The Arbroath Thread

I really hope we do stay up. We have such a good strong core of players signed up that have plenty more years in them. Adding guys like Stewart and Craigen to this has been huge.

Maybe get Nicky Low in the summer and then I think we need to try and get another 1 or 2 in of a similar calibre to keep the group strong going forward. 

If we could just stay up, get Williamson back and then look to using our loans wisely in attacking areas I don’t see why we can’t continue staying in this league and building on what we have done already. 

Championship is a million times better than League 1. 

I really hope we do stay up. We have such a good strong core of players signed up that have plenty more years in them. Adding guys like Stewart and Craigen to this has been huge.

Maybe get Nicky Low in the summer and then I think we need to try and get another 1 or 2 in of a similar calibre to keep the group strong going forward. 

If we could just stay up, get Williamson back and then look to using our loans wisely in attacking areas I don’t see why we can’t continue staying in this league and building on what we have done already. 

Championship is a million times better than League 1. 

We would be a good shape whatever league we start in with the core group of players we have as you mention.

I really hope we do stay up as like many others I’m sure, I feel totally robbed of a season’s worth of decent Championship away days.

It’s massive for the profile of the club to stay in the championship so younger fans remain motivated to see us play as high a level as possible.

If we stay up, I reckon that would be Campbell’s biggest achievement with us given how we started the season, it must be said how difficult it must’ve been for us as a club plan for this season with so much unknowns right up to the last minute, I’d imagine it was difficult for us to recruit when we didn’t have much clarity with finances etc.

2 hours ago, lichtiekev said:

Start next week on same league position,
Didn't deserve to loose today,
Hopefully get the right result next week

Morton have to come and attempt to win on Friday night, should be an interesting night

A draw today wouldn’t have made much difference in the grand scheme of things apart from psychologically.

Win or draw on Friday night or Ayr lose away to ICT and were safe.

Play the way we have been the last few weeks and we should be ok, plenty of goals now too - 11 in 4.

On 23/04/2021 at 09:47, 1320Lichtie said:

Think it’s time to ditch your profile pic. Appreciate what Wighton did for us last season but he only played 5 games FFS. I think it would be more fitting to have any of our current team... even another loanee - Jack Hamilton who has done much more for us IMO, he’s certainly played more and scored more.

Never mind the fact that Wighton has scored goals against us this season which may ultimately see us relegated.

Does it nae feel a bit daft having a profile of a guy who scored two against us today and “won” a soft penalty?

1 hour ago, Tattie36 said:

Think it’s time to ditch your profile pic. Appreciate what Wighton did for us last season but he only played 5 games FFS. I think it would be more fitting to have any of our current team... even another loanee - Jack Hamilton who has done much more for us IMO, he’s certainly played more and scored more.

Never mind the fact that Wighton has scored goals against us this season which may ultimately see us relegated.

Does it nae feel a bit daft having a profile of a guy who scored two against us today and “won” a soft penalty?

No

eta: enjoyed watching Wighton so much even if it was only for a handful of games. The fact he scored the winner in a league game at Tannadice and I was there makes it even better. When will we see a league win as impressive as beating Dundee United away again? Best league win I’ve ever saw. Pic is staying and I am now a Craig Wighton fanboy.

Edited by 1320Lichtie

2 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

No

eta: enjoyed watching Wighton so much even if it was only for a handful of games. The fact he scored the winner in a league game at Tannadice and I was there makes it even better. When will we see a league win as impressive as beating Dundee United away again? Best league win I’ve ever saw. Pic is staying and I am now a Craig Wighton fanboy.

Fine, I respect your opinion and, as I said previously, I will always appreciate what he did for us last season, and would love to have had him back as I thought he was great in his all-too-brief stint... but,  to have a massive hard-on for a player who played FIVE games for us and scored three goals is a tad weird. He has scored the same amount of goals AGAINST US this season, goals that could ultimately see us relegated. I could turn a blind eye to say Bobby Linn or Stevie Doris scoring against us as they're de-facto Lichtie legends, but Wighton... a very brief loanee? Na.

Perhaps if we get relegated I can look out a profile pic of Simon Murray for when he bangs in a hat-trick for QP against us... sounds crazy doesn't it?

Edited by Tattie36

21 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Fine, I respect your opinion and, as I said previously, I will always appreciate what he did for us last season, and would love to have had him back as I thought he was great in his all-too-brief stint... but to have a massive hard-on for a player who played FIVE games for us and scored three goals is a tad weird. He has scored the same amount of goals AGAINST US this season, goals that could ultimately see us relegated. I could turn a blind eye to say Bobby Linn or Stevie Doris scoring against us as they're de-facto Lichtie legends, but Wighton... a very brief loanee? Na.

Perhaps if we get relegated I can look out a profile pic of Simon Murray for when he bangs in a hat-trick for QP against us... sounds crazy doesn't it?

No not really. I’m a Murray fanboy too. That Wighton goal was one of my favourite moments supporting Arbroath. To go to Tannadice in a league game, 7/8k in or whatever, and to win was absolutely unreal considering all the shit I’ve watched in the past. Getting pumped 4-0 in the pishing rain infront of 300 at Cliftonhill etc. Don’t care what he’s doing now, don’t like him scoring against us but hope he goes on to have a great career. 

1 minute ago, 1320Lichtie said:

No not really. I’m a Murray fanboy too. That Wighton goal was one of my favourite moments supporting Arbroath. To go to Tannadice in a league game, 7/8k in or whatever, and to win was absolutely unreal considering all the shit I’ve watched in the past. Getting pumped 4-0 in the pishing rain infront of 300 at Cliftonhill etc. Don’t care what he’s doing now, don’t like him scoring against us but hope he goes on to have a great career. 

I've been a supporter since the 70's and have seen all the dross too - standing on the terraces to watch us end up flat last in the senior setup... more than once. Celebrating like f**k just scoring a goal or winning a game, any game.

No doubt this is the best period in my time as a supporter and possibly in the club's entire history. Where we are now and the players we have compared to the 80's and most of the 90's is incredible.

This current squad and recent squads are/were full of shoe-in hall of famers, players that will go down in club history - Linn, Little, O'Brien, Hammy, Swankie, Doris, Falky etc. but, na, I'll have a profile pic of a guy who played FIVE games for us and has just today, scored two goals against us and bought a soft penalty.