Sportsound Watch

John Hartson stating that Scotland doesn't need a strong Rangers, and that only Rangers need a strong Rangers. He also said that the vast majority of folk outside of Scotland don't care about Scottish football and never have done, even when Rangers were challenging Celtic.

He let himself down slightly by maintaining that Rangers were demoted (even claiming that the chairmen of other clubs voted for that), but added that it was all their own fault.

This was followed up by Neil Alexander disagreeing and saying Scottish football does need a strong Rangers. Part of his attempt at reasoning was that when Rangers are challenging it forces Celtic to up their game, which in turn forces Rangers to up their game, and thus the rest of the league must try and keep up. We all know how well it ended for teams who did that in the past

6 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Apparently every boardroom in Scottish football wants to see a strong rangers according to Chris McLaughlin.

Stewart Milne will be giving Derek a lift to govan tomorrow then I take it.

I must have missed Sevco's visits to Edinburgh City, Montrose, Raith Rovers, Ayr, Stenhousemuir etc last season. And the season before.

If only there was some way of showing that absolutely none of them need Sevco visiting 1 or 2 times a season. Like, circa 100 years of the majority of teams not being in the same league as them. Like 4 seasons of the new club not being in the top league and clubs doing just fine.

19 minutes ago, Crawford Bridge said:

I must have imagined the big crowds vs. Hearts, Aberdeen, Dundee Utd and Falkirk at Easter Road this year. Without a strong Rangers these attendances are impossible.

It's such an obvious point, but it really does somehow seem to escape the OF cretins given a media voice.

There is plenty going on in Scottish football that attracts interest and crowds and has nothing to do with the OF.  The evidence for this is concrete and undeniable, yet people still feel entitled to deny it.

They should be shouted down with the facts every single time.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Apparently every boardroom in Scottish football wants to see a strong rangers according to Chris McLaughlin.

Stewart Milne will be giving Derek a lift to govan tomorrow then I take it.

Did Chris McLaughlin really say that?  Why wasn't it demanded that he justify that remark?

I'm once more seething.

Did Chris McLaughlin really say that?  Why wasn't it demanded that he justify that remark?

I'm once more seething.

He did.

He said it might not be reflected in the stands but every chairman in Scotland wants the investment that a strong rangers brings (may not be exact quote but basically that’s what he said).

ETA - no, nobody challenged it.

24 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

He did.

He said it might not be reflected in the stands but every chairman in Scotland wants the investment that a strong rangers brings (may not be exact quote but basically that’s what he said).

ETA - no, nobody challenged it.

I'm furious.

It bears no scrutiny at all.

Firstly it ignores the fact that most clubs in Scotland won't benefit at all because Rangers won't visit them.

Then it ignores the fact that a visit or two from Rangers in the top flight is not especially lucrative as proven by the fact that most top flight teams' gates didn't suffer in their absence.

Thirdly, it doesn't follow that these visiting supports would be significantly bigger if Rangers were playing well.

Finally, it makes the utterly bizarre assumption that chairmen can only be at all interested in how much gross income enters their club.  Apparently, this is far more important than enhanced chances of success in terms of things like league placing, European qualification and trophies.

It's the most narrow, ignorant and stupid perspective.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

Over 3000 more at Aberdeen vs Ross County than at Bournemouth vs Chelsea...

Obviously this is because Bournmouth have a stadium with a smaller capacity than East End Park, but these sort of 'facts' are the level of arguments we're operating at in regard to crowd debates in Scotland

Chris McLaughlin is an an absolute lightweight.

......and hence no doubt relies on a wee phone call from Jabba telling him how to pitch his BBC guff. Keef “Wee Blondie” Jacks**n has been operating this way for years, as did The Succulent Jabba himself, before he became the Lord HawHaw of Scottish football.

......and hence no doubt relies on a wee phone call from Jabba telling him how to pitch his BBC guff. Keef “Wee Blondie” Jacks**n has been operating this way for years, as did The Succulent Jabba, before he became the Lord HawHaw of Scottish football.

No fan of McLaughlin but I don't think his relationship with iprix is that cozy. BBC ban is down to his impeccable reporting of their vile fans behaviour.

Tedious usual suspects claiming nobody has banned the BBC incoming.

No fan of McLaughlin but I don't think his relationship with iprix is that cozy. BBC ban is down to his impeccable reporting of their vile fans behaviour.

Tedious usual suspects claiming nobody has banned the BBC incoming.

Fair do’s, wmm, but the cynic in me still thinks that behind-the-scenes relationships are unaffected by PR stunts such as Sevco’s ‘banning’ of the BBC.

16 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

......and hence no doubt relies on a wee phone call from Jabba telling him how to pitch his BBC guff. Keef “Wee Blondie” Jacks**n has been operating this way for years, as did The Succulent Jabba himself, before he became the Lord HawHaw of Scottish football.

THE BBC not being able to carry out normal duties at Ibrox because of Chris McLaughlin, would make your post a wee bit silly!