Sportsound Watch

It does seem amazing that when the medium is radio, it can somehow provide a berth for the cripplingly inarticulate.

As much as the contributors are clearly thickos, there’s clearly no standards being driven from the people who produce.

Barely literate ex footballers who can sort of communicate what’s happened in a game with lots of ‘banter’ and little knowledge will suffice.

My wife was in hysterics at sportscene results yesterday at how amateur it was (without any prompting from me), and in particular David currie.

I would have been raging had I been a Queens or Alloa fan yesterday. There was a point where Sandra was, really badly, describing a goal and Derek Ferguson butted in with some humming patter about empire biscuits. Then the patter vacuum Chick Young got involved. I’ve still not got a clue who scored.

45 minutes ago, St. Jude said:

I would have been raging had I been a Queens or Alloa fan yesterday. There was a point where Sandra was, really badly, describing a goal and Derek Ferguson butted in with some humming patter about empire biscuits. Then the patter vacuum Chick Young got involved. I’ve still not got a clue who scored.

I heard that as well. It was actually Jane Lewis and at one point she sounded like she was ready to give both of them a hefty kick in the baws. 

It also didn’t come across well - two “jobs for the boys” men shouting down one of the few female reporters with irrelevant nonsense. 

There was also a point yesterday when someone was describing a goal, only for Richard Gordon to interrupt them because Celtic had a chance.

It's funny to listen to it sometimes and think back to when I was a kid.

Like many of us, I imagine, I really wanted to either be a footballer or have a Sportsound-type job.

After getting binned by Dundee United in my teens for being shite, I actually started doing some football writing and working towards maybe going in that direction. I did voluntary stuff for the local paper, a bit of work experience at two radio stations. I was thinking about it.

The funny thing is that, like playing football, I was surrounded by other people who also really wanted to do it but seemed much more sure of themselves and had a lot more confidence in their work. I often disagreed with the angles they took on things, but just thought they must be right.

I backed off from it and moved on.

Now, you see the calibre of person who makes it to these jobs and you realise that all that's required is a bit of a brass neck and you'll go a long way. The Scottish media is tiny and the pool of people to do these jobs does not contain a lot of talent.

So, we get Sportsound. I mean, if David Currie, Chic Young and Kenny McIntyre can be employed by the BBC to work on football shows, then they'd be as well rounding folk up off the street.

2 hours ago, St. Jude said:

Sandra is the best person for working out who's scored, she doesn't hide her bias.

2 hours ago, St. Jude said:

This sort of shit happens every week and it is very noticeable.  It's embarrassing.

2 hours ago, The Master said:

I heard that as well. It was actually Jane Lewis and at one point she sounded like she was ready to give both of them a hefty kick in the baws. 

It also didn’t come across well - two “jobs for the boys” men shouting down one of the few female reporters with irrelevant nonsense. 

There was also a point yesterday when someone was describing a goal, only for Richard Gordon to interrupt them because Celtic had a chance.

Yes, it was Jane Lewis.

She was sitting right behind me at the game.  I obviously missed the exchange referred to, but did catch her talking some absolute rubbish about the match unfolding in front of her.  In that respect, she should fit right in with the 'jobs for the boys' boys.

At the risk of sounding like an old bore yearning for the good old days , the  standard of commentary on the games nowadays is very poor.  I only caught a wee bit of the Hearts- Rangers game today while I was driving , but the wee bit I heard was fairly typical . Whilst the game was going on Liam McLeod instead of describing the action waffled on telling us how much Hearts would  close the gap on Hamilton if they won and then how a Rangers win would affect their battle at the top with Celtic. And then he waffled on a bit more telling us where Rangers had dropped points away from home this season. All this while the play was going on.

Now even if the action wasn’t exactly exciting or involved any significant incident , I’d have thought that the commentator’s priority should be to describe the action . There are plenty breaks in the action to give the listener the sort of information that Liam McLeod decided was more important than the game itself.

Maybe I’m metaphorically looking through rose-tinted glasses , but my impression and recollection of the commentators from yesteryear (eg David Begg and David Francey) is that they concentrated on describing the action , so that at any given time you could know what was happening and on which area of the pitch the action was taking place.

It may also be the case that the modern commentators now have at least one , but very often two pundits accompanying them and therefore feel the need to get their comments rather than describing the action. Back in the 20th century , it was I think , only really big games like Cup Finals or  Scotland matches where there would maybe be a co-commentator or pundit. 

Edited by A96

At the risk of sounding like an old bore yearning for the good old days , the  standard of commentary on the games nowadays is very poor.  I only caught a wee bit of the Hearts- Rangers game today while I was driving , but the wee bit I heard was fairly typical . Whilst the game was going on Liam McLeod instead of describing the action waffled on telling us how much Hearts would  close the gap on Hamilton if they won and then how a Rangers win would affect their battle at the top with Celtic. And then he waffled on a bit more telling us where Rangers had dropped points away from home this season. All this while the play was going on.
Now even if the action wasn’t exactly exciting or involved any significant incident , I’d have thought that the commentator’s priority should be to describe the action . There are plenty breaks in the action to give the listener the sort of information that Liam McLeod decided was more important than the game itself.
Maybe I’m metaphorically looking through rose-tinted glasses , but my impression and recollection of the commentators from yesteryear (eg David Begg and David Francey) is that they concentrated on describing the action , so that at any given time you could know what was happening and on which area of the pitch the action was taking place.
It may also be the case that the modern commentators now have at least one , but very often two pundits accompanying them and therefore feel the need to get their comments rather than describing the action. Back in the 20th century , it was I think , only really big games like Cup Finals or  Scotland matches where there would maybe be a co-commentator or pundit. 
Yup, it's high time we got back to Square One....

Obviously I'm not listening, but I see on Twitter that Kenny MacIntyre is suggesting that ex-Barnsley manager Daniel Stendel didn't actually sign Barnsley player Toby Sibbick.

Could someone who did listen describe to me - in excruciating detail - just how sore this fucking cretin's arse is that we won yesterday? iZT8ghc.png

Guest Moomintroll
In the hour before kick-off today, I believe they only managed to give 4 teams' s starting lineups.
Given that only 1 of the arse cheeks are playing today they are doing well then.