Sportsound Watch

On 05/09/2020 at 14:39, cmontheloknow said:

Neil McCann describes the Czech line up for monday as "Rag Arse Rovers"

One of the funnier moments of recent Sportsound output!

I suspect that Rag Arse Rovers will tear us a new one as they have a point to prove. Clarke's after-match point about being taken by surprise by players he hadn't been able to research will be one to add to the 'its everyone else's fault, certainly not our world class players'.

The other thing I tried was to buy one of these DAB radios, as the BBC Sport Scotland website said the Scotland matches were available on that as well as on MW.
What I found was that it was just the FM programming that was being broadcast on digital radio, so still no Scotland-football-type torture for me. (But Tesco did kindly refund me for the digital radio).
Sorry to bore you. Off I go.

I agree this is a nuisance but I am sure MW and digital are always the same programmes. What we need is consistency as where the football is. It seems to matter who is playing.

11 hours ago, akuram said:

I agree this is a nuisance but I am sure MW and digital are always the same programmes. What we need is consistency as where the football is. It seems to matter who is playing.

Aye, its supposed to be that, but a few times they have had a commentary match on DAB (usually a Glasgow based team............) when its supposed to be the main programme on DAB.

Sounds like a minor thing, but it isnt - I know I can just switch the main prog on via laptop or whatever but maybe an older person wouldnt.

Its been like this for years.

On 05/09/2020 at 15:39, cmontheloknow said:

Neil McCann describes the Czech line up for monday as "Rag Arse Rovers"

One of the funnier moments of recent Sportsound output!

And probably the most informed and eloquent thing he's ever said on the radio. 

13 hours ago, Mon_The_Fife said:

Why does Chick Young constantly harp on about players of the 80’s and 90’s? Completely irrelevant much like himself these days.

and he needs reminding McGrain / Jardine at left back was not a sucess against Yugoslavia in 1974

Perhaps Tam Cowan being a co-commentator on Motherwell’s Europa League game was a little light relief.

However, it doesn’t sit easy that they had him and Stuart Cosgrove as the Open All Mics “reporters” at Fir Park today. It’s basically a case of taking two supporters that ordinarily wouldn’t have been allowed into the match and abusing what is currently a privilege afforded to accredited journalists and pundits; because it’s pretty obvious neither would have been there for OAM in normal times.

Next they’ll have Willie Miller covering Aberd...oh...

But seriously, at least Willie Miller is a regular reporter on Aberdeen games and hasn’t just been shoe-horned in so he can see his team in the flesh while (most) other fans can’t. 

Perhaps Tam Cowan being a co-commentator on Motherwell’s Europa League game was a little light relief.
However, it doesn’t sit easy that they had him and Stuart Cosgrove as the Open All Mics “reporters” at Fir Park today. It’s basically a case of taking two supporters that ordinarily wouldn’t have been allowed into the match and abusing what is currently a privilege afforded to accredited journalists and pundits; because it’s pretty obvious neither would have been there for OAM in normal times.
Next they’ll have Willie Miller covering Aberd...oh...
But seriously, at least Willie Miller is a regular reporter on Aberdeen games and hasn’t just been shoe-horned in so he can see his team in the flesh while (most) other fans can’t. 
Aye the Bbc are really pushing the "OTB is a national treasure" line these days. Whereas in reality, it's probably time to move on.

I think Julie Fleeting's been quite good as a co-commentator the odd time I've heard her.  And I reckon she'll be fine on OAM once she gets used to.it. Although she did commit the cardinal sin yesterday by saying "Goal !!" but failing to say which team had scored before giving a fairly detailed summary of the move which led to the goal. 

38 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Meh. I thought they did a decent job. They were descriptive enough and didn't interrupt unnecessarily.

Better than some of the shite they often have on.

That misses the point. 

The idea of sending “Stuart and Tam” to Fir Park for OAM wouldn’t have seen the light of day had it not been for games being played behind closed doors. 

It just seems wrong that two people are given a role they’ve never filled before just so they can be part of the few that are allowed in. 

8 minutes ago, The Master said:

That misses the point. 

The idea of sending “Stuart and Tam” to Fir Park for OAM wouldn’t have seen the light of day had it not been for games being played behind closed doors. 

It just seems wrong that two people are given a role they’ve never filled before just so they can be part of the few that are allowed in. 

They have done it before, and I wouldn't be against them doing it again. They are BBC Scotland employees.

11 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

They have done it before, and I wouldn't be against them doing it again. They are BBC Scotland employees.

When?

The guy who sweeps the third floor of Pacific Quay is also a BBC Scotland employee and I hear he’s a big Hamilton fan. Should they send him to report on Hamilton’s next game?

5 minutes ago, The Master said:

When?

The guy who sweeps the third floor of Pacific Quay is also a BBC Scotland employee and I hear he’s a big Hamilton fan. Should they send him to report on Hamilton’s next game?

The first one apparently 😄

They're guys who talk about football on a regular basis, and no less qualified than most of the other Open All Mics guys.