.

5 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

Why? Why would you prefer to qualify one way and not the other? What difference does it make?

Seems I've caused a stir.

I didn't say it was important what route we qualified through.  I think it would be an amazing achievement to see us qualify through a group proper, and I hope we go all out to do so.  It would give us some confidence going into the tournament proper if we could finish at least 2nd in a qualifying group.  

The fantastic thing is we can now go for it with the 'safety net' of the Nations league route.

Seems I've caused a stir.
I didn't say it was important what route we qualified through.  I think it would be an amazing achievement to see us qualify through a group proper, and I hope we go all out to do so.  It would give us some confidence going into the tournament proper if we could finish at least 2nd in a qualifying group.  
The fantastic thing is we can now go for it with the 'safety net' of the Nations league route.
Its more Millers comment about having a preference for how we get there. That is lunacy of the highest order.

19 minutes ago, Briannmataxi said:

Can we get rid of this safety net pish. It's the easier route to the euros. We should be prioritising the nation's league. 

Given the main qualifying happens before nations league, why and how would you suggest prioritising it?

It’s not all ignorance, Willie Miller is just a contrary p***k. For as long as I can remember any time Scotland were on a bad run and most people were talking negatively about the team, Miller would always be overly positive. Similarly, when Scotland get a couple of decent results and people get a little hopeful, he is nothing but negative.

After the game last night all the pundits wanted to be positive, whilst recognising we haven’t qualified yet, we’ve put ourselves in the best position we could. Therefore Willie Miller started his nonsense about it only counts if we qualify the “proper” way.

I think I'm missing something here.

Did he say he'd 'prefer' to qualify via the traditional route or that he didn't want to do it through the nations league route?

If it's the former, I don't see the issue, the traditional route is the earliest opportunity we have to qualify and would be a bigger achievement, why wouldn't you rather do it that way?

If the nations league semi/final was happening say next month and he was saying 'nah f**k that I want to do it the proper way' then obviously that would be lunacy.

Edited by Dons_1988

While it may not be the point people are making surely everyone would *rather* we qualified via the traditional method as that will mean we will have won a decent amount of matches thus climbed the rankings. In reality no one really cares as long as we get there but if you were offered a choice - which seems should be the overall point.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Given the main qualifying happens before nations league, why and how would you suggest prioritising it?

Because we are 2 games away from the Euros through that. We are about to take part in a 8 or 10 game group to qualify. Why wouldn't you prioritise the one which we are further progressed in? Obviously if we qualify through the normal way great but it will be a lot harder compared to beating finland then Serbia or Norway. 

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

We dont set the route for qualification, UEFA do.

Having a nostalgia fest over a qualifying route is utterly baffling to me. Qualifying is about 1 thing. There are no fondly remember "qualifying campaigns".

Moaning about the Nations League is incredible. Utterly incredible. I dont give a f**k how great Miller was. On this subject, he is so far off the mark it makes him sound like an outright idiot.

That's debateable.  I can remember plenty great matches and moments from qualifying campaigns , going back to the 2-1 win against Czechoslavakia at Hampden to qualify for the 1974 World Cup.   

Let's face it,  we haven't got many fond memories from any of the Finals when we got there ,so we need to have something to be nostalgic about.

7 minutes ago, Briannmataxi said:

Because we are 2 games away from the Euros through that. We are about to take part in a 8 or 10 game group to qualify. Why wouldn't you prioritise the one which we are further progressed in? Obviously if we qualify through the normal way great but it will be a lot harder compared to beating finland then Serbia or Norway. 

yes but, normal qualifying happens and then we have the nations league, if we need it.

So why, and more importantly how, would you actually prioritise something that doesn't happen until after?

1 minute ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I wish I cared enough about something a man did 35 years ago to blindly love him the way Aberdeen fans love Willie Miller. 

If I am still around in 33 years, I will still blindly love David Gray

We'll only be in the play off if we fail to come 2nd in the group (and as we're in the 3rd pot on merit, it's doable provided the draw is kind). On grounds of stress, I would much prefer us get in that way on the back of a decent campaign, rather than having to rely on the last ditch 'typical Scotland' hopes of winning through the play off.