Sportsound Watch

People on here are really pissed off by the takeover by Aberdeen people on Sportsound. Like Pat Bonner. James McFadden, Michael Stewart, Alan Preston, Shelley Kerr, Tom English, Craig Levein, Darryl Broadfoot and people of that ilk. As usual the only way that folk will appreciate Mr Gordon is when he leaves.
I noticed a huge drop in the quality of the hosting post Scotland game on Saturday (Richard Gordon) and Tuesday (Kenny McIntyre). A frightening glimpse into a post RG Sportsound.

Had to listen to Sportsounds coverage of the first half of the Israel game. Leanne Crichton was bemoaning the two yellow cards and you are suspended rule as we definitely would not have conceded those goals due to Hanley's organising skills (WTF). Liam McLeod backed her up.

Willie Miller's reply (which I agreed with) was don't get booked. He said that the game has obviously changed since he played but most of the bookings we receive are warranted because they're for crazy challenges that are usually miles away from goal. Then went on to say both goals could have been conceded if we didn't give away the needless fouls in the first place.

Crichton and McLeod both went on to say the game has changed since he played. Morons.

1 hour ago, BucksburnDandy said:
On 12/10/2021 at 09:28, kingjoey said:
People on here are really pissed off by the takeover by Aberdeen people on Sportsound. Like Pat Bonner. James McFadden, Michael Stewart, Alan Preston, Shelley Kerr, Tom English, Craig Levein, Darryl Broadfoot and people of that ilk. As usual the only way that folk will appreciate Mr Gordon is when he leaves.

I noticed a huge drop in the quality of the hosting post Scotland game on Saturday (Richard Gordon) and Tuesday (Kenny McIntyre). A frightening glimpse into a post RG Sportsound.

100% this. When Richard Gordon is on, it is miles better than with anyone else hosting. Although he never does it, I think Jonathan Sutherland would be the natural successor to Richard Gordon.

Kenny McIntyre is truely awful. I think what Sportsound does is pretty successfully really have a reasonable representation of most of the viewpoints and areas of the country. If there was one criticism in that regard, it would be that maybe the lowland and Highland leagues are probably unrepresented.

I unfortunately have to agree of some of the criticism of Willie Miller though. His knowledge of the current game for an ex pro is pretty poor. Like Bonnar, he is maybe a generation too far removed from it, but rather than compensate for that by doing a bit of research, we just harks back to the 'in my day' attitude, which has a place of course, but not every time.

On off the ball, I think it is better when it is mixed up a bit. Thought Ray Bradshaw is really good everytime he is on. 

7 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

100% this. When Richard Gordon is on, it is miles better than with anyone else hosting. Although he never does it, I think Jonathan Sutherland would be the natural successor to Richard Gordon.

Would they not consider a big money transfer for Clyde SSB’s Gordon Duncan?

1 minute ago, ropy said:

Would they not consider a big money transfer for Clyde SSB’s Gordon Duncan?

Don't live in the west, so never listened to SSB, so no idea who he is, but cannot be worse than some of the alternatives on BBC Scotland.

Longer term, I'm not sure there is going to be much of a need for sportsound over and above live commentary or coverage of when there is a game on.

I know it's on less during the week now, but it's been sort of squeezed by non club podcasts and club specific podcasts.

I actually think they would do well to avoid any scottish anchor to be honest. If you go for a Non Rangers or celtic fan, the argument is they are biased against them. If you go for one or the other, one lots fans call them out all the time and non Rantic fans get annoyed. Maybe better just to yo for someone completely neutral 

Had to listen to Sportsounds coverage of the first half of the Israel game. Leanne Crichton was bemoaning the two yellow cards and you are suspended rule as we definitely would not have conceded those goals due to Hanley's organising skills (WTF). Liam McLeod backed her up.
Willie Miller's reply (which I agreed with) was don't get booked. He said that the game has obviously changed since he played but most of the bookings we receive are warranted because they're for crazy challenges that are usually miles away from goal. Then went on to say both goals could have been conceded if we didn't give away the needless fouls in the first place.
Crichton and McLeod both went on to say the game has changed since he played. Morons.

No surprise to hear Willie Miller finding a new way to be a miserable negative c**t about Scotland.

3 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Is there merit in what he's saying Craig?

I didn’t hear it, but from what you’ve said it sounds like they were saying that two yellows in qualifying shouldn’t be enough to warrant a match suspension. Is that fair?

If so, then Miller hasn’t countered that point at all (from your description), because what the yellows were for is irrelevant. And “just don’t get booked then” is also irrelevant.

I also don’t think it’s ridiculous to suggest we may have defended better with our best defender available, although obviously who knows. 

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

Is there merit in what he's saying Craig?

Not really. Scotland have had a total of 15 yellow cards across 8 games, which places us joint 20th out of the 55 nations in UEFA. That's without accounting for the fact that some countries have played fewer games as a result of being in smaller groups - if you take it down to a cards per game basis then I make it that we're joint 27th with less than 2 yellow cards per game. That plonks us directly in the middle in terms of how many yellow cards we get.

In keeping with all of his punditry he doesn't seem to realise that it's not 1985 any more, and that yellow cards are far more common nowadays. It's not like when he was playing where you had to basically break a bone or draw blood to get a yellow card.

21 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I didn’t hear it, but from what you’ve said it sounds like they were saying that two yellows in qualifying shouldn’t be enough to warrant a match suspension. Is that fair?

If so, then Miller hasn’t countered that point at all (from your description), because what the yellows were for is irrelevant. And “just don’t get booked then” is also irrelevant.

I also don’t think it’s ridiculous to suggest we may have defended better with our best defender available, although obviously who knows. 

What they yellows are for is absolutely relevant. There's a big difference between being slightly late in a hard challenge or receiving yellow cards for wiping guys out miles away from the box.

We've lost plenty soft goals with Hanley playing. To suggest we wouldn't have lost those because Hanley playing is nonsense. As Miller said, the goals wouldn't have happened if we didn't commit the needless foul in the first place.

20 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Not really. Scotland have had a total of 15 yellow cards across 8 games, which places us joint 20th out of the 55 nations in UEFA. That's without accounting for the fact that some countries have played fewer games as a result of being in smaller groups - if you take it down to a cards per game basis then I make it that we're joint 27th with less than 2 yellow cards per game. That plonks us directly in the middle in terms of how many yellow cards we get.

In keeping with all of his punditry he doesn't seem to realise that it's not 1985 any more, and that yellow cards are far more common nowadays. It's not like when he was playing where you had to basically break a bone or draw blood to get a yellow card.

The game has obviously changed. He stated this himself. It doesn't refute the point that you can avoid bookings by not committing yourself to daft challenges.

The same 2 bookings = a suspension is in place for the other teams also. 

2 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

What they yellows are for is absolutely relevant. There's a big difference between being slightly late in a hard challenge or receiving yellow cards for wiping guys out miles away from the box.

No, it isn’t. If the argument is that two yellows shouldn’t result in a one match suspension, then it doesn’t actually matter what the yellows are for - they still shouldn’t result in a one match suspension. 

Ten full minutes into tonight's radio coverage of Hamilton Academical v Partick Thistle and it's been wall to wall Ange Postecoglou "analysis" - with Chick and Kenny Mac getting animated/raising their voices in excitement.  No time to talk about Celtic over the weekend, obviously.

Edited by VictorOnopko