Sportsound Watch

36 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Can anyone explain how Chick Young made a living from sports journalism?

When he used to do a written column on the BBC website, it was fucking atrocious - just really badly done in every respect. So any thought that his strength was in being a hack that stumbled into broadcasting can be cast aside.

Agreed about Miller and Bonnar, they've no interest in any Club outside of their own, 

Tom English is good but again is an obvious Rodgers fanboy and doesn't hide it.

Stewart and Thommo are very good IMO, really like them on Sportscene too,

Craig Paterson is decent on it as is Spence, Biscuits and  Kris Commons isn't a bad addition,

Kris Boyd ,wee Bazza and Alex Rae are required for the lols really 

Overall I think it's a good listen,covers most of the issue s in Scottish football,go back a few years and outside of the OF you heard dick all about any other team .

I rarely listen to OAM but I listen to Sportsound through the week and it's conveniently timed when I'm driving to 5s and 7s.

The bodying of Alex Rae is a good example of what Tom English does well. He's a palate cleanser. He particularly shows his worth when you've got someone like Kenny McIntyre anchoring the show who often sounds to be little more than a fan with a mic. Same goes for Richard Wilson, speaking of whom who was it that outed him as a Rangers fan on air? Was it English?

The upshot of having guys like that on and essentially controlling the discussion means that you just invariably end up with the conversation cul-de-sac'ing around OF-centric topics and ultimately it drives the direction of the discussion. The running order is also going to be dictated by producers rather that pundits so those putting the show together are as much to blame as anyone tbh.

I'm someone else who doesn't actually mind either Ferguson. Derek in particular is a decent enough listen, he's enthusiastic and he played with enough clubs (at various levels) during his career that when he's discussing other sides he seems sincere when he's giving his point of view. Obviously, it's a different show but when you contrast him with someone like Willie Miller who openly said he'd not bother doing any sort of research just because then I find it difficult to give Derek Ferguson a hard time.

57 minutes ago, Swello said:

When he used to do a written column on the BBC website, it was fucking atrocious - just really badly done in every respect. So any thought that his strength was in being a hack that stumbled into broadcasting can be cast aside.

You could have at least written a 1000-word extended metaphor. I find that really helps hammer home your point.

On 10/31/2017 at 20:12, Patrick Bateman said:

Sportsound is worse than it's ever been.

Richard Gordon gets way too easy a time from people on here as well. He's just as guilty, if not more so, of OF pandering and sneering at smaller teams.

I always go back to the time when he announced, in some January (possibly 2007), that they were going to break a huge story that would be the biggest of the season, making clear that he included the remainder of the season in that statement. The story? Barry Ferguson had been stripped of the Rangers captaincy. Folk texted in to complain, and he huffily cried that folk could change the station if they didn't like it.

49 minutes ago, Co.Down Hibee said:

Agreed about Miller and Bonnar, they've no interest in any Club outside of their own, 

Craig Paterson is decent on it as is Spence, Biscuits and  Kris Commons isn't a bad addition,

Overall I think it's a good listen,covers most of the issue s in Scottish football,go back a few years and outside of the OF you heard dick all about any other team .

Unless you think Scottish football is Celtic, Sevco, and occasional 3 or 4 other teams, it does nothing of the sort.

Craig Paterson is another ex-*** havering gobshite. Can still remember him urging Saints to run it into the corner when we were 3-0 up at Ibrokes.

I don't mind English but stopped taking him seriously when he legitimately claimed that Andy Robertson could be the answer to Scotland's central defensive problems.

Alex Rae's effort to make everyone believe he's not a total bampot by pronouncing every syllable of certain words is irritating - WE KNOW YOU, ALEX! STOP PRETENDING.

Boyd is a muppet who borderline shouts during programmes to get his point across. Reminiscent of Billy Dodds in the Real Leigh Griffiths Blog.

To be fair to McIntyre, I usually find his special interviews quite good; the one with Frank Kopel's wife was cracking. But as an anchor, his Rangers bias is pretty evident.

Tam McManus and Mikey Stewart are the two best pundits for me. 

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

What did he say and in what context?

He was asked a question about a lower league goal scorer. 

He said that he'd no idea about the lower leagues. The others laughed a bit and he qualified it by saying he didn't know because he didn't research the lower leagues and didn't see why he should have to.

