The Arbroath Thread

17 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Perhaps if he had an experienced team around him.

Sheerin had experience as youth/reserve coach at Aberdeen before he came to us. We were also in L2, pre the threat of relegation so there was really nothing to lose.

I see next season as a consolidation season. I know it sounds negative but I’d be pretty happy with a safe mid table to playoff position come next May.  Obviously I want promotion and the title but a season without much drama would suit me just fine.

I think it was the St Johnstone youth team that Sheerin coached before moving to Gayfield. 

If we want an experienced Manager we would just be as well giving McIntyre the chance as he hasn't really had the best circumstances so far. 

Every management decision has a risk to it though but I wouldn't be against an experienced player taking over.

19 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Offer Scott Stewart an incredible contract - please 

I’ve heard he’s already been asked by Mcintyre what his plans are for the next year. Seems a deal is being worked on at the minute. 

Think yesterday was massively papering over the cracks. Not too much to be said about the team or subs by Mcintyre but would’ve liked a bit more ambition with the starting 11 rather than just 1 striker. Bird looked lively when he came on and caused them some problems. Think hooking mikey was the right decision just unfortunate timing after the 2 goals. Feel for ToB as obviously not 100%. 

McKenna struggled a bit first half but was growing into the game and a player that can make things happen so I would have kept him on. Realistically we needed another 2 goals as a draw is not enough at this stage. We had them on the ropes a bit so I would probably have twisted and taken Walker off for Bird and gone for broke a bit. It's easy to manage from the terracing though and I can understand the changes that were made.

Edited by Hammerafc

37 minutes ago, Hammerafc said:

I think it was the St Johnstone youth team that Sheerin coached before moving to Gayfield. 

If we want an experienced Manager we would just be as well giving McIntyre the chance as he hasn't really had the best circumstances so far. 

Every management decision has a risk to it though but I wouldn't be against an experienced player taking over.

Yeah, you’re right it was St Johnstone, he went to Aberdeen after us.

Edited by Tattie36

5 hours ago, RedLichtie86 said:

Watched the highlights this morning. 

1st goal was a great hit. Stewart inches away from getting the ball but misses. Defending just not good enough with players quite static.

2nd goal. Great freekick. Gaston unlucky. Its just one of those shots that was hit with enough power and curl that it squeezes in.

3rd goal. Dunfermline player doesnt waste much time whipping the ball back into the box, Gold just not quick enough to close him down and caught out by the quick hit. Dunfermline had done something similar on the 30 min mark which we were lucky to clear. Ball whipped in with pace and dip that is very hard to judge as its behind the defence and dipping too quick for keeper to come and rush for.

Those 3 goals killed the game for us. We did threaten in the first half and the game was closer than the scoreline suggested.

Tactically we were setup 4-4-1-1 which was probably right. We could have went with Bird up top, McIntosh on the wing (R or L) and put Stewart to RB in place of Walker. But would have left practically nothing on the bench to come on to change things.

To me McKenna was a mixed bag. Not as much drive and touch was poor at times and corners were good and bad in the first half. A lot better in the 2nd half with the corners leading to the 2 goals. Now to him coming off....... and fans not happy.

At that moment Gold had to come off injured with Slater set come on. Its 3-2 and fans have been moaning to get 2 up top. Now McIntyre could just make the 1 sub or bring on the extra attacker aswell. Will have to change the formation to accomodate going 2 up top so someone has to go off. Fans saying it should have been MacKinnon off but Jim would have been reluctant to replace both CM players with Slater on and McKenna dropping back. MacKinnon would have been training and instructed to know what to do in that role.

So going from 4-4-1-1 to 4-4-2 was much simpler by replacing McKenna and Gold with Bird and Slater. Keeps better continuity in the midfield but adding more firepower up top and Slater could take the set pieces (I know, not as good). Leaving Jim 1 more time to make 2 more subs if needed (Later Dow for Stowe). Purely a tactical change. If Gold had not come off injured MacKinnon for Bird and McKenna dropping back to CM might have happened.

In the end we left too much to do in the 2nd half. Dont think for the most part the tactics or subs were wrong either.

Thanks for that. Can you do the post match interview, please?

Nice to read some decent football chat on this page after some of the nonsense of late.

11 hours ago, RedLichtie86 said:

Watched the highlights this morning. 

1st goal was a great hit. Stewart inches away from getting the ball but misses. Defending just not good enough with players quite static.

