The Arbroath Thread

3 hours ago, AFC360PUNK1320 said:

Hopefully we stay in the Championship and keep all out best established players, we are so lucky to have the likes of Gaston/T.O.B./Little and many others who are up to their standard.

If i had a choice to bring in 2 others who are part-time it would be Trouten from Alloa (albeit i had heard we tried to sign him in the past but he said at his age now he wanted a central belt club to save on travelling) and (and i know a lot of folk will be against this because of his off field antics in the past) David Goodwillie but again this probably will not happen because of the baggage he is labeled with plus i think he works for Clyde's Chairman's company.

C'Mon the Red Lichties, 36-0.

Agree re keeping our best players and I’m sure we will if we stay up.

Not sure about Trouten, past his best IMO and we certainly don’t need another one of those. Wouldn’t want Goodwillie anywhere near the club.

Need someone young and energetic with an eye for goal, unfortunately players like that are like hen’s teeth.

22 minutes ago, stan3600 said:

League 2 top scorer, age 25 is... Kane Hester. Hmmm.

That would be the same Kane Hester that is currently facing criminal charges for betting he would get booked in a match between Elgin & Hibs?

It looks pretty bad for him if he's found guilty. Will certainly be banned for a long time - if not for life

49 minutes ago, stan3600 said:

League 2 top scorer, age 25 is... Kane Hester. Hmmm.

Even if it wasn't for his off-field shenanigans, there is a huge gulf in class between League 2 and the Championship. I think League 2, possibly League 1, is his level unfortunately.

9 minutes ago, Lichtie78 said:

Seems to be a real dearth of goalscorers in the leagues just now, struggling to think of any realistic striker I’d take at Gayfield.

Massive problem at all levels of Scottish fitba and has been for a few years. Just look at the national side, when was the last time we had an out-and-out predatory goal-scorer, McCoist?

We need and I think we will keep all of our best players, but we need to make loan signings in forward areas a bigger priority. Get some dangerous attacking players in in these positions because in midfield and defence we are sorted. If we stay in the league I’d like Williamson back again. Don’t think we will have chance of Hamilton can see him getting a shot at Livi.

That would be the same Kane Hester that is currently facing criminal charges for betting he would get booked in a match between Elgin & Hibs?
It looks pretty bad for him if he's found guilty. Will certainly be banned for a long time - if not for life

As a matter of interest, did he get booked?

4 hours ago, ecto said:

If he is convicted he will probably be banned for life

Is it actually  a criminal case that he faces or  a Football Authorities investigation (SFA/SPFL) . I don't think it still possible for football authorities to ban players,  club officials,  etc,  sine-die,  I think it's got to be for a determined length if time,  maybe even 10 year max,  and that's usually in cases where extreme violent conduct is involved. There have been a few players in recent years  who have fallen foul of betting rules,  none of them got anywhere near that length of ban as far as I can recall, it's usually X number of games. 

Is it actually  a criminal case that he faces or  a Football Authorities investigation (SFA/SPFL) . I don't think it still possible for football authorities to ban players,  club officials,  etc,  sine-die,  I think it's got to be for a determined length if time,  maybe even 10 year max,  and that's usually in cases where extreme violent conduct is involved. There have been a few players in recent years  who have fallen foul of betting rules,  none of them got anywhere near that length of ban as far as I can recall, it's usually X number of games. 
It's a criminal case. If guilty it would likely be a bigger ban as it would go down the route of spot fixing rather than just a breach of betting rules for the Spfl. His biggest problem may be a custodial sentence although probably unlikely.

I couldn't see a life ban but could be a year.

2 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

It's a criminal case. Kane and 3 other Montrose residents are accused of two alternate charges.

The first charge appears to be that they conspired to engage in a fraudulent scheme. They placed 5 bets (totalling £3750) that Kane would get booked in the Elgin v Hibs game on 26/07/2019. He did get booked, and Bet365 paid out £17333.32 in winnings - a profit of £13583.32.

The alternative wording of the charge relates to cheating at gambling.

To my mind, it's a lot more serious than an Elgin player having a fiver on Man City winning the Champions League

Bad mistake from Kane if he gets punished I personally hope it’s not too badly. Definitely deserves some kind of ban or punishment though. 

Reading other teams threads and they’re on about their POTY’s. For me I think Ricky Little would probably get my vote as it stands. Although if Hamilton goes on and scores more important goals to keep us up there could be an argument for him maybe, even though he’s only been here 3 months? I’m not sure? But Ricky stands out for me. 

DC said In interview he will address the lack of goals in the simmer. Hopefully get a few exciting players in. I’d like to keep Low.