Sportsound Watch

I only caught about 5 minutes of this whilst driving earlier.

After Celtic win in the fashion they did, Bonner and I think it was Alan Preston were literally shouting at Lianne Crighton for daring to suggest that the winner came as a result of poor defending and NOT because St Johnstone celebrated their goal too much.

It was awkward and uncomfortable and verging on bullying.

Utter shitebags.

As I was driving home from Stirling this afternoon, McIntyre was telling the listeners about the big European games coming up this midweek. Celtic on Tuesday and Rangers on Wednesday with absolutely no mention of Hearts playing on Thursday. I was spitting feathers and I'm not even close to being a Hearts fan. Richard Gordon would've never done that and he also wouldn't have waited until after 5pm to run through the lower league results. They really don't care about anything outside Glasgow anymore.

12 minutes ago, microdave said:

As I was driving home from Stirling this afternoon, McIntyre was telling the listeners about the big European games coming up this midweek. Celtic on Tuesday and Rangers on Wednesday with absolutely no mention of Hearts playing on Thursday. I was spitting feathers and I'm not even close to being a Hearts fan. Richard Gordon would've never done that and he also wouldn't have waited until after 5pm to run through the lower league results. They really don't care about anything outside Glasgow anymore.

Nonsense. There's absolutely plenty in Glasgow they don't care about.

10 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

I'm pretty close to chucking it. A bit sad as I used to really like Open All Mics, but they're such dishonest cowards now that they can't call the show what it really is, that being a Sevco and Celtic chat show that will give occasional updates on scores, and I have no interest in listening to 'discussion' about the two teams I hate the most in all of football.

I wonder what the presenters and the people in charge of the production think about what they are putting out. They surely aren’t sitting at the end of the day saying ‘well done guys great show, especially liked the 40 minute discussion about a tackle that happened in the Rangers game 6 weeks ago’ or ‘top class today Kenny, I’m really liking that thing you do when you shout over the top of someone trying to explain what’s going on in the game he’s watching, so you can make a point about something else that we had already moved on from’. As almost everyone has said it’s a complete shambles, and somehow it seems to be getting worse after already being pretty bad.

They seem to be completely unaware that most people are tuning in to hear about the football, the multitude of games which kick off in Scotland at 3pm on a Saturday, which should give them loads of different subjects to talk about and the show should be moving on quickly as the match day evolves. Instead they seem to think that people would rather hear them going on and on about whatever has been happening in OF land that week. That usually results in petty squabbles breaking out which gets laboured over for an extended period of time because most of them aren’t adult enough to move on from it. By this time the games have started and you’ve not heard a starting line up or a bit of analysis from any non-OF game. 

‘Let’s go to Willie at Pittodrie, what’s happening Willie?’ 

‘Ehhh, well ehhh there was a chance there for someone, ehhh well the balls been cleared now but I was too busy talking to you there and missed it hahahaha’ 

Absolutely useless. 

I know this shouldn't be the case but there's really no point in the majority of folk on here listening anymore. I gave it five minutes after the first league games of the season before deciding that I was done. It's a shite state of affairs and I'd love for it to become a competent radio show, but there's very little chance of that happening with the current presenter and god-awful contributors so I don't bother listening. I'll get far more worthwhile summaries from reading match threads on here or checking the scores on my phone, which is annoying as a radio show before and after games is the perfect format, especially when you're driving to and from games, but it's quite simply a waste of time.

3 minutes ago, ropy said:

Are there any listening figures published?  Maybe the number of Rangers and Celtic listeners have increased, (presumably mainly Rangers).  Perhaps the rest of us are in the wrong.

The problem is that they have 100% of the listeners, regardless of the volume - and as they are the BBC, they dont really need to worry if those numbers fluctuate.

It would almost be acceptable if they did live commentaries on all the Premiership matches, then we could ignore all the shite up til 3pm. But since they canned that and all we are left with is OaM and whichever R or C match is on live its an utter waste of time.

