Sportsound Watch

3 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

They never used to have shows every weekday in the time of Traynor and Your Call. Now they do and so they get to talk about Sevco and Celtic every day. Even Off The Ball talks about them far more than they used to, with Tam especially being quite the apologist and becoming a sycophant.

Also guess how many reporters they had at the Kilmarnock/Hibs last night.

The usual, one (Brian McLauchlin). He gave goal updates and manager interviews.

I'm not quite sure what coverage you would expect of a game played at the same time as a CL match involving a Scottish team.

2 minutes ago, JamesM82 said:

The usual, one (Brian McLauchlin). He gave goal updates and manager interviews.

I'm not quite sure what coverage you would expect of a game played at the same time as a CL match involving a Scottish team.

The thing being they regularly have two or three reporters at Celtic Park for open all mics at a league match when there is a full card on in Scotland and every other ground gets one, some none at all.

1 minute ago, Rugster said:

The thing being they regularly have two or three reporters at Celtic Park for open all mics at a league match when there is a full card on in Scotland and every other ground gets one, some none at all.

Right, but that's because their show is often based at Celtic Park when Celtic are at home.

If you're concerned by that I suppose you should be thankful for the Rangers / BBC tiff, as it means they have to base somewhere else when Celtic are away / Rangers are home.

Just now, JamesM82 said:

Right, but that's because their show is often based at Celtic Park when Celtic are at home.

If you're concerned by that I suppose you should be thankful for the Rangers / BBC tiff, as it means they have to base somewhere else when Celtic are away / Rangers are home.

Because the show is based there doesn't mean they have to have more reporters there. Richard Gordon is regularly based at Pittodrie, he's been at Murrayfield also, and there have still been more than one reporter at Celtic Park. To be fair it's usually because one of them is Pat Bonner, and he needs someone else to identify the non Celtic players for him.

When they're based somewhere other than Celtic Park it doesn't always mean they have more reporters there, and the "tiff" is a nonsense as despite "boycotting" Rangers they still have pundits sitting in a studio watching a feed describing the action to us. Even more laughable is when a Rangers match at Ibrox is live on TV and they provide commentary with the commentators in a studio watching the tv.

Like most that actually go to games, I only really hear the "before" and "after" parts of Sportsound - I never listen to commentary games or open all mic's. That being the case, it's perfectly possible that (as a diddy team supporter) I hear nothing about the game I'm at that day as it's not really mentioned beforehand and is only mentioned in passing when reading the scores afterwards. What I do often get is lots of listening to Pat Bonner talking in moronic platitudes about a run of the mill Celtic victory for what seems like half the time before OTB comes on. Every second spent listening to Pat Bonner is a wasted second.

You should be sad like me and go to the games with your earphones in listening to open all mics. It's a pain in the arse when you lose signal constantly though

3 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

They never used to have shows every weekday in the time of Traynor and Your Call. Now they do and so they get to talk about Sevco and Celtic every day. Even Off The Ball talks about them far more than they used to, with Tam especially being quite the apologist and becoming a sycophant.

Also guess how many reporters they had at the Kilmarnock/Hibs last night.

It has been brutal listening recently. They don't seem to realise how obsessed they are with Rangers and Celtic and how much of each show is dedicated to talking about them. 

4 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Because the show is based there doesn't mean they have to have more reporters there. Richard Gordon is regularly based at Pittodrie, he's been at Murrayfield also, and there have still been more than one reporter at Celtic Park. To be fair it's usually because one of them is Pat Bonner, and he needs someone else to identify the non Celtic players for him.

When they're based somewhere other than Celtic Park it doesn't always mean they have more reporters there, and the "tiff" is a nonsense as despite "boycotting" Rangers they still have pundits sitting in a studio watching a feed describing the action to us. Even more laughable is when a Rangers match at Ibrox is live on TV and they provide commentary with the commentators in a studio watching the tv.

I agree the "commentating off a TV" is farcical*, but I don't see what else they can do. If they refused to cover Rangers games at all due to their ban on Chris McLaughlin, then Rangers fans would complain to the Trust that they weren't getting fair coverage (and would probably win). They would also be punishing the fans of other teams when they happen to be playing against Rangers. On the other hand, allowing Rangers to dictate which BBC employee covers them would set a horrible precedent for other walks of life (e.g. politics) as well as football.

*Although it does remind me of Channel 4's old coverage of Italian football!

Just now, JamesM82 said:

I agree the "commentating off a TV" is farcical*, but I don't see what else they can do. If they refused to cover Rangers games at all due to their ban on Chris McLaughlin, then Rangers fans would complain to the Trust that they weren't getting fair coverage (and would probably win). They would also be punishing the fans of other teams when they happen to be playing against Rangers. On the other hand, allowing Rangers to dictate which BBC employee covers them would set a horrible precedent for other walks of life (e.g. politics) as well as football.

I agree with all of that. 

I am spectacularly resentful of the OF, but I don't generally seem to despise most of the pundits in the way many on here do.
Barry Ferguson is obviously rather a simpleton, as is Alex Rae.
The others, although irritating at times, aren't too bad though.
I think that Richard Gordon and Tom English are, for the most part, really quite good.

Mostly agree with this but I feel the previously excellent Tom English is in danger of disappearing up his own arse.
Do still enjoy him noising up wee Chick though.

On what grounds? Other clubs get hee haw coverage and would have no recourse to complain. Games in midweek not covered at all, especially in the lower leagues. Games with no reporters when there are 3 or 4 plus someone doing interviews at some games. Games where there are no teamlines or interviews before the game and only a cursory scoreline after the game. Why should Rangers be treated any differently. Oh wait, I've answered my own question there, haven't I?

7 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

On what grounds? Other clubs get hee haw coverage and would have no recourse to complain. Games in midweek not covered at all, especially in the lower leagues. Games with no reporters when there are 3 or 4 plus someone doing interviews at some games. Games where there are no teamlines or interviews before the game and only a cursory scoreline after the game. Why should Rangers be treated any differently. Oh wait, I've answered my own question there, haven't I?

By comparison with other teams at their level of football.

1 hour ago, Rugster said:

They usually have more “reporters” at Celtic Park because that’s where the commentary is from. So you have commentator, summariser, OAM reporter and post-match interviewer.  Occasionally Tom English or Richard Wilson will be there too, but you’re also just as likely to find them at Pittodrie or Easter Road even when Celtic are the commentary  

Other Premiership matches have the OAM reporter and post-match interviewer. 

Unusually, a Celtic home game a few weeks ago wasn’t the commentary game and they had just the two people. 

1 minute ago, The Master said:

They usually have more “reporters” at Celtic Park because that’s where the commentary is from. So you have commentator, summariser, OAM reporter and post-match interviewer.  Occasionally Tom English or Richard Wilson will be there too, but you’re also just as likely to find them at Pittodrie or Easter Road even when Celtic are the commentary  

Other Premiership matches have the OAM reporter and post-match interviewer. 

Unusually, a Celtic home game a few weeks ago wasn’t the commentary game and they had just the two people. 

I'm talking specifically about OAM. They usually have two people on OAM specific duty, which is not justifiable.