The Arbroath Thread

29 minutes ago, Housecaptain said:

Hope that the Club I have supported since the late 1940s is not about to be brought down by cronyism. God forbid. 

Don't torment yourself.  I still honestly believe we're a well run  club with some decent human beings at the heart of the club. 

OK, the past 2 seasons have been horrendous, the previous manager was found out as an ego on legs, and should have have been punted ages before he was.

Don't give up faith my fellow old friend. Just remember big Stirry, Mr James Jack, Andy Penman, Jimmy Bone. They come,  they  go, but we're still here.......

2 hours ago, DUAFC said:

Just get in Stewart Petrie in the summer, it's actually that simple  !!!

Regrettably, I think we missed the Petrie window last summer.  Now its no longer a step up to the biggest part time team in the league, its a sideways move to a fellow league 1 team.

9 hours ago, Blablabla said:

I take it Booner has left his position? Going by the dude in the suit repairing divots on the pitch at half time, am I right in assuming this? 

Away at end of the season, is what he said at Ricky’s dinner. 

Edited by lichtiemike

1 hour ago, DUAFC said:

HeraldSchumacher posted yesterday afternoon comparing Jim McIntyre with a child mass murderer. It was properly removed by the Moderator. 

Reckon it's the same guy.

Jeezo, some weird folks out there 🫣

Edited by Blablabla

Watched the highlights this morning. 

1st goal was a great hit. Stewart inches away from getting the ball but misses. Defending just not good enough with players quite static.

2nd goal. Great freekick. Gaston unlucky. Its just one of those shots that was hit with enough power and curl that it squeezes in.

3rd goal. Dunfermline player doesnt waste much time whipping the ball back into the box, Gold just not quick enough to close him down and caught out by the quick hit. Dunfermline had done something similar on the 30 min mark which we were lucky to clear. Ball whipped in with pace and dip that is very hard to judge as its behind the defence and dipping too quick for keeper to come and rush for.

Those 3 goals killed the game for us. We did threaten in the first half and the game was closer than the scoreline suggested.

Tactically we were setup 4-4-1-1 which was probably right. We could have went with Bird up top, McIntosh on the wing (R or L) and put Stewart to RB in place of Walker. But would have left practically nothing on the bench to come on to change things.

To me McKenna was a mixed bag. Not as much drive and touch was poor at times and corners were good and bad in the first half. A lot better in the 2nd half with the corners leading to the 2 goals. Now to him coming off....... and fans not happy.

At that moment Gold had to come off injured with Slater set come on. Its 3-2 and fans have been moaning to get 2 up top. Now McIntyre could just make the 1 sub or bring on the extra attacker aswell. Will have to change the formation to accomodate going 2 up top so someone has to go off. Fans saying it should have been MacKinnon off but Jim would have been reluctant to replace both CM players with Slater on and McKenna dropping back. MacKinnon would have been training and instructed to know what to do in that role.

So going from 4-4-1-1 to 4-4-2 was much simpler by replacing McKenna and Gold with Bird and Slater. Keeps better continuity in the midfield but adding more firepower up top and Slater could take the set pieces (I know, not as good). Leaving Jim 1 more time to make 2 more subs if needed (Later Dow for Stowe). Purely a tactical change. If Gold had not come off injured MacKinnon for Bird and McKenna dropping back to CM might have happened.

In the end we left too much to do in the 2nd half. Dont think for the most part the tactics or subs were wrong either.

Just thinking out loud here....

When we go to League One, this thread will transfer to that forum. If opposing fans asked us what our style of play was under McIntyre, how would you answer?

I honestly struggle to answer that. Yet, I could have answered it 5 years ago under Campbell. I could have answered it (almost) 10 years ago under Moore, I could have answered it (almost) 15 years ago under Sheerin and I could have answered it near 20 years ago under JMcG.

Now? I'm stumped.

12 hours ago, Housecaptain said:

Does anyone on here think McIntyre will walk of his own volition at the end of the season if things don't improve? 

Heard yesterday if he’s sacked, he will only get two months wages, so he probably won’t walk, but doesn’t seem to be to large a cost to bin him

3 minutes ago, ecto said:

Heard yesterday if he’s sacked, he will only get two months wages, so he probably won’t walk, but doesn’t seem to be to large a cost to bin him

Do it now.

Give it Goldy til the end of the season.

11 minutes ago, Lichtielegend said:

Do it now.

Give it Goldy til the end of the season.

A dream management team of Linn, Swankie and Goldy. Would at least give the place a lift 

Dunno if people are taking the piss but there’s a wee bit of something in my head that makes Gold feel like a no bad shout. Seen it quite a lot now and teams have done ok or very well in Airdries cass. I’d be much more confident of Scotty Stewart and McKenna signing on and others. I’m not expecting amazing things next season it’s going to be a rebuilding job - I think he’d maybe do quite well and have the backing of the whole club and the fans and the pressure wouldn’t come too quickly either if things weren’t the best like it maybe would be with someone else.

1 minute ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Dunno if people are taking the piss but there’s a wee bit of something in my head that makes Gold feel like a no bad shout. Seen it quite a lot now and teams have done ok or very well in Airdries cass. I’d be much more confident of Scotty Stewart and McKenna signing on and others. I’m not expecting amazing things next season it’s going to be a rebuilding job - I think he’d maybe do quite well and have the backing of the whole club and the fans and the pressure wouldn’t come too quickly either if things weren’t the best like it maybe would be with someone else.