3 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

The problem is that they have 100% of the listeners, regardless of the volume - and as they are the BBC, they dont really need to worry if those numbers fluctuate.

It would almost be acceptable if they did live commentaries on all the Premiership matches, then we could ignore all the shite up til 3pm. But since they canned that and all we are left with is OaM and whichever R or C match is on live its an utter waste of time.

I don’t buy this idea that the bbc don’t care about viewer/listener figures. 

No they’re not private sector and they’re completely reliant on it but I presume there’s a distribution of funding across regions that takes it into account.

2 hours ago, accies1874 said:

I know this shouldn't be the case but there's really no point in the majority of folk on here listening anymore.

I'll get far more worthwhile summaries from reading match threads on here or checking the scores on my phone, which is annoying as a radio show before and after games is the perfect format, especially when you're driving to and from games, but it's quite simply a waste of time.

The problem with that is that you can listen to the radio when you're working, driving or exercising.  I quite often go a long walk on a Saturday afternoon if I'm not going to a game, and I like listening to Sportsound (or I used to, anyway!).  

Sportsound should strive to be balanced because Rangers and Celtic fans already have reams of content to choose from (podcasts, commercial radio, every media outlet in Scotland give them 80% of their coverage), not to just match up to the imbalance.  I would also suspect some level-headed Old Firm fans - if such a thing exists - would agree that it's far too OF-heavy right now.  

Edited by resk

13 hours ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

I only caught about 5 minutes of this whilst driving earlier.

After Celtic win in the fashion they did, Bonner and I think it was Alan Preston were literally shouting at Lianne Crighton for daring to suggest that the winner came as a result of poor defending and NOT because St Johnstone celebrated their goal too much.

It was awkward and uncomfortable and verging on bullying.

Utter shitebags.

I actually thought she held her own and the yelling was no worse than they do with each other at times. The point they were both making was utter drivel though. 

12 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I don’t buy this idea that the bbc don’t care about viewer/listener figures. 

No they’re not private sector and they’re completely reliant on it but I presume there’s a distribution of funding across regions that takes it into account.

I agree, I doubt they dont care - its just that I dont believe that they are quite as reliant on it as the comercial stations.

I had a wee look at the available figures (which are not that helpful tbqhwy) and its not easy to drill down further than each regional station  - and R Scotland at that metric does pretty well.

My guess is that if the overall R Scotland numbers dropped dramatically, there would be changes at director level but I dont think their fundng is directly linked to listener figures (indeed, there is probably a bit of crossover with the BBC Scotland TV budget as well).

My frustration with them - as articulated by a few others on this thread - is what appears to be almost blanket coverage of Rangers and Celtic (more so than before), and it is absolutely to the detriment of the other sides.

Yesterday, when I was ranting about it being 20 mins til most ko's and they were still analysing and arguing over the Celtic winner, someone said "aye, and the next interview will be with Gio". 

Which is exactly what happened, and the rest of us fucking diddies got about 10 minutes between us. 

Post match, we seem to get "debate" pieces from Tom English et al re-analysing things (like the Goodwin ban) and not going straight round the grounds.

Its got to the point now where I dont even expect to hear post match analysis from every manager - and much though I could just turn to Hibs coverage and ignore everything else, I do actually like to hear other managers assessments of matches.

tldr - it used to be pish, now its worse.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Remember when Jim traynor had the brass neck to say rangers fans get cheated on their license fee compared with the rest of Scottish football :lol:

The BBCs refusal to cover our games confirmed his point.

6 minutes ago, bennett said:

The BBCs refusal to cover our games confirmed his point.

Except it’s simply not true and you know that. This refusal to cover games involved rangers still getting more air time than 40 other spfl clubs and match commentaries done from what sounded like Kenny macintyres bedroom. 

8 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

tldr - it used to be pish, now its worse.

I agree it’s getting worse but I feel like they must have made a conscious decision based on listening figures or something else because it’s quite frankly ridiculous coverage now. It can’t surely be just a subjective decision that this is what people really want…surely?