Americans and their gun culture

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hitler agrees with you.

What turned young and witty though occasionally annoying L4L into this vigilante monster, or unfunny troll? Have you had something horrible happened and the police were useless, or part of it?

These things are terrible but fortunately uncommon. Why it's sensationalised in the UK it is beyond me.

Violent crime in far lower in the USA than it is in the UK and it has been proven by the US Department of Justice that firearm related homicides has decreased as gun ownership increased.

All gun control does it stop normal people from protecting themselves. People that want to kill someone don't need a gun.

Violent crime in far lower in the USA than it is in the UK and it has been proven by the US Department of Justice that firearm related homicides has decreased as gun ownership increased.

Source?

Without going back into this argument, I feel much safer in the fact the people like L4L & PB don't have easy access to guns for protection. I'd suggest they buy some armour to alleviate their fear of attack. Not body armour, a full on suit of plate-mail. Nae c**t attacks a knight.

Are you saying guns aren't designed to kill?

These are default arguments that have been long discredited, but are continually used by gun control advocates. Often as the result of living in an urbanized environment and having no experience of owning or using a gun, or knowing anyone who has. A gun is merely a tool, and people shouldn't dismiss the times it does save lives. Like in the case recently linked in this topic. For example if people are allowed concealed carry, any mugger would think twice before attempting to rob someone. On the basis they may be armed.

These are default arguments that have been long discredited, but are continually used by gun control advocates. Often as the result of living in an urbanized environment and having no experience of owning or using a gun, or knowing anyone who has. A gun is merely a tool, and people shouldn't dismiss the times it does save lives. Like in the case recently linked in this topic. For example if people are allowed concealed carry, any mugger would think twice before attempting to rob someone. On the basis they may be armed.

I'd rather be mugged/robbed etc than shoot someone and potentially kill them.

Hardly an answer, and the inference is that all muggers should make sure to carry a gun.

P.S. What is it with loopy left wing conspiracy theorists who believe everything they watch on Russia Today, and their ties with gun toting right wing jew/black/muslim hating rabble rousers in the states? I sniff a conspiracy.

Are you saying that because I live in an "urbanized environment" that I don't know what a gun is or can do?

I've never flown or known anyone who's flown a fighter jet but I'm pretty sure it's main job is to inflict damage.

Are you saying that because I live in an "urbanized environment" that I don't know what a gun is or can do?

I've never flown or known anyone who's flown a fighter jet but I'm pretty sure it's main job is to inflict damage.

Nah the gun on that is merely a tool.

While decrying "Americans" in general for their "Gun Culture" it's worth remembering that Ted Nugent doesn't speak for the whole country.

http://www.pollingreport.com/guns.htm

Polls vary over time but support for stricter gun control in general seems to remain around the same level as opposition amongst the US population.

When asked about more specific forms of Gun Control (background checks, mental health) as opposed to "gun control" as an abstract concept support tends to be overwhelming.

Long since discredited? By the NRA maybe.

A hammer is 'merely a tool'. It has a positive purpose in life - although in certain circumstances it could be used to kill or maim.

A gun is a weapon. Its main purpose is to kill and maim - although in certain circumstances could be used in a positive way.

Gun ownership in the USA has decreased steadily over the last 40 years

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/03/10/us/rate-of-gun-ownership-is-down-survey-shows.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Fotbawmad, P45 and L4L are just dying to have a chance to feel like Clint Eastwood and using absurd and completely discredited ideas to try and justify their childish fantasies of shooting baddies

One has to wonder whether they've ever had firearms certificate applications knocked back.

Fotbawmad, P45 and L4L are just dying to have a chance to feel like Clint Eastwood and using absurd and completely discredited ideas to try and justify their childish fantasies of shooting baddies

That's one of those "guns are evil" arguments. Where someone holding a gun suddenly turns into a crazy madman who wants go out onto the streets and shoot people at random. To make it clear I've never owned a gun or plan to own one, because my personal circumstances don't justify it. However, I have used guns and known people who own them. I can understand why people would want or need to own a gun. Its not right to force pre-conceived notions on them as much as when it comes to smoking cannabis. Also, if I had that fantasy you allege then I would get my kicks by playing Grand Theft Auto or State of Emergency, but I've never been a fan of those types of games.

That's one of those "guns are evil" arguments. Where someone holding a gun suddenly turns into a crazy madman who wants go out onto the streets and shoot people at random. To make it clear I've never owned a gun or plan to own one, because my personal circumstances don't justify it. However, I have used guns and known people who own them. I can understand why people would want or need to own a gun. Its not right to force pre-conceived notions on them as much as when it comes to smoking cannabis. Also, if I had that fantasy you allege then I would get my kicks by playing Grand Theft Auto or State of Emergency, but I've never been a fan of those types of games.

Why would anyone want or need to own a gun? Your post suggests some gut instinct.

Also, why is it not right to force preconceived notions on people or society, if those notions would drastically cut the number of innocent deaths? That's what governments do.

Archived