Americans and their gun culture

I have machetes, combat knives, trench hawks, hammers etc. and I have perhaps the most deadly weapon in my home, an automobile. I'm laughably far from small (197cm) and I'm not weak, I'm very fit physically and could probably go on for hours.

f0uxlurl1ej2ugefl8l5.jpeg

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You said they were an issue in response to another "issue" being rendered obsolete.

It's not akin to that at all, that's a terrible analogy. Banning guns because they cause accidental death is like banning cars because they do so (cars cause purposeful death as well, btw).

Guns causing accidental death is irrelevant when it comes to prohibiting them, safety measures are brought in and regulation addresses the issue with accidents just like with any other product.

But you're dealing in pointless absolutes. The car issue is nothing more interesting than a trade-off in practicality; we have established that cars are necessary for people to get around, and therefore society accepts that unfortunately sometimes accidents happen.

In America, currently, there is general acceptance that the collateral damage from guns is acceptable within the context that society values the right to bear arms.

This is not a paradigm that has been accepted in the UK, and I doubt your argument is changing any minds. We don't have the same cultural background as the US, and we don't have a society that is pushing for gun ownership.

All that said, your comparison with cars is an amusing one, as over time we have gone through countless processes to try to mitigate the damage cars can do: traffic laws, age restrictions, seatbelts, speed limits, drink-driving legislation, not being allowed to drive while using a phone, etc., etc.

The US pro-gun lobby would go batshit crazy if remotely the same degree of legislation was applied to the way people could own guns, so actually if you want to draw comparisons with cars you should in fact be thinking that there should be many more restrictions on the use and handling of guns in America.

Even the most basic bit of research on Czech Republic's gun law bring up the fact that their system is abolutely nothing like America's and that the number of licensed gun owners is about 3% of the population.

I know we all haven't studied this as extensively as this guy but I think it's fair to say he hasn't put much effort into it either.

Maybe so, but firearms were originally designed for an advantage in warfare i.e. killing/maiming people

Knives were originally intended for stabbing and piercing other humans who were too strong to take down through brute strength. Back when we were utterly dominated by the strongest in the group and at their mercy. Then knives came along and it became the best person with a knife, finally we had ranged weapons and eventually firearms.

Firearms are an evolution, as Joseph said they truly do level the playing field more so than any other type of tool.

Even the most basic bit of research on Czech Republic's gun law bring up the fact that their system is abolutely nothing like America's and that the number of licensed gun owners is about 3% of the population.

I know we all haven't studied studied this as extensively as this guy but I think it's fair to say he hasn't put much effort into it either.

Their gun laws are extremely liberal. They are not as liberal as certain states in the US, there are some restrictions. You need a permit and to undergo a training course beforehand, which is perfectly reasonable I agree AS LONG AS the police are absolutely honest in handing out licenses to people who have rightfully earned them.

You can carry guns in public, you can carry weapons in public. You absolutely have the right to defend yourself with lethal force when attacked both in theory and practice.

We know in this country you often are refused license even if you meet the insanely strict requirements.

Continue your research.

I have machetes, combat knives, trench hawks, hammers etc. and I have perhaps the most deadly weapon in my home, an automobile. I'm laughably far from small (197cm) and I'm not weak, I'm very fit physically and could probably go on for hours.

But you don't need to go on for hours to kill one person, or exert much force to stab someone/multiple people in the throat with a small blade that is large enough to puncture a vital artery and kill you fairly quickly (assming you don't stab multiple times).

As I said with a car if you speed into a crowded narrow street filled with people you would take out around 50 easy, assuming you stopped and didn't keep going afterwards hitting more.

Fat-guy-50666954713.jpg

The chance of being targeted by a criminal with a gun increases with the availablilty of guns.

The availability of black market guns is negligibly affected by disarmament laws.

Go to a city like Liverpool and London and you'll find guns, if people have need for them in the UK they absolutely can get them.

Yeah, you anti-gun nuts might be a little surprised by this list.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_guns_per_capita_by_country#List_of_countries_by_number_of_guns_per_capita

The chance of being able to defend yourself with a gun increases a lot more.