7 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Alex Rae in that piece with Tom English :lol:

Kept saying "Fitball".

And "Old Firum"

1. Learn to speak if you're going to be on the wireless

2. There is no "old firum" any more, rangers died pal!

1 hour ago, Raidernation said:

And "Old Firum"

1. Learn to speak if you're going to be on the wireless

Agreed, although don't dare criticise Derek Ferguson for being inarticulate. Apparently it's fine because he's "enthusiastic".

Edited by Darren

6 hours ago, kingjoey said:

I’ve pulled you up on this before! Never heard Tom English shouting on Sportsound. Also, I was under the impression that because of the BBC’s bias against your mighty club, you don’t actually listen to Sportsound. 

"You've pulled me up" Have you really, i must have missed it, downside of all notifications being switched off.

The best example of his 'shoutyness' would be when the sons of struth guy was on about Rangers revoking two 'journalists' press privileges. Thomas wasn't a happy bunny that day.

5 minutes ago, bennett said:

"You've pulled me up" Have you really, i must have missed it, downside of all notifications being switched off.

The best example of his 'shoutyness' would be when the sons of struth guy was on about Rangers revoking two 'journalists' press privileges. Thomas wasn't a happy bunny that day.

I must have missed that one, and that’s so strange because that must be the only show that you’ve actually listened to. And there you go with that “Thomas”  thing again. It’s really not an insult, you know.

4 hours ago, capt_oats said:

I rarely listen to OAM but I listen to Sportsound through the week and it's conveniently timed when I'm driving to 5s and 7s.

The bodying of Alex Rae is a good example of what Tom English does well. He's a palate cleanser. He particularly shows his worth when you've got someone like Kenny McIntyre anchoring the show who often sounds to be little more than a fan with a mic. Same goes for Richard Wilson, speaking of whom who was it that outed him as a Rangers fan on air? Was it English?

The upshot of having guys like that on and essentially controlling the discussion means that you just invariably end up with the conversation cul-de-sac'ing around OF-centric topics and ultimately it drives the direction of the discussion. The running order is also going to be dictated by producers rather that pundits so those putting the show together are as much to blame as anyone tbh.

I'm someone else who doesn't actually mind either Ferguson. Derek in particular is a decent enough listen, he's enthusiastic and he played with enough clubs (at various levels) during his career that when he's discussing other sides he seems sincere when he's giving his point of view. Obviously, it's a different show but when you contrast him with someone like Willie Miller who openly said he'd not bother doing any sort of research just because then I find it difficult to give Derek Ferguson a hard time.

People would rather have an articulate person telling them nothing than an inarticulate one telling them something.

4 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Unless you think Scottish football is Celtic, Sevco, and occasional 3 or 4 other teams, it does nothing of the sort.

They've given a fair amount of coverage to the likes of Dundee Utd, Falkirk, ST Mirren whenever there have been managerial changes and so on ,not as much as Sevco but the reality is there are more OF fans out there than any other so they will always have more coverage than the rest, never been any different and most likely will never change. I imagine there's a similar media interest in most countries where a couple of teams are much bigger than the rest even when one is quite shite. Personally I accepted it years ago and when the likes of Jabba and Chico were slabbering their Murray cheerleading on the airwaves it was much worse than it is now.

Edited by Co.Down Hibee

36 minutes ago, Co.Down Hibee said:

They've given a fair amount of coverage to the likes of Dundee Utd, Falkirk, ST Mirren whenever there have been managerial changes and so on ,not as much as Sevco but the reality is there are more OF fans out there than any other so they will always have more coverage than the rest, never been any different and most likely will never change. I imagine there's a similar media interest in most countries where a couple of teams are much bigger than the rest even when one is quite shite. Personally I accepted it years ago and when the likes of Jabba and Chico were slabbering their Murray cheerleading on the airwaves it was much worse than it is now.

Do these other countries have a state broadcaster that people are taxed to finance and whose purpose is to provided fair, neutral coverage to all, especially providing content that private broadcasters wouldn't cover as it's not financially viable for them?

2 hours ago, kingjoey said:

I must have missed that one, and that’s so strange because that must be the only show that you’ve actually listened to. And there you go with that “Thomas”  thing again. It’s really not an insult, you know.

It's his name, no idea why you're getting worked up about it.