Sportsound Watch

Last night - David Currie, John "incomprehensible jibberish" Hartson, Steven Craigan.
If this is the level then the listener figures are going off a cliff shortly - dreadful again.
Aye. They were scheduled to discuss the title race and the relegation battle. 47 mins of the OF then 8 mins on all the teams in relegation and 5 mins about Livi for 3rd place. Total shit.

2 minutes ago, NorthBank said:
2 hours ago, Green Day said:
Last night - David Currie, John "incomprehensible jibberish" Hartson, Steven Craigan.
If this is the level then the listener figures are going off a cliff shortly - dreadful again.

Livi for 3rd place. 

You fucking what

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Worrying increase in the use of John Hartson.  He blatantly does not watch any Scottish football outside of Celtic, virtually to Bonner levels of ignorance.

He is also a classic cliche-ridden OF pundit.

I've said it elsewhere on this thread; Hartson's recovery from cancer and his gambling addiction is something to behold. As a pundit though, he is horrifically bad. Especially the way he says something and then just repeats it, because that will REALLY emphasise his point. It's ear bleedingly awful stuff.

And for the record, Livi finishing in 3rd place is fairytale stuff, with no chance of happening.

3 hours ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Did Celtic make a small step or a giant leap forward in the title race on Wednesday?

John Hartson: "Both"

Love this.

Up there with a couple of weekends ago when Derek Ferguson told us that Hamilton had started the game 'candidly'.

I heard it live, but thought I must have been mistaken till another poster mentioned it on this thread.

Are pundits who can use basic English too much to ask? Aye, apparently.

3 hours ago, Green Day said:

Part of what annoys about this is (and its not new) the BBC pandering to one segment of the population, despite being a national broadcaster.

FWIW, I dont think the entire country, or even just Glasgow, is endemically sectarian so lets leave that argument for another day - but the BBC production, output, presenters, editorial policy - seem to have some kind of Stockholm Syndrome about the two large Glasgow clubs.

It is so embedded that they dont even see that they are doing it.

Never understood why the Edinburgh and Dundee derbies can pass with minor incident yet anything that happens in the old firm (there's no old firm blah blah) becomes a massive issue. If I remember correctly about a year ago one Hibs fan made a racist comment to Ikpeazu. Hearts had made no comment before Hibs had come out very quickly and condemned it. No Hibs fan engaged in whataboutery. Hearts fans applauded the Hibs statement. Everyone moved on.

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

Never understood why the Edinburgh and Dundee derbies can pass with minor incident yet anything that happens in the old firm (there's no old firm blah blah) becomes a massive issue. If I remember correctly about a year ago one Hibs fan made a racist comment to Ikpeazu. Hearts had made no comment before Hibs had come out very quickly and condemned it. No Hibs fan engaged in whataboutery. Hearts fans applauded the Hibs statement. Everyone moved on.

Because those derbies are not the greatest in the world. HTH.

23 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

Love this.

Up there with a couple of weekends ago when Derek Ferguson told us that Hamilton had started the game 'candidly'.

I heard it live, but thought I must have been mistaken till another poster mentioned it on this thread.

Are pundits who can use basic English too much to ask? Aye, apparently.

I will generally defend Derek Ferguson from the point of view that he's thick as f**k, but is genuinely passionate about whatever game he's watching and has usually done his research.

29 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Aye but whaurs ra passion byraway.

37 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Yep, and the guy involved got a life ban iirc - all dealt with correctly by Hibs and Hearts exec teams who recognise that coked and bevvied up radges exist in their own supports not just "over the road"...................

You might have missed the interview Dempster gave after (one of) our bottle throwing incidents - she was absolutely raging with those responsible. I just dont see Lawell or Traynor / <insert faceless Orc executive from Rangers> reacting in anything approaching that manner, without including some point scoring pish, a la Rangers tears and snotters effort the other day.

34 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I will generally defend Derek Ferguson from the point of view that he's thick as f**k, but is genuinely passionate about whatever game he's watching and has usually done his research.

I don't care how passionate he is or how much research he does. He can't use basic words properly so he shouldn't be broadcasting on national radio.

3 minutes ago, Darren said:

I don't care how passionate he is or how much research he does. He can't use basic words properly so he shouldn't be broadcasting on national radio.

Ideally not but he actually can talk about just any team in the league with decent knowledge behind him which is an improvement on most. He's further down the list of pundits needing emptied.

Have to agree with this view as it’s annoying as feck. Similarly with Packy Bonner who cannot pronounce Tom Rogic name correctly, saying ‘Rojick’ instead of ‘Rogich’. You would think it would be easy for the BBC to rectify their ignorance.

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I don't really disagree with that.

He does at least seem to love watching the football and gets right into it.

I don't think he offers much, but he's far from the worst.

But I do love the idea of Accies kicking off and one of their players picking up the ball and refusing to continue until he had explained to the watching public that "To be honest, we're really shite and you've probably wasted your money coming to see us. We charge way too much to get in and we're not a very good football team. Training was shite this week and the players are all at each other's throats as well as the gaffer's. None of us ever really imagined we'd end up playing for shite like the Accies, but here we are. Everyone ok with that? Ok. Let's continue."

Edited by JTS98