Sportsound Watch

Bill McAllister has passed away, so I read. Sad news - he reported on the Highland League for many years on Sportsound as well as writing for the Courier and books on Highland league football. His son played for Caledonian and a couple of years for Caley Thistle as well.

34 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Bill McAllister has passed away, so I read. Sad news - he reported on the Highland League for many years on Sportsound as well as writing for the Courier and books on Highland league football. His son played for Caledonian and a couple of years for Caley Thistle as well.

Was that the chap famous for his funny similes in his match reports?

Remember hearing them on the supporters bus heading back from games back in the day. 

13 hours ago, ICTChris said:

13 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Was that the chap famous for his funny similes in his match reports?

Remember hearing them on the supporters bus heading back from games back in the day. 

Ahh, there's a name from the past. Always had a lot of charm about his HL round ups on Sportsound. Had visions of him scurrying to the nearest phone box after a game to put his report together.

My dad knew Bill McAllister and probably worked with him, I texted him and he said that the obituraries won't do him justice.  The Courier has a good piece on him and his background - he seems like one of those people who did so much, author, councillor, reporter, also worked for the Sports Council.

https://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/news/highland-media-giant-bill-mcallister-dies-311327/

20 hours ago, TONTROOPER said:

Here we go again....

Sportsound trying to FABRICATE a fight between English and Stewart.

Stop it.

It's quite tiresome. I like listening to both of them though I may not agree with them always. Hate the petty arguments though. Doesn't make for good listening.

Had this on in the car on the way home from our game on Saturday to hear the post match manaer interviews and Kenny McIntyre said at least three times that it was St Mirren 0-3 Kilmarnock.

We were absolutely shit and Killie were very dece. However, to repeatedly get the scoreline in arguably the biggest game of the day wrong multiple times is amateur.

Not once did anybody even correct him.

Balloons.

2 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

Had this on in the car on the way home from our game on Saturday to hear the post match manaer interviews and Kenny McIntyre said at least three times that it was St Mirren 0-3 Kilmarnock.

We were absolutely shit and Killie were very dece. However, to repeatedly get the scoreline in arguably the biggest game of the day wrong multiple times is amateur.

Not once did anybody even correct him.

Balloons.

the first saints supporter who was on corrected him

Not so much Sportsound but BBC Radio Scotland sports report at 7.25 this morning didn’t even mention the game between 2nd and 3rd in our top league the day before or any other Scottish games from the weekend. 

Instead they had a report about a ‘fairytale’ story from a team in a country that doesn’t even border Scotland and was playing in the 5th tier of their league set up. 

What chance has the game got in this country if our own media isn’t mentioning it!

10 minutes ago, Dunfermline Don said:

Not so much Sportsound but BBC Radio Scotland sports report at 7.25 this morning didn’t even mention the game between 2nd and 3rd in our top league the day before or any other Scottish games from the weekend. 

Instead they had a report about a ‘fairytale’ story from a team in a country that doesn’t even border Scotland and was playing in the 5th tier of their league set up. 

What chance has the game got in this country if our own media isn’t mentioning it!

Couple Of Lying Wee p***ks Albion IMO.

10 hours ago, Dunfermline Don said:

Glad you've posted that in here too.

I came in to do it myself if you hadn't.

I'm still mad about this across two threads.  It honestly was utterly ludicrous.  I sort of couldn't believe how much time they gave it, conducting a lengthy interview with someone.

I assumed they'd then turn to the domestic game here, but no. Wrexham really did get the entire sport slot to themselves.  

I didn't think they could possibly have anyone other than Phil Goodlad covering sport, without it  automatically representing an improvement.  Somehow they managed it.

4 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Glad you've posted that in here too.

I came in to do it myself if you hadn't.

I'm still mad about this across two threads.  It honestly was utterly ludicrous.  I sort of couldn't believe how much time they gave it, conducting a lengthy interview with someone.

I assumed they'd then turn to the domestic game here, but no. Wrexham really did get the entire sport slot to themselves.  

I didn't think they could possibly have anyone other than Phil Goodlad covering sport, without it  automatically representing an improvement.  Somehow they managed it.

Someone mentioned on another thread that Wrexham on Sky next year probably means some Premiership games getting shafted

The bbc is going to eat itself in its efforts to stay relevant in the modern media landscape. 

They seem to have no idea how to combat it. The Wrexham thing will just be a reflection of the social media reaction instead of making sensible editorial decisions. 

Bbc breakfast as a ‘news’ programme is mind numbingly bad, the mess that sportsound is in is covered extensively here and the handling of the Gary Lineker stuff is an organisation that is just melting. 

It is a shame. 

17 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

The bbc is going to eat itself in its efforts to stay relevant in the modern media landscape. 

They seem to have no idea how to combat it. The Wrexham thing will just be a reflection of the social media reaction instead of making sensible editorial decisions. 

Bbc breakfast as a ‘news’ programme is mind numbingly bad, the mess that sportsound is in is covered extensively here and the handling of the Gary Lineker stuff is an organisation that is just melting. 

It is a shame. 

It's a terrible shame, but I agree entirely.

I don't know who they think their demographic is.

Not trying to turn this into a GMS thread, but in this morning's Thought for the Day, Paul Mitchell was going on about Wrexham too. 

I was slightly confused as to his point, but at least he was vaguely critical of the nonsense I think.  He drew parallels with Gretna, then biblical stuff about strong foundations and shifting sands.