Sportsound Watch

Don’t get me wrong, I criticise Sportsound and their OF sycophancy as much as the next person. 

But, as I’ve said before, it’s important that all criticism is fact-based. Otherwise the genuine complaints are undermined. 

2 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

They don't seem to realise how obsessed they are with Rangers and Celtic and how much of each show is dedicated to talking about them. 

The interminable veneration of The Duality will ultimately damage The Rest at a time when our second tier clubs are showing revival in terms of attendances and may be growing towards their potential. The futility of pursuit by The Rest is hammered home endlessly.

The continuing and growing litany that Scottish Football needs a ‘strong rangers’ is accepted as fact and goes unchallenged, based unreservedly on the erroneous faith that only a ‘strong rangers’ can challenge celtic. The fact is only a ‘strong rangers’ spending many millions of Blue Pounds they do not have could currently challenge celtic but this is either deliberately overlooked or a degree of self-denial is at play the beggars belief.

Edited by EdTheDuck
missed a word oot

49 minutes ago, The Master said:

Don’t get me wrong, I criticise Sportsound and their OF sycophancy as much as the next person. 

But, as I’ve said before, it’s important that all criticism is fact-based. Otherwise the genuine complaints are undermined. 

I'm not getting into an argument with you as you've clearly got superior knowledge of the media coverage of the SPFL in Scotland from your previous postings, but I have definitely heard Pat Bonner being corrected on Open All Mics by another reporter during a game, and also heard more than one person discussing incidents at Parkhead during OAM, and it wasn't Richard Gordon who was there as host. 

9 minutes ago, Rugster said:

I'm not getting into an argument with you as you've clearly got superior knowledge of the media coverage of the SPFL in Scotland from your previous postings, but I have definitely heard Pat Bonner being corrected on Open All Mics by another reporter during a game, and also heard more than one person discussing incidents at Parkhead during OAM, and it wasn't Richard Gordon who was there as host. 

Maybe I'm missing something but couldn't it just be that they're doing it as a commentary game on another frequency so requires the requisite coachload of former Rangers/Celtic players? 

4 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Maybe I'm missing something but couldn't it just be that they're doing it as a commentary game on another frequency so requires the requisite coachload of former Rangers/Celtic players? 

No, if it's commentary there's a different person doing OAM, they don't interrupt the commentators to get updates. 

15 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Pat Bonner is both the worst and most useless person currently employed by the BBC to provide football coverage and any criticism of or in any way involving him is entirely justified.

It boils my piss when everyone’s calls him “Paccie”.

32 minutes ago, Rugster said:

It could well be the second reporter who is there do do post-match interviews and report for Sportscene. But all games have one of those (except at Ibrox, natch, where nobody goes). 

At risk of ridicule, I keep a record of reporters and commentators for another website, for people who have even more interest in this than I do. And there's never been more OAM-specific reporters at Celtic Park than at any other ground since they started doing it for league weekends (which must be getting on for 10 years ago now). 

Edited by The Master

Just now, The Master said:

It could well be the second reporter who is there do do post-match interviews and report for Sportscene. But all games have one of those (except at Ibrox, natch, where nobody goes). 

At risk of ridicule, I keep a record of reporters and commentators for another website, for people who have even more interest in this than I do. And there's never been more OAM-specific reporters at Celtic Park than at any other ground since they started going it for league weekends (which must be getting on for 10 years ago now). 

I searched Google to see if I could find something like that but nothing came up! If you could link me to that website (if it's for public use) I could put my mind at rest that I'm not going insane and may remember who I heard correcting Bonner and it could turn out to be the reporter maybe. Something in the back of my head telling me it was Allan Preston but he's not usually at Celtic matches at Parkhead.

2 minutes ago, Rugster said:

I searched Google to see if I could find something like that but nothing came up! If you could link me to that website (if it's for public use) I could put my mind at rest that I'm not going insane and may remember who I heard correcting Bonner and it could turn out to be the reporter maybe. Something in the back of my head telling me it was Allan Preston but he's not usually at Celtic matches at Parkhead.

It's on Digital Spy - https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/2226935/radio-football-commentators-and-reporters-2017-18/p1

There is one weekend I missed in August, granted. 

It's usually Chris McLaughlin or Jonathan Sutherland who does the pre/post-match interviews at Celtic Park so it might have been one of them you heard. 

9 minutes ago, The Master said:

It's on Digital Spy - https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/2226935/radio-football-commentators-and-reporters-2017-18/p1

There is one weekend I missed in August, granted. 

It's usually Chris McLaughlin or Jonathan Sutherland who does the pre/post-match interviews at Celtic Park so it might have been one of them you heard. 

Thanks I'll have a look. I'm either going insane, or imagining things, or I've got mixed up and it's been Bonner talking with the OAM reporter at half time being corrected then.

Sorry to butt in on this embryonic bromance between Ruggie and His Nibs, but maybe one of you could put my mind at rest re. OAM.
My question is this - is the actual format of this broadcast (which I absolutely detest BTW, like a bunch of school kids clamouring for teacher’s attention all at once) purely for reasons of economy ?
I hope it is, as it comes across as a most amateurish, disorganised pile of crap. IMHO, naturally.

In anticipation of your early response etc.........

Just now, Florentine_Pogen said:

Sorry to butt in on this embryonic bromance between Ruggie and His Nibs, but maybe one of you could put my mind at rest re. OAM.
My question is this - is the actual format of this broadcast (which I absolutely detest BTW, like a bunch of school kids clamouring for teacher’s attention all at once) purely for reasons of economy ?
I hope it is, as it comes across as a most amateurish, disorganised pile of crap. IMHO, naturally.

Must be. A few years ago they used to offer an online option of live commentary from all of the premiership matches, but chucked it I presume due to budget.

3 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

They used to provide live commentary from all SPL (as-was) matches, two via 810MW/92-95FM and the rest online. 

But OAM was the format they always adopted for the early rounds of the Scottish Cup. This, apparently, proved popular with supporters and so it was adopted for league weekends as well, with the additional commentaries quietly dropped. Which at the time was a bit shitty because the BBC had already sewn-up exclusive commentary rights - and always alternated between Celtic Park and Ibrox for their 3pm commentary (except when they were playing each other, natch).

There's no denying, though, that it's cheaper. They now only need to send two people to each game (OAM and Sportscene) where previously it would have been three (commentator, summariser and Sportscene). 

Edited by The Master