2nd goal. Great freekick. Gaston unlucky. Its just one of those shots that was hit with enough power and curl that it squeezes in.

3rd goal. Dunfermline player doesnt waste much time whipping the ball back into the box, Gold just not quick enough to close him down and caught out by the quick hit. Dunfermline had done something similar on the 30 min mark which we were lucky to clear. Ball whipped in with pace and dip that is very hard to judge as its behind the defence and dipping too quick for keeper to come and rush for.

Those 3 goals killed the game for us. We did threaten in the first half and the game was closer than the scoreline suggested.

Tactically we were setup 4-4-1-1 which was probably right. We could have went with Bird up top, McIntosh on the wing (R or L) and put Stewart to RB in place of Walker. But would have left practically nothing on the bench to come on to change things.

To me McKenna was a mixed bag. Not as much drive and touch was poor at times and corners were good and bad in the first half. A lot better in the 2nd half with the corners leading to the 2 goals. Now to him coming off....... and fans not happy.

At that moment Gold had to come off injured with Slater set come on. Its 3-2 and fans have been moaning to get 2 up top. Now McIntyre could just make the 1 sub or bring on the extra attacker aswell. Will have to change the formation to accomodate going 2 up top so someone has to go off. Fans saying it should have been MacKinnon off but Jim would have been reluctant to replace both CM players with Slater on and McKenna dropping back. MacKinnon would have been training and instructed to know what to do in that role.

So going from 4-4-1-1 to 4-4-2 was much simpler by replacing McKenna and Gold with Bird and Slater. Keeps better continuity in the midfield but adding more firepower up top and Slater could take the set pieces (I know, not as good). Leaving Jim 1 more time to make 2 more subs if needed (Later Dow for Stowe). Purely a tactical change. If Gold had not come off injured MacKinnon for Bird and McKenna dropping back to CM might have happened.

In the end we left too much to do in the 2nd half. Dont think for the most part the tactics or subs were wrong either.

Most of this is correct, but I disagree about the 2nd goal, thought Gaston was to far across his goal, the free kick was far enough out, for the ball to go over the wall and come down again, which it did

20 minutes ago, ecto said:

Most of this is correct, but I disagree about the 2nd goal, thought Gaston was to far across his goal, the free kick was far enough out, for the ball to go over the wall and come down again, which it did

Agreed a half step to his right and he would have got it but he is probably standing there to be able to see the ball with being obstructed by the wall.

Free kick is perfect. A lot of players would hit the wall or get nowhere on target.

I’d probably echo what 1320 has said about sticking with Mcintrye regardless, although I can’t really shake off how awful we have been defensively under him. Tue shambles he inherited went well beyond just lack of players and the changes that have been made might take some time to make a difference, it was quite obvious we were desperate for personnel in January, I’m not convinced these are players he would’ve been getting in if he had a choice. 

19 minutes ago, lichtiemike said:

I’d probably echo what 1320 has said about sticking with Mcintrye regardless, although I can’t really shake off how awful we have been defensively under him. Tue shambles he inherited went well beyond just lack of players and the changes that have been made might take some time to make a difference, it was quite obvious we were desperate for personnel in January, I’m not convinced these are players he would’ve been getting in if he had a choice. 

Agree that Jim McIntyre had very limited options and time to get bodies in during January. No great surprise that it turned out to be a mixed bag.

I seem to be in a minority in thinking that Gordon Walker has looked decent in recent games. A bit of pace, some decent passing. I think he’s signed for next season.

1 hour ago, lichtiemike said:

1 hour ago, timlichtie said:

Agree that Jim McIntyre had very limited options and time to get bodies in during January. No great surprise that it turned out to be a mixed bag.

I seem to be in a minority in thinking that Gordon Walker has looked decent in recent games. A bit of pace, some decent passing. I think he’s signed for next season.

I am not in any Jim must absolutely stay bandwagon I see the argument for changing it up too - I just think that if we are going to be making any changes then we should be doing it right now because whoever the manager is going to be next season needs to start working on next season yesterday it’s that important.

Trying to keep the players we want to keep and get players on board and ready for next season should be the priority right now, there is an extremely slim chance we manage to stay up but let’s face it it’s not happening. 

I think there were plenty of promising signs with McIntyre even up to the mental scenes in Kirkcaldy where Adams scored - but after that it has become absolutely farcical. Not seen anything like it at Arbroath or anywhere in the country really.

