Sportsound Watch

2 hours ago, Crawford Bridge said:

OAM is popular with yer da. I agree with Florentine, it's a mess of a programme.

I think it's actually a decent idea.  It should be better than just listening to the one match.  The problem though, is that the pundits are more concerned with conveying excitement than information.

You should be sad like me and go to the games with your earphones in listening to open all mics. It's a pain in the arse when you lose signal constantly though

I'll confess to this as well. Much preferable to listening to constant moaning from most of the fans around me at Tannadice.

Tom English is, objectively, a rubbish football journalist. People seem to rate him on here because (a) he's surrounded by the absolute dregs of the Scottish sport media so seems somewhat competent, and (b) he sticks the boot into Rangers.

See, also Jim Spence. He's rubbish. But he winds up Rangers fans so he gets a free pass.

Tom English is, objectively, a rubbish football journalist. People seem to rate him on here because (a) he's surrounded by the absolute dregs of the Scottish sport media so seems somewhat competent, and (b) he sticks the boot into Rangers.

See, also Jim Spence. He's rubbish. But he winds up Rangers fans so he gets a free pass.

Why is he rubbish?

ETA: I really like him and it's not for any of the reasons you've said.

19 minutes ago, yoda said:

Tom English is a decent journalist when he sticks to print but on the radio he tends to follow whatevers popular on social media and gets all shouty if anyone disagrees with him.

Wee Jum plays the sevco card at all times.

Tom English knows very little about football. 

As Yoda says, he sounds very intelligent next to guy likes Preston and Young.

You know what I was a big fan of English but I totally agree with you now. I think my views were blinkered after his rants during the Oldco death.

May just be me but there are times he really goes for it when he knows he can win an argument but eases off (on the verge of contradicting himself) when he is on with folk he likes. He is really inconsistent.

Some of his written Sport columns are poor too.

I like Tom English, but I agree that he doesn’t seem to care about the smaller teams.

Jim Spence has always attracted praise because he has principles when it comes to things like the Old Firm, but he’s very limited as a journalist.

What do you mean he doesn't care about the smaller teams? Never had that impression once.

Agree about Jim Spence being limited but a good guy. English is excellent though, always enjoy listening to him and reading his columns.

12 hours ago, bennett said:

Tom English is a decent journalist when he sticks to print but on the radio he tends to follow whatevers popular on social media and gets all shouty if anyone disagrees with him.

Wee Jum plays the sevco card at all times.

I’ve pulled you up on this before! Never heard Tom English shouting on Sportsound. Also, I was under the impression that because of the BBC’s bias against your mighty club, you don’t actually listen to Sportsound. 

Tom English is very good regarding anything off the pitch - managers, board rooms, how clubs are run, how people come across in press conferences, putting Rangers in their place etc. He’s pretty lacking in any tactical analysis but any of the dozens of ex-players they unfortunately give air time to should be capable of covering that.

He doesn’t have much/any knowledge of the lower leagues but, given that he covers the Scottish Premiership every weekend and does rugby coverage as well, I’m not sure where people expect him to fit in time to look at anything else.

A lot of it comes down to a poor set up. If Chick Young or Willie Miller can’t be bothered covering games that don’t involve St Mirren/Aberdeen/Rangers, and they make that perfectly clear on OAM, then they shouldn’t be in the job (at least not week in, week out). That’s why guys like Derek Ferguson are generally considered decent because he can at least be enthusiastic about any game he’s covering.

I’d go out on a limb and say even Barry Ferguson, if you can look past the ned speak, can offer some decent tactical analysis at times. But if he’s on a programme all they ask him is what would have happened if a current situation had occurred while he was at Ibrox, which automatically gets you the Rangers attitude/dressing room/history of the club pish you’d expect. If they actually sat him down and made him watch Hibs vs Motherwell he could probably offer some semi-reasonable comment on the game afterwards.