Sportsound Watch

11 minutes ago, ewan14 said:

We lost a goal , and consequently drew and did not qualify from the group

Was it entirely down to the choice of fullbacks? If not it seems a bit random to assign all the blame to them and say it wasn’t a success.

35 minutes ago, ewan14 said:

We lost a goal , and consequently drew and did not qualify from the group

Following that simplistic logic it must have been a success in the nil-nil game a few days before against Brazil as we kept a clean sheet.  And the game against England shortly before that must have been a resounding success as we won 2-nil.

And what about the 2-1 win against a strong Czech team when we qualified for the 1974 finals ?... We lost a goal due to an absolute howler from the keeper , but the mere fact that we lost a goal seems to mean that the experiment with McGrain and Jardine as full backs wasn't a success in ewan14's world.  But, on the other hand , we won the game and qualified for the finals so that points to the experiment being a success , doesn't it ?

Help me out here , ewan ....I'm confused.

3 hours ago, Rodhull said:

Was it entirely down to the choice of fullbacks? If not it seems a bit random to assign all the blame to them and say it wasn’t a success.

Yugoslavia were a very good team. Fine margins , etc

It has obviously been worse recently , until Liam Palmer ( seems to have ) made the position his own

Edited by ewan14

Some favourite   Sportsound  moments...

Returning pundit Willie Miller, covering an Aberdeen home match on Open All Mics  for one of the first times, being spotted nodding off by a keen-eyed supporter whose subsequent text allowed host Richard Gordon to wake him up on-air with a surprise "And now to Pittodrie..."

Mr Gordon and Chic Young arguing about the odds of there being an Old Firm semi final being drawn out for one of the cup competitions; last word went to the host, but Mr Young was quite right.

Charlie Mann, when covering a very exciting lower league play off decider, improving upon the familiar tie-break competition known as the 'penalty shoot out' with the far more dramatic yet accurate phrase "deadline kick-offs".

Derek Ferguson, similarly covering an exciting match, at Tynecastle, coining a phrase for a full back running inside his winger as being on his "inner lap".

An unnamed pundit, working Open All Mics for one of his first times, having to be told that there had been a goal at his game, which he had completely missed (to be fair, it was a very dull game).

New pundit Steven Thompson, covering his first winter time evening kick off, underestimating the cold of sitting in a stand for a couple of hours and so only wearing a t-shirt and light jacket, shuddering his way through the entire commentary and receiving not one bit of sympathy from his older, wiser colleagues.

Aberdeen legend Willie Miller, broadcasting from the main stand at Pittodrie, recounting how he had been delayed in the car park by an enthusiastic but oblivious steward who, on seeing his BBC accreditation and in trying to direct him where to park, asked in all earnestness "Have you ever been here before, Mr Miller?".

All in, it's a good laugh at times and I admire all of them for broadcasting live - something I would never have the courage to do.

Thursday night’s podcast was 27 minutes rounding up the Scottish teams in Europe.  In reality this consisted of 16 mins of in depth analysis of Rangers absolutely routine 5-0 thrashing of a very poor Red Imps side. Followed by a grand total of 8 minutes allowed  for the most cursory discussion of what was a far more exciting and interesting match, Motherwell vs Coleraine, where Motherwell were 2-0 up, pegged back to 2-2 then won in a penalty shoot out AND Aberdeen beating Viking Stavanger, which was by a distance the most difficult match for any of the Scottish clubs that night. 

Edited by Junior_Arab

19 hours ago, Oldster said:

Returning pundit Willie Miller, covering an Aberdeen home match on Open All Mics  for one of the first times, being spotted nodding off by a keen-eyed supporter whose subsequent text allowed host Richard Gordon to wake him up on-air with a surprise "And now to Pittodrie..."

Mr Gordon and Chic Young arguing about the odds of there being an Old Firm semi final being drawn out for one of the cup competitions; last word went to the host, but Mr Young was quite right.

Charlie Mann, when covering a very exciting lower league play off decider, improving upon the familiar tie-break competition known as the 'penalty shoot out' with the far more dramatic yet accurate phrase "deadline kick-offs".

Derek Ferguson, similarly covering an exciting match, at Tynecastle, coining a phrase for a full back running inside his winger as being on his "inner lap".

An unnamed pundit, working Open All Mics for one of his first times, having to be told that there had been a goal at his game, which he had completely missed (to be fair, it was a very dull game).

New pundit Steven Thompson, covering his first winter time evening kick off, underestimating the cold of sitting in a stand for a couple of hours and so only wearing a t-shirt and light jacket, shuddering his way through the entire commentary and receiving not one bit of sympathy from his older, wiser colleagues.

Aberdeen legend Willie Miller, broadcasting from the main stand at Pittodrie, recounting how he had been delayed in the car park by an enthusiastic but oblivious steward who, on seeing his BBC accreditation and in trying to direct him where to park, asked in all earnestness "Have you ever been here before, Mr Miller?".

All in, it's a good laugh at times and I admire all of them for broadcasting live - something I would never have the courage to do.

My favourite episode of Kenny MacIntyre's midweek programme was when John 'Bomber' Brown went head-to-head with Tom English, looking for an apology for either the "howling at the moon" comment or some criticism of his lack of credentials to be Dundee manager (sorry, I can't recall which). Needless to say, no apology was forthcoming - and battle commenced.

I also liked Allan Preston's short-lived pronunciation of new player Botty ByeBye*, but then I am an easily amused man-child.

*a malapropism?

2 hours ago, Junior_Arab said:

Thursday night’s podcast was 27 minutes rounding up the Scottish teams in Europe.  In reality this consisted of 16 mins of in depth analysis of Rangers absolutely routine 5-0 thrashing of a very poor Red Imps side. Followed by a grand total of 8 minutes allowed  for the most cursory discussion of what was a far more exciting and interesting match, Motherwell vs Coleraine, where Motherwell were 2-0 up, pegged back to 2-2 then won in a penalty shoot out AND Aberdeen beating Viking Stavanger, which was by a distance the most difficult match for any of the Scottish clubs that night. 

This was probably logistical more than anything else. They had a gap between the Rangers game and ourselves and Motherwell to fill with analysis.

Because Motherwell went to ET and pens their time slot for post match analysis will have been almost non-existent as they'd have to be off-air at a certain time.

21 hours ago, Oldster said:

One of my 'favourite' moments was in January (2007 I believe) when Richard Gordon announced that he had breaking news, and that, despite it only being January, this would be the biggest bit of news all year (he specified that this included the nearly 12 months to come), so monumental was this story.

The 'story' was that Barry Ferguson had been stripped of the (dead) Rangers' captaincy.

Many folk emailed and texted in, and Richard Gordon threw a massive titty baby tantrum and said folk could listen to something else if they didn't like it.

A true 'slip of the mask' moment.*

*I should clarify that I don't mean he is/was a fan of (dead) Rangers, or Sevco. He's unquestionably an Aberdeen fan. It's more that he's a massive sycophant towards (dead) Rangers, now Sevco, and Celtic.

Edited by DA Baracus

2 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

One of my 'favourite' moments was in January (2007 I believe) when Richard Gordon announced that he had breaking news, and that, despite it only being January, this would be the biggest bit of news all year (he specified that this included the nearly 12 months to come), so monumental was this story.

The 'story' was that Barry Ferguson had been stripped of the (dead) Rangers' captaincy.

Many folk emailed and texted in, and Richard Gordon threw a massive titty baby tantrum and said folk could listen to something else if they didn't like it.

A true 'slip of the mask' moment.

And 13 years later, you've never forgiven him. Impressive.