You're not Billy The Kid. If someone walks up to you with a pistol and demands your wallet, you won't be able to draw your own before he plugs you. Stop wanking to cowboy films.

Knives were originally intended for stabbing and piercing other humans who were too strong to take down through brute strength. Back when we were utterly dominated by the strongest in the group and at their mercy. Then knives came along and it became the best person with a knife, finally we had ranged weapons and eventually firearms.

Firearms are an evolution, as Joseph said they truly do level the playing field more so than any other type of tool.

I use a knife on a daily basis as I need to cut things. I don't have any need to shoot a gun whatsoever, it's a major difference.

You're not Billy The Kid. If someone walks up to you with a pistol and demands your wallet, you won't be able to draw your own before he plugs you. Stop wanking to cowboy films.

A) Harder for them to obtain a gun, given they likely have a criminal record and that guns are fairly fucking costly as is ammo and upkeep

B) You could indeed, it would be difficult but I would suggest attempting to shoot them at a point when they're disturbed or their gun isn't pointed at you. If you're quick and well trained it's more than possible.

A) Harder for them to obtain a gun, given they likely have a criminal record and that guns are fairly fucking costly as is ammo and upkeep

B) You could indeed, it would be difficult but I would suggest attempting to shoot them at a point when they're disturbed or their gun isn't pointed at you. If you're quick and well trained it's more than possible.

STOP WANKING TO COWBOY FILMS. Put your cock away, clean yourself up and bugger off.

Their gun laws are extremely liberal. They are not as liberal as certain states in the US, there are some restrictions. You need a permit and to undergo a training course beforehand, which is perfectly reasonable I agree AS LONG AS the police are absolutely honest in handing out licenses to people who have rightfully earned them.

You can carry guns in public, you can carry weapons in public. You absolutely have the right to defend yourself with lethal force when attacked both in theory and practice.

We know in this country you often are refused license even if you meet the insanely strict requirements.

Continue your research.

I will, please guide me towards enlightenment.

Pray tell, where can I read up on completely unreliable anecdotal evidence that Czech Republic's stringent licensing system is liberal but that people in this country "often are refused license even if you meet the insanely strict requirements"?

Disclaimer from me first, I don't want any official data or anything like that from faggy academics or the tyrant state. I only want to read a bunch of internet Rambos greeting about it without any evidene.

Thanks brah.

I use a knife on a daily basis as I need to cut things. I don't have any need to shoot a gun whatsoever, it's a major difference.

Oh well if you don't have a need or desire for it nobody does, I guess. We should of course be limited solely to being able to own things we NEED to survive. Anything remotely luxurious that COULD be used to cause deadly harm or death.. Illegal.

Well said, Comrade.

I will, please guide me towards enlightenment.

Pray tell, where can I read up on completely unreliable anecdotal evidence that Czech Republic's stringent licensing system is liberal but that people in this country "often are refused license even if you meet the insanely strict requirements"?

Disclaimer from me first, I don't want any official data or anything like that from faggy academics or the tyrant state. I only want to read a bunch of internet Rambos greeting about it without any evidene.

Thanks brah.

Can't use a search engine, no?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_the_Czech_Republic

"Hurr Durr, Wikipedia not reliable, even though I use it myself all the time to prove a point"

Like I said, starting point. Article is also heavily referenced, which makes it reliable.

Oh well if you don't have a need or desire for it nobody does, I guess. We should of course be limited solely to being able to own things we NEED to survive. Anything remotely luxurious that COULD be used to cause deadly harm or death.. Illegal.

Well said, Comrade.

You're arguing different things now. If guns had as practical a use as knives or cars do, then I'd be ok with them being less restricted. Obviously they don't. I feel at less risk knowing that your average nutter doesn't have easy access to a gun, than I would if they did.

Do you own any firearms now btw? You know it is not illegal to have a 'long' weapons, like a rifle or double shotgun.

You just aren't allowed automatics, pump action shotguns, or large calibre weapons under 35cm in length.

If you think you need more than that to defend yourself against the monsters inside your head, then you are even more a tool than first thought.

Have you been denied a firearms licence? If not, how no? You absolute bell.

Archived