It’s the feel good thing to do, we are doomed, let’s enjoy the last few games, Goldie and Swanks and Garden, to see the season out, if it’s only going to take two months wages to get rid of MacIntyre and Boyle, get this done

1 minute ago, ecto said:

It’s the feel good thing to do, we are doomed, let’s enjoy the last few games, Goldie and Swanks and Garden, to see the season out, if it’s only going to take two months wages to get rid of MacIntyre and Boyle, get this done

I would want to give him an actual shot at it though. McCabe at Airdrie. Andy Graham at Alloa. Michael Tidser at Kelty. Peter Murphy at Annan. Jordon Brown at Peterhead. 

It’s happened quite a lot recently and on the whole from the above they have all done pretty well 

1 minute ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I would want to give him an actual shot at it though. McCabe at Airdrie. Andy Graham at Alloa. Michael Tidser at Kelty. Peter Murphy at Annan. Jordon Brown at Peterhead. 

It’s happened quite a lot recently and on the whole from the above they have all done pretty well 

This depends on whether Goldie has the time, due to his other commitments, although being our manager is a part time post, technically, in reality it isn’t 

Without trying to come across as patronising,  if yous do go down it'll be a shame. I've done Arbroath as an away day a few times during your time and it's just great. Tons of good pubs, lovely ground and good pies. 

Yesterday was my first time up since Peter Grants last game, and either I didn't notice (Was doing a pub crawl of Arbroath that day to see if we could do all of them in one day), or it's happened since but the improvements to the ground are lovely. Seen the new turnstiles at the home end and the new wall? Really makes it looks allot more professional, if it's any consolation you can at least look back at this stay in the Championship as a long one, with a few great seasons and one which enabled you to do some improvements to the stadium and infrastructure. Offer that to any part time side and they'd take that IMO. Hopefully the improvements mean that your stay in league one will be brief. 

On another note does anyone have an email for someone at the club with regards to programmes? Yesterday was my sons first game but I came in a bit late and couldn't see any for sale. 

Seeing as we’re pretty much down, I see no reason why we can’t punt McIntyre and give Gold etc a chance for the rest of the season. If he fancies it that is.

Not sure if I would want to take a gamble on him or other players permanently though. A big job for a first gig. I would rather bring in someone with a good bit of experience and maybe have someone like Gold as player assistant. One for the future perhaps.

15 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Seeing as we’re pretty much down, I see no reason why we can’t punt McIntyre and give Gold etc a chance for the rest of the season. If he fancies it that is.

Not sure if I would want to take a gamble on him or other players permanently though. A big job for a first gig. I would rather bring in someone with a good bit of experience and maybe have someone like Gold as player assistant. One for the future perhaps.

I am not sure it is. I mean we will be in L1 and if he got the job and could keep a core of the guys we’ve got now we should be perfectly ok in L1 next season, we will have the biggest PT budget in the country too. I wouldn’t expect an unbelievable season but I don’t think it would be a big gamble at all. All the above got their chance in L1 apart from Murphy and Brown. Imagine we’d said that about Sheerin.

If there was a sold experienced candidate out there then fine but I can think of absolutely nobody.

I also think he’s that well loved by the fans that we could go and sell 1400 season tickets for L1 again because people would want to back the guy

Edited by 1320Lichtie

9 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I am not sure it is. I mean we will be in L1 and if he got the job and could keep a core of the guys we’ve got now we should be perfectly ok in L1 next season, we will have the biggest PT budget in the country too. I wouldn’t expect an unbelievable season but I don’t think it would be a big gamble at all. All the above got their chance in L1 apart from Murphy and Brown. Imagine we’d said that about Sheerin.

If there was a sold experienced candidate out there then fine but I can think of absolutely nobody.

I also think he’s that well loved by the fans that we could go and sell 1400 season tickets for L1 again because people would want to back the guy

Perhaps if he had an experienced team around him.

Sheerin had experience as youth/reserve coach at Aberdeen before he came to us. We were also in L2, pre the threat of relegation so there was really nothing to lose.

I see next season as a consolidation season. I know it sounds negative but I’d be pretty happy with a safe mid table to playoff position come next May.  Obviously I want promotion and the title but a season without much drama would suit me just fine.

46 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

Without trying to come across as patronising,  if yous do go down it'll be a shame. I've done Arbroath as an away day a few times during your time and it's just great. Tons of good pubs, lovely ground and good pies. 

Yesterday was my first time up since Peter Grants last game, and either I didn't notice (Was doing a pub crawl of Arbroath that day to see if we could do all of them in one day), or it's happened since but the improvements to the ground are lovely. Seen the new turnstiles at the home end and the new wall? Really makes it looks allot more professional, if it's any consolation you can at least look back at this stay in the Championship as a long one, with a few great seasons and one which enabled you to do some improvements to the stadium and infrastructure. Offer that to any part time side and they'd take that IMO. Hopefully the improvements mean that your stay in league one will be brief. 

On another note does anyone have an email for someone at the club with regards to programmes? Yesterday was my sons first game but I came in a bit late and couldn't see any for sale. 

You could try office@ arbroathfc.co.uk.