The Arbroath Thread

Our support are a sensitive bunch

Or they just prefer people not spouting shite that makes the club look very bad all over the Internet when they have absolutely no idea whether it's true or not

Imagine that wasn't corrected, players/managers etc take a passing interest in reading these threads aswell as other fans. Makes us look very very bad saying things like that.

No idea why you'd want to just randomly spreading rumours about things that will hurt the club you support and make them look bad.

Or they just prefer people not spouting shite that makes the club look very bad all over the Internet when they have absolutely no idea whether it's true or not

Imagine that wasn't corrected, players/managers etc take a passing interest in reading these threads aswell as other fans. Makes us look very very bad saying things like that.

No idea why you'd want to just randomly spreading rumours about things that will hurt the club you support and make them look bad.

Or you can look at it this way. An Arbroath supporter posted that he heard Gomez wanted away because he was unhappy, Iv also heard he wants away due to a disagreement about some dental work so I have posted this in response. All this has been posted in an Arbroath FC thread on a forum that is used to discuss topics of football, politics, music and other miscellaneous subjects.
A sensitive few have overreacted and seem to take the internet to seriously

Someone said he was wanting away because he was unhappy at not playing.

You said the club had refused to pay for an injury he got when playing for us.

One of them makes the club look very bad and one of them doesn't. All im saying is that If you don't know you'd be better off just not saying instead of spreading false rumours that make the club look bad.

Anyway back to some good things, a week after the successful AFC Legends Dinner it was great to see the 4 Lichtie Legends being interviewed  and speaking so highly of the club and Sir Albert Henderson.

Eric Sellars and John Fletcher stay local but the amount of times you see Tommy Yule and Cammy Murray at functions at Gayfield is great remembering they are from the west coast, they all posed for pictures and spoke with the fans, they are all absolute gentlemen and long may things like this continue.

In Tommy's interview they asked what his saddest day in his career was and he said after 10 years at Gayfield he had to leave and was gutted, he played for Airdrie for 4 seasons after that. 

Think some folk need to get a grip. This is a forum where you will always have things posted that are not always accurate. Usually the correct version comes out so what's the big deal. Not as if it's getting reported on sky sports news or the national Press.

Things at this level DONT get reported in the national press. If anyone wants information on lower league clubs this is where they come. Rumours like that shouldn't be spread, it unfairly sheds the club in a really bad light.

How else are you supposed to find out if a rumour is true or not unless you ask? You mention you shouldn't spread false rumours but how do you know if they are false or not? If you take a rumour on an internet forum as gospel and the official line of the club you need to wake up. If everyone stopped posting things because they aren't 100% sure of the validity then what's the point.

How else are you supposed to find out if a rumour is true or not unless you ask? You mention you shouldn't spread false rumours but how do you know if they are false or not? If you take a rumour on an internet forum as gospel and the official line of the club you need to wake up. If everyone stopped posting things because they aren't 100% sure of the validity then what's the point.

There's plenty of ways you can ask the club about it without spreading it all over an internet message board.

They are 100 percent false.

And don't see the problem with rumours, about players being out, signings, whatever, no problem, but surely you can see the difference between them and saying the club did not pay to help an injured player.

People at the club are working their arses off and putting a power of good work in and the club comes away looking awful because of some bullshit rumours, how do you think they feel reading it. They'd be wondering what the point was.

One thing I would say is it surprises me that the club never wish to clarify these sort of things. A big part of the Gomes issue is similar to the Swankie deal - a lot of crap could be cut out right away if the club simply made a statement at the correct time regarding these things.

If we had properly announced the Swankie deal and what it entailed at the time there would have been far less of an issue with it. If we had at any point since the Alloa game released a statement regarding Ricky Gomes' ongoing concussion issue and even made a comment relating to dental work he had to get done/ he's on the mend now/ when roughly expected to be fully fit etc. it would have kept the fans in the loop and there would be a lot less speculation. Is Ricky Gomes fully fit? Has he been fit for the last month or so? Is he still suffering with symptoms of concussion?

I know the club/ management can't officially say a lot of things that are known by some of the support, however with some things (like the two mentioned above) I don't see why we can't let the fans know the situation. As it is, officially nothing has ever been said regarding why Gavin Swankie couldn't play a few weeks ago, and officially nothing has been said about Gomes fitness. This then leaves both situations open to heresay and rumour as there is no official line on either of them and there is only speculation and all of that could be nipped in the bud if Dick or the club had mentioned the situation to the press/ on social media.

While I feel the club/ management could handle these type of situations a wee bit better in terms of communicating the situation to the paying punters, I do think over the last year or two we have done some superb things off the pitch, and I feel the 'gap' between the board and the fans seems to be closing some what which is great to see, and some of the off the field stuff we've started doing is excellent. Far, far more positives than negatives both on and off the pitch currently; however that doesn't mean people can't make comment on the negatives and things they disagree with. We're all entitled to an opinion, and likewise we're all entitled to call other people out on their opinions - welcome to the internet.

Edited by SimonLichtie

To paraphrase Fleetwood Mac "Players only love you when they're playing", so no surprise that Ricky Gomes would be unhappy not getting a game, if he is indeed fully fit. But I would have thought it fairly standard that if a player playing in your position is  playing well you have to accept that he is not going to be dropped to accommodate you. I would be sorry to see Ricky leave the club under these circumstances and hope he stays and gets his place back should Hutton's form take a dip or should he be injured.

As for communication between club and supporters, I think there is still room for improvement. Supporters like to have a general idea of what is happening within the club and, as has been mentioned in other posts, really enjoy interaction with players and management at club functions. Better communication would reduce the rumours that appear on the internet and make supporters feel they are of some importance to the club.