Sportsound Watch

I love Open All Mics and it'll be a sad day when Richard Gordon retires and Johnny Sunderland takes his place!  But Sportsound have really missed the mark with hiring Rory Loy and Cammy Bell.  Usually non event footballers retire, discover some opinions and an outspoken manner then become controversial pundits in and attempt to stay relevant and solvent (Kris Boyd, Chris Sutton, Micah Richards, Jamie Redknapp), but Loy and Bell are absolute sleeping pills!  I'd much rather listen to Sutton spout nonsense than a safe, emotionless Cammy Bell tell me how Killie are getting on 😴

Often miss OAM these days due to being at games, but thoroughly enjoyed it Wednesday night. Helped that it was quite eventful and busy, only one instance of goal-is-scored-but-nobody-says-which-team-scored-for-ages-ism and a welcome return to the line up for John Robertson. 

It has its flaws for sure, well documented on here by many posters, but I really like OAM and it annoys me no end when it isn't on and is replaced with just a commentary of a cheek game.

6 hours ago, ol1vercloff said:

I love Open All Mics and it'll be a sad day when Richard Gordon retires and Johnny Sunderland takes his place!  But Sportsound have really missed the mark with hiring Rory Loy and Cammy Bell.  Usually non event footballers retire, discover some opinions and an outspoken manner then become controversial pundits in and attempt to stay relevant and solvent (Kris Boyd, Chris Sutton, Micah Richards, Jamie Redknapp), but Loy and Bell are absolute sleeping pills!  I'd much rather listen to Sutton spout nonsense than a safe, emotionless Cammy Bell tell me how Killie are getting on 😴

Can't agree with that. Rory Loy is the best thing on Sportsound right now.

2 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Craig just says it as it is. No airs and graces . If someone is being a dick , he will call him a dick . He seems like a genuinely good guy. 

Agreed. I loved his response to a question about deadline day one year when they asked if he expected any late calls. He said my phone will be off because I’m away to see Snow Patrol. 

8 hours ago, AndyDD said:

Often miss OAM these days due to being at games, but thoroughly enjoyed it Wednesday night. Helped that it was quite eventful and busy, only one instance of goal-is-scored-but-nobody-says-which-team-scored-for-ages-ism and a welcome return to the line up for John Robertson. 

It has its flaws for sure, well documented on here by many posters, but I really like OAM and it annoys me no end when it isn't on and is replaced with just a commentary of a cheek game.

I will say I appreciated John Robertson was very clear in screaming GOAL & then the name of the team who scored. Which shouldn't be a big deal on a format like OAM but apparently is. Meanwhile Preston sometimes doesn't even remember to mention if there was a goal or merely a close chance, nevermind which team scored it.

49 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Preston is more interested in putting over the players he is agent for.

I know there's loads of examples of this, but the most brazen one I remember was when Dunfermline signed a young centre half called Urquhart (?).

Preston made him out to be Baresi Mk II.

The boy plummeted in short order like lead out the team and the SPFL I think.

53 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

I know there's loads of examples of this, but the most brazen one I remember was when Dunfermline signed a young centre half called Urquhart (?).

Preston made him out to be Baresi Mk II.

The boy plummeted in short order like lead out the team and the SPFL I think.

Stuart Urquhart. Was, erm, not very good (often mentioned when the discussion of worst players is had), although he had a heart issue I think that did his career in.

3 hours ago, RawB93 said:

Sorry, are they still discussing the only 0-0 of the day?

I managed to drive the whole way back from the game home and they didn't mention Utd v Saints or St Mirren v Dundee in that whole time. Bit of lip service to Aberdeen Hearts game, but must have been a good half hour solid on Celtic v Livi.