Favourite Player Ever

MangoBroccoli

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the Rovers, Scott Chaplain: he first signed for us almost ten years ago, at 21, and over those two seasons set the heather on fire, unforgettably scoring 23 goals from midfield in the 2006/07 season and winning the division's Player Of The Year award.

He earned his two seasons in full-time football, after which his old boss Jim Chapman signed him for Dumbarton, but his legendary status has only ever existed at Cliftonhill. On his return, in 2011, he was an instrumental part of the most successful Rovers team of my lifetime so far- the squad who, on one of the lowest wage budgets in Scotland, achieved promotion and against-all-odds survival. When he came back last season he was our top scorer, and his quality and experience was crucial in our unbelievable cup run, which included two of the biggest shock results in Rovers history.

In my 15 years watching the Rovers, Scott has been our greatest individual achiever, and an instrumental part of our best league and cup performances. A class act, gentleman and hero, is Chappy, and he always will be.

In world football, Zidane.

Ale Del Piero, Francesco Totti and Clarence Seedorf.

Saying Goodbye to Del Piero remains one of the saddest things I've ever read.

He was my first footballing hero. I had the pleasure of meeting the great man in Turin airport in 1996. The Juve team were heading out to play Fenerbahce (I think) in the champs league. Zidane eclipsed him a year or so later.

germania-italia_del_piero01gg.jpg

Think it all goes back to being a big fan of Italian football when I was younger, and when this guy was at his peak, he was just phenomenal. One of the reasons I was delighted with Italy winning the World Cup in 06, not that lifting a World Cup automatically makes you a great player, but for me a player of his calibre deserves one.

Special mentions goes to this guy too...

BdTd5QsIEAAspMd.jpg

Of players who I saw in the flesh on a regular basis, it has to be Davie Cooper. Rangers were awful in the early 80s but he was just mesmerising to watch and streets ahead of everyone around him. I remember one European game in particular where he ripped the Ilves Tampere defence to shreds time and again, setting a few goals up which were quite literally tap ins.

Archived