Sportsound Watch

6 hours ago, Rugster said:

:lol::lol:

It's worse than it's ever been. It used to be really good only a few years ago.

You must be very young. 

5.30 every Saturday and it was 90 minutes of Jabba sneering at anyone of a non-*** persuasion. 

Now you get 2 hours of off the ball, an hour leading up to the games where old firm pundits are no longer in the majority. I'm not seeing how the current set up is anything like as bad as 6-10 years ago?

You must be very young. 
5.30 every Saturday and it was 90 minutes of Jabba sneering at anyone of a non-*** persuasion. 
Now you get 2 hours of off the ball, an hour leading up to the games where old firm pundits are no longer in the majority. I'm not seeing how the current set up is anything like as bad as 6-10 years ago?

If the hour building up to the game actually mentioned any of the other games going on then I'd agree with you but all too often you listen on your way to a game and have no team lines or even an indication that there are games on unless it's the commentary game (which will often be Celtic at home - how thrilling). That's when they're not mentioning some shenanigans down Ibrox way. It was 2.55 before a non Rangers or Celtic game was mentioned on Saturday.

17 minutes ago, fatshaft said:

You must be very young. 

That vast majority of the time 45 minutes of that hour is devoted to the cheeks. I'm not young, but you must be deaf. 

Sportsound is worse than it's ever been.
Richard Gordon gets way too easy a time from people on here as well. He's just as guilty, if not more so, of OF pandering and sneering at smaller teams.

Good point, well made. Plus the general level of the pundits is woeful - Chick Faeces, Billy Dodds, Alan Preston, Willie Miller etc.
Ugh.......[emoji51]

2 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Good point, well made. Plus the general level of the pundits is woeful - Chick Faeces, Billy Dodds, Alan Preston, Willie Miller etc.
Ugh.......emoji51.png

Haha, good een. Willie is excellent, as is Michael Stewart and Thompson.

14 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Sportsound is worse than it's ever been.

Richard Gordon gets way too easy a time from people on here as well. He's just as guilty, if not more so, of OF pandering and sneering at smaller teams.

You're just being daft now. 

Just now, Rugster said:

Willie Miller excellent? Thanks for confirming that you're trolling here. 

Perfectly serious. 

Seems some of you have quickly forgottten how bad radio scotland used to be, if only you'd hear a whole Saturday of the jabba era you'd realise how far its come. 

1 minute ago, fatshaft said:

Perfectly serious. 

Seems some of you have quickly forgottten how bad radio scotland used to be, if only you'd hear a whole Saturday of the jabba era you'd realise how far its come. 

Willie Miller actually said "why should I waste my time researching players" when asked about someone playing for a team other than Aberdeen. He's a fucking disgrace of a "pundit" and your bias is clear to see. Jamba is a c**t, but there are still many more left on the show, and it's so old firm centric it's laughable. Defending it is impossible. 

I am spectacularly resentful of the OF, but I don't generally seem to despise most of the pundits in the way many on here do.

Barry Ferguson is obviously rather a simpleton, as is Alex Rae.

The others, although irritating at times, aren't too bad though.

I think that Richard Gordon and Tom English are, for the most part, really quite good.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I am spectacularly resentful of the OF, but I don't generally seem to despise most of the pundits in the way many on here do.

Barry Ferguson is obviously rather a simpleton, as is Alex Rae.

The others, although irritating at times, aren't too bad though.

I think that Richard Gordon and Tom English are, for the most part, really quite good.

Tom English is far better than really quite good IMO.

They never used to have shows every weekday in the time of Traynor and Your Call. Now they do and so they get to talk about Sevco and Celtic every day. Even Off The Ball talks about them far more than they used to, with Tam especially being quite the apologist and becoming a sycophant.

Also guess how many reporters they had at the Kilmarnock/Hibs last night.

Willie Millar is worse than Chick Young.   Those two are a whole different ball game to the rest.

Don't mind the rest of them too much.      Michael Stewart and Tom English are the pick of the bunch and Derek Ferguson seems generally excited and enthusiastic no matter where he's reporting from.

I think Miller's analysis of games is alright, far better than the likes of Bonner etc.

Two things of his that I really dislike though are:

- How miserable he sounds if he deems a game boring

- His constant harping on about the big teams being in the top flight

I also understand the point about not researching other clubs players, that's poor.

On 31/10/2017 at 09:13, fatshaft said:

Have to say since Jabba got binned (and Chico assumed a much dimished role) Sportsound has gone from strength to strength. Pandering to the "old firm" is a thing of the past, long may Richard Gordon reign imo, and his collection of non - "old firm contributors and analysts. 

RossDur_Featured-768x576.jpg.873b9c2484c4f28b7b19f558503d7804.jpg

@Dons_1988 has it spot on for me regarding Miller. He gives off a Lawrenson - esque aura of he really can't be bothered half the time and some of his views are borderline moronic. That said he is a million times better than someone like Pat Bonner or Alex "No Surrender" Rae.

Edited by RiG

1 hour ago, RiG said:

RossDur_Featured-768x576.jpg.873b9c2484c4f28b7b19f558503d7804.jpg

@Dons_1988 has it spot on for me regarding Miller. He gives off a Lawrenson - esque aura of he really can't be bothered half the time and some of his views are borderline moronic. That said he is a million times better than someone like Pat Bonner or Alex "No Surrender" Rae.

^^^This.

Miller can be excellent, but only when he can be bothered/Aberdeen have a big game. The rest of the time, he offers nothing, although that still keeps him light years ahead of Rae and wee Barry.

Like most that actually go to games, I only really hear the "before" and "after" parts of Sportsound - I never listen to commentary games or open all mic's. That being the case, it's perfectly possible that (as a diddy team supporter) I hear nothing about the game I'm at that day as it's not really mentioned beforehand and is only mentioned in passing when reading the scores afterwards. What I do often get is lots of listening to Pat Bonner talking in moronic platitudes about a run of the mill Celtic victory for what seems like half the time before OTB comes on. Every second spent listening to Pat Bonner is a wasted second.