I remember really looking forward to the game at home to Ayr because I felt like it was all starting to come back together and boys were starting to come back and we could maybe kick on and within 7 minutes Delaney was off, then ToB (his injuries and form this season has been horrendous) and then Walker got stretchered off a minute after the second half restarted. 

Little, Steele and Hamilton also suffered serious injuries while McIntyre has been here and even Gaston has been in and out injured. There has been serious problems with every single one of the defenders at the club while McIntyre has been here and that’s not just the guys that were here already that’s been the case with the guys we signed to come in and cover for them. It has been a total shitshow.

Not even taking into account the fact that several other players in positions all over the park have been in and out with serious injuries. McKenna probably the most important one in terms of going forward. 

Woukd struggle to name players who have had no injuries to deal with since McIntyre has been here, there’s maybe been a handful? I’m not sure why it’s been this way either, you’d have to think that it’s purely bad luck but it’s been very strange.

I just think that if we want to be in a stable position come the start of August or whenever it is the league starts we need to decide what we are going to do right now and not 6/7/8 weeks down the line.

Signing Scott Stewart and Michael McKenna got to be the priority for us - I’d even go as far as saying Darren Lyon too but I love the guy and definitely biased when it comes to him but if we could have a solid group of 10 or whatever to build on then next season should be at a minimum decent. 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

3 minutes ago, afc_36_0 said:

Darren lyon is a strange one, a good experienced player who always looks decent wherever he plays but never gets much of a game. James craigen 2.0

I think next season he’d be great to just have sitting in midfield - he’s also a perfect squad player in the fact he can cover many positions. Just seems like a solid guy to have in the squad I’d like to see us try keep him for a couple of years. 

What's happened to Jess Norey. Is he gone or injured? Always thought he put in a good shift and would be a decent signing for next season. If these are not signed already, I would like Stewart, Mikey, Gats, McIntosh and Little resigned for a  Lg 1 campaign. Can't decide on Lyon, looks decent enough for Lg 1.

49 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I remember really looking forward to the game at home to Ayr because I felt like it was all starting to come back together and boys were starting to come back and we could maybe kick on and within 7 minutes Delaney was off, then ToB (his injuries and form this season has been horrendous) and then Walker got stretchered off a minute after the second half restarted. 

Little, Steele and Hamilton also suffered serious injuries while McIntyre has been here and even Gaston has been in and out injured. There has been serious problems with every single one of the defenders at the club while McIntyre has been here and that’s not just the guys that were here already that’s been the case with the guys we signed to come in and cover for them. It has been a total shitshow.

One of the main reasons we have been so poor at the back is down to this.

Players either injured, playing with an injury, returning from an injury and not 100% fit or just not match fit.

Fans need to understand that sort of disruption to the back leads to poor performances and it probably wont be fixed until the summer.

Our best times in this league were with a solid back 4 that barely ever changed. No injuries or suspensions made for perfect cohesion and consistency at the back. This season has been the complete opposite.

Bumped into Gaston after the game. Said he yet to start contract talks but is wanting to stay. Not ready to hang up the gloves yet as he has a few years left in him.

4 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

Bumped into Gaston after the game. Said he yet to start contract talks but is wanting to stay. Not ready to hang up the gloves yet as he has a few years left in him.

Let’s hope this is true then as will still be up there with the best keepers in League 1.

13 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

Our best times in this league were with a solid back 4 that barely ever changed. No injuries or suspensions made for perfect cohesion and consistency at the back. This season has been the complete opposite.

It also resulted in complacency.  Campbell never even bothered trying to sign people to compete for starting spots in defence (other than right back) for about 3 years, choosing to get defenders who would be happy to sit on the bench for 90% of the season. 

Liam Henderson might be an exception, but he was another that was lauded for his versatility and never really played in defence.

Edited by Lichtielegend

59 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

Hope so. His usually very high standards have definitely dropped this season but that’s down to injury and playing behind an underperforming defence.

I was just saying on Saturday that the goalkeeping situation is worrying for next season if he was to go so it’s great news if he stays, gets fully fit and has a good pre season.

4 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Let’s hope this is true then as will still be up there with the best keepers in League 1.

Derek with some of his home shirt sponsors on Saturday. Brilliant guy. Hope he stays.

IMG_6552.jpeg