The Arbroath Thread

21 minutes ago, afc_36_0 said:

Like carrick, I’d hope we have enquired about callum gallagher for airdrie. I believe he is part time there and has been banging them in on a regular basis. Im guessing he is happy being glasgow based and now that they’re in the same division it’s extremely unlikely he’d come to us now.

Callum Gallagher is a very good player the sort of signing Arbroath should have made last year or at least test Airdrie with an offer when they were in L1.

Just now, mo83 said:

Callum Gallagher is a very good player the sort of signing Arbroath should have made last year or at least test Airdrie with an offer when they were in L1.

Tbh I don’t expect us to get guys like Gallagher etc. Can see why he’d want to be at Airdrie over ourselves, similar to Hetherington.

I had just hoped we’d have 3 strikers at the club who had a proven record of being at the very minimum decent in League 1 or good in League 2. If we had to pay money for that then so be it. Would rather do that than take a bigger gamble on our Championship status. 

The thing is we had guys like that here too and while they maybe weren’t the answer they would still be preferable to the guys we’ve replaced them with. 

New signing is really a wild card signing - he appears to be able to play as a winger, midfielder and striker.

Management team will have their signing targets ( including potential loan players) - don't expect them to make the same mistakes as last summer.

A roll of the dice with one wild card signing could go either way.

Don't expect a repeat of last summer - lessons were learnt and noted.

We also have a good squad of players - still expect 2-3 more signings, followed by loan players in August.

Players like Carrick and Gallagher may well be happy at their clubs. Quite silly to say we could offer double the money, nobody knows what these guys are on, say they’re on 400-500 a week I wouldn’t see us paying these type of players double. 

Plus, if the reported fee for Hester (30k) then Stirling/Airdrie would be looking for 40k + you would think. 

30 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

Players like Carrick and Gallagher may well be happy at their clubs. Quite silly to say we could offer double the money, nobody knows what these guys are on, say they’re on 400-500 a week I wouldn’t see us paying these type of players double. 

Plus, if the reported fee for Hester (30k) then Stirling/Airdrie would be looking for 40k + you would think. 

What is the point in being the part time OF (going by our finances, league, and arrogant entitled fans) if we can't throw some money at our problems?

44 minutes ago, clashcityrocker said:

New signing is really a wild card signing - he appears to be able to play as a winger, midfielder and striker.

Management team will have their signing targets ( including potential loan players) - don't expect them to make the same mistakes as last summer.

A roll of the dice with one wild card signing could go either way.

Don't expect a repeat of last summer - lessons were learnt and noted.

We also have a good squad of players - still expect 2-3 more signings, followed by loan players in August.

In Turans interview he said we tried to get him last year but he’d already committed to a team in Germany… pretty ironic that we’ve said we won’t make the same mistakes as last year and then went and signed a wild card guy who we literally tried to get last year 🤔

42 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

What is the point in being the part time OF (going by our finances, league, and arrogant entitled fans) if we can't throw some money at our problems?

Do you ever read your posts before you press send?what the f**k are you even on about?

36 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

In Turans interview he said we tried to get him last year but he’d already committed to a team in Germany… pretty ironic that we’ve said we won’t make the same mistakes as last year and then went and signed a wild card guy who we literally tried to get last year 🤔

Are you ok?  Mr Positive has turned chief moaner on trialists. 

14 minutes ago, TheRoundO said:

Are you ok?  Mr Positive has turned chief moaner on trialists. 

I’ve never been Mr Positive and said from the very start that I didn’t think we should be taking on any trialists.

I just couldn’t be arsed with the we are doomed chat after 2 piss about pre season friendlies when it’s going to be a long hard season and that chats been non stop for the past 8 months. 

Honest to f**k. Lets give the guy a chance. If after a couple of months he is not good enough then feel free to moan about him then. But right now lets see what he can offer after he has integrated within the squad.

Guy has played 2 maybe 3 friendlies for us. Games that mean f**k all to us other than gaining match fitness.

11 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Shouldn’t be “throwing” money at anything, that never works. I get the frustration at signing what looks like another wild card but chucking cash at anyone and everyone is not the answer for me.

1 hour ago, Smokerson said:

Shouldn’t be “throwing” money at anything, that never works. I get the frustration at signing what looks like another wild card but chucking cash at anyone and everyone is not the answer for me.

Agree. Haven’t we already tried that with Scott Allan?

13 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

A few positives in an article about the guy from 2 years ago - funnily enough the manager in this thought he could fill in for a certain injured player called Kevin Van Veen - 

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/scunthorpe-united-kenan-dnnwald-turan-4481067?int_source=amp_continue_reading&int_medium=amp&int_campaign=continue_reading_button#amp-readmore-target

So clutching at straws the guy must have something. I have gotten all my vented frustration out (at Dick and Pink by the way not at the chap himself) and will judge him on a game by game basis going forward 

Didn't he barely play for Scunthorpe after that?

1 hour ago, Smokerson said:

How are we going to avoid any trialists and only sign the best part time players in Scotland then?

37 minutes ago, renton said:

Didn't he barely play for Scunthorpe after that?

Played 6 games and was by all accounts absolutely horrendous 😂

Saying to my mates that this clearly isn’t a Sellars signing. We tried to get him last year before Sellars was even involved. 

Wouldn’t throw money at anybody but paying transfer fees and a premium on players wages at the top end of the pitch is surely preferable to what we’ve been doing with all these jobbers. Also we are presumably paying for their accommodation and expenses if they’re moving into the town. These players aren’t coming cheap or am I missing something?

Edited by 1320Lichtie