The Arbroath Thread

The last couple of games I moved to the McIntyre must go camp. What I need to see tomorrow is some structure and some tactics. That doesn’t need your best team, that’s coaching, principles and a plan. 
I want to be able to see what the plan is when we have the ball. If it’s hoof down the middle then while it’s horrible, it’s a plan. Given our quality, trying to force the opposition into mistakes is not the worst idea. Out of possession, who is doing what. Too often in recent games we have seen Ricky charge into midfield to cover the ball carrier. It rarely ends well. I also want to see a captain, demanding standards. As Nicky Low and Chris Hamilton did. Tam is a superb player but no leader.
In terms of a new appointment Goldie is a quality coach, but a name has popped up that would be ideal as either the boss or assistant. James Craigen is a very smart guy, and knows how not to treat people and get respect. He saw what DC was doing before anyone. 

He and Gold have been a successful partnership outside Gayfield and have all the contacts that airse claimed to 

9 hours ago, RedLichtie86 said:

One of the main reasons we have been so poor at the back is down to this.

Players either injured, playing with an injury, returning from an injury and not 100% fit or just not match fit.

Fans need to understand that sort of disruption to the back leads to poor performances and it probably wont be fixed until the summer.

Our best times in this league were with a solid back 4 that barely ever changed. No injuries or suspensions made for perfect cohesion and consistency at the back. This season has been the complete opposite.

I agree 100% the problems with the back 4 have been horrendous for multiple reasons. BUT!!!!! also we have played the whole season without any proper holding/defensive centre midfielders, this has also been a massive problem and needs to be addressed.

20 minutes ago, Hayshead2 said:

I agree 100% the problems with the back 4 have been horrendous for multiple reasons. BUT!!!!! also we have played the whole season without any proper holding/defensive centre midfielders, this has also been a massive problem and needs to be addressed.

This isn’t a new problem, this has been the case for the last 2 seasons, Campbell said this was the position Jacobs was signed to play, McIntyre did nothing about this either 

23 minutes ago, ecto said:

This isn’t a new problem, this has been the case for the last 2 seasons, Campbell said this was the position Jacobs was signed to play, McIntyre did nothing about this either 

McIntyre did try to address this issue by signing MacKinnon. But the options for bringing players in are always more limited in the January transfer window than in summer.

You have to remember that his main issue at the start of the window was getting bodies in as we were down to scraps. Brought in Walker (For the loss of Steele) and Murray (mainly for an extra man) at first. Followed by MacKinnon (DM issue) Robinson (Extra option up top with Hylton away and lack of bodies) and Delaney (No LB with Hammy at CB)

Squad at 24 players now with 2 more loans to come in Teale (due to more defensive injuries) and Reilly (better replacement for Hylton)

Squad at 26 now...... and no players willing to leave and club reluctant to sign more players due to rising costs. What is the manager ment to do?

4 hours ago, Godlovessmokedhaddock said:

The last couple of games I moved to the McIntyre must go camp. What I need to see tomorrow is some structure and some tactics. That doesn’t need your best team, that’s coaching, principles and a plan. 
I want to be able to see what the plan is when we have the ball. If it’s hoof down the middle then while it’s horrible, it’s a plan. Given our quality, trying to force the opposition into mistakes is not the worst idea. Out of possession, who is doing what. Too often in recent games we have seen Ricky charge into midfield to cover the ball carrier. It rarely ends well. I also want to see a captain, demanding standards. As Nicky Low and Chris Hamilton did. Tam is a superb player but no leader.
In terms of a new appointment Goldie is a quality coach, but a name has popped up that would be ideal as either the boss or assistant. James Craigen is a very smart guy, and knows how not to treat people and get respect. He saw what DC was doing before anyone. 

He and Gold have been a successful partnership outside Gayfield and have all the contacts that airse claimed to 

Agree as far too the goldie craigen situation. I just want to see JM play his chosen style nothing else then I’ll accept if he for us or not. Currently in the not for me camp. 

on the gold thing not for me. Very good player and coach but much rather just have him as a player. Caretaker yes but nothing more. Craigen the same. We should never have got rid of him one of Campbells many flaws. 

1 hour ago, RedLichtie86 said:

McIntyre did try to address this issue by signing MacKinnon. But the options for bringing players in are always more limited in the January transfer window than in summer.

You have to remember that his main issue at the start of the window was getting bodies in as we were down to scraps. Brought in Walker (For the loss of Steele) and Murray (mainly for an extra man) at first. Followed by MacKinnon (DM issue) Robinson (Extra option up top with Hylton away and lack of bodies) and Delaney (No LB with Hammy at CB)

Squad at 24 players now with 2 more loans to come in Teale (due to more defensive injuries) and Reilly (better replacement for Hylton)

Squad at 26 now...... and no players willing to leave and club reluctant to sign more players due to rising costs. What is the manager ment to do?

McKinnon was never an option for this role 😂😂😂 he’s an attacking minded midfielder 

On 31/03/2024 at 14:23, timlichtie said:

Thanks for that. Can you do the post match interview, please?

Nice to read some decent football chat on this page after some of the nonsense of late.

Another poster who doesn’t like other supporters opinions so calls it nonsense. 

10 hours ago, lichtiemike said:

That probably begs the question why McKinnon plays regularly ahead of someone like Slater when it’s such an obvious issue. 

A deal with Ross County that he has to play? I have no inside knowledge so just a suggestion 

2 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Does anyone know where these roadworks are and how bad they are?

Would be good if our own club would let its own supporters know. We don’t all live nearby. The recent roadworks were completely out of the blue and I nearly missed the start of the game. Certainly missed the liquid analgesic that our performances require 

13 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Does anyone know where these roadworks are and how bad they are?

Just as you are going under the railway bridge before Gayfield. New cycle lane that will take 77 weeks to complete. It’s going to cause havoc 

4 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Just as you are going under the railway bridge before Gayfield. New cycle lane that will take 77 weeks to complete. It’s going to cause havoc 

539 days to make an absolute mess of a perfectly good road 

£14 million well spent… fucking hell.

Edited by 1320Lichtie

31 minutes ago, Anotherlichtie said:

A deal with Ross County that he has to play? I have no inside knowledge so just a suggestion 

I thought we went through this with boruc last month :lol:

No club signs loan players and have to play them. This cannot be enforced.

1 minute ago, SimonLichtie said:

Yeah I think McIntyre just really loves MacKinnon - wouldn’t be surprised to see him sign on here next season when his deal with County ends.

Would not be completely against it he’s good for his age and got Montrose loan player of the season when he was at them. 

1 minute ago, Mr November said:

Ah ok, cheers!

I can’t imagine there being much of a turnout tonight at all so I wouldn’t worry about it too much - weathers as miserable as what’s been happening on the park 

2 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Ah ok, cheers!

I have to walk past it to pick up my son from nursery so can give you a better idea of delays etc about 4.30pm 

13 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

I know that we can’t enforce it but I seem to remember that when we played Robbie Mutch (on loan from Aberdeen) we didn’t pay his wages. Or maybe only paid a quarter. If he was dropped we had to pay it.