All things Dundee FC

4 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Cup ties, but mainly the split.

I've asked several times and had no response. Does anyone know if the Dens pitch would have been playable last night, and if so, is there any justifiable reason for the SPFL's decision to ignore the open date of the 3rd of April, in favour of the 10th of April which left them no contingency in an already difficult fixture logjam?

No one except for the club would have known if they game could have been played last night but our track record this season any time it has dared to rain would suggest that it would have been unplayable. Which, again, would have provided more embarrassment to an already embarrassing situation.

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

The only explanation for avoiding last night seems to be avoiding "benefiting" an OF side before they meet at the weekend, which is embarrassing. 

Somehow i don't think this would have been a consideration had the original postponed fixture been due to take place at Ibrox, but Dundee had a game the following weekend while Rangers did not. It would have been scheduled for the earliest available date regardless.

Ok, the league's "investigation" has yet to return any conclusions, but if they try to censure Dundee then the club just need to ask why the match was rescheduled for the 10th and not the 3rd, and why the scheduling of Dundee Home fixtures appears to revolve around considerations that don't involve Dundee FC in the first place.

Edited by Boo Khaki

13 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

If the Motherwell game is postponed that's 5 this season isn't it?

My view is that the number of games postponed is largely irrelevant, because there’s very little that can be done mid-season to rectify the problems. 

12 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Cup ties, but mainly the split.

I've asked several times and had no response. Does anyone know if the Dens pitch would have been playable last night, and if so, is there any justifiable reason for the SPFL's decision to ignore the open date of the 3rd of April, in favour of the 10th of April which left them no contingency in an already difficult fixture logjam?

If it had been in a playable state last night then surely there wouldn't be any doubt about the game going ahead on Saturday? There clearly is doubt, which would suggest it wouldn't have been playable yesterday.

That's not altogether surprising given the weather yesterday was far, far worse than it was at the Rangers postponement. Today is clear and sunny which will help, but probably not enough to dry it out completely and given the rain forecast the next couple of days that suggests another big issue come Saturday.

10 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

The only explanation for avoiding last night seems to be avoiding "benefiting" an OF side before they meet at the weekend, which is embarrassing. 

Is it? What if Dundee also wanted it to be delayed a further week to allow more time for their pitch to potentially become playable? We don’t know, and Dundee don’t seem to have made any comment voicing their displeasure at them being given an extra week.

Is the question of suitability of facilities not a matter that is dictated and overseen by the SPFL in any case?

Again, I am not trying to absolve Dundee here for obvious problems with their own stadium, but if you are a governing body/body of oversight and you stipulate that your member clubs facilities must reach certain criterion, is it not ultimately your responsibility to monitor that and ensure compliance?

Even if this is a case of Dundee being less than transparent with knowledge of pre-existing problems, there is surely a question of  competence here with regard to the SPFL's own fitness.

5 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Somehow i don't think this would have been a consideration had the original postponed fixture been due to take place at Ibrox, but Dundee had a game the following weekend while Rangers did not. It would have been scheduled for the earliest available date regardless.

Ok, the league's "investigation" has yet to return any conclusions, but if they try to censure Dundee then the club just need to ask why the match was rescheduled for the 10th and not the 3rd, and why the scheduling of Dundee Home fixtures appears to revolve around considerations that don't involve Dundee FC in the first place.

There is not some underlying principle that matches have to be scheduled on the first available date. Most matches aren't.

3 minutes ago, AJF said:

Is it? What if Dundee also wanted it to be delayed a further week to allow more time for their pitch to potentially become playable? We don’t know, and Dundee don’t seem to have made any comment voicing their displeasure at them being given an extra week.

Given the pressures on completing fixtures before the split, it’s ridiculous that it wasn’t scheduled for last night. 

Sky had an empty schedule, so no issues there. Whereas next week they’re clashing with EFL games. 

The reason for it being next week is blindingly obvious. 

Edited by The Master

6 minutes ago, The Master said:

My view is that the number of games postponed is largely irrelevant, because there’s very little that can be done mid-season to rectify the problems. 

It's not irrelevant to the previous poster saying it was "the postponment of one or two fixtures" when it clearly isn't that at all.

Just now, craigkillie said:

There is not some underlying principle that matches have to be scheduled on the first available date. Most matches aren't.

No, but given the aforementioned pressures and time constaints of the impending split, it seems to me rather foolish to forego the possibilty of getting a match played on one date in favour of a later one which potentially, needlessly exacerbates those problems.

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

It's not irrelevant to the previous poster saying it was "the postponment of one or two fixtures" when it clearly isn't that at all.

It is one or two at this time of the season, which is what’s causing the problem - which was the overall point being made by that poster. 

My point was a more general observation in reply to the comment about the number of games. 

Just now, Boo Khaki said:

No, but given the aforementioned pressures and time constaints of the impending split, it seems to me rather foolish to forego the possibilty of getting a match played on one date in favour of a later one which potentially, needlessly exacerbates those problems.

It's the middle of April, expecting a game to be played on the scheduled date isn't unreasonable. We shouldn't be requiring contingencies which require leaving additional spare dates just in case.

If the game is off next week they could still play it the following midweek, it's not as though there's absolutely no space for it.

Just now, The Master said:

Given the pressures on completing fixtures before the split, it unfashionable that it wasn’t scheduled for last night. 

Sky had an empty schedule, so no issues there. Whereas next week they’re clashing with EFL games. 

The reason for it being next week is blindingly obvious. 

I think it would be reasonable to assume that the SPFL would’ve liaised with Dundee on the matter before determining which date the game was rearranged for. The fact that they’ve made no comment about it means we simply don’t know why the decision was made.

People can speculate of course, but as I said, how do we know that Dundee never requested more time to work on their pitch as it is clearly in a rather critical state.

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

I don't see what happened earlier in the season as being particularly relevant, because up to the point where the Rangers game was postponed Dundee were fully up to date with their fixtures. We don't have a backlog of five matches, we have a backlog of one, which was originally scheduled for just a few weeks ago. What might have happened back in November or whenever has had no material impact on the current pressing issue.

Seems pretty mental to me that we've responded with a statement that basically just stokes the fire if we are already planning on releasing more information later on today.

Our statement, whilst stating it's all just media speculation, doesn't tell us if it's accurate or not. There's no denial in it and the part that says we'll release more info this afternoon suggests that some form of discussions have been taking place whether it's moving stadium or not. Should have just waited until later on today to play our full hand on the matter.

14 minutes ago, AJF said:

It suits us to have the game rearranged for as late as possible with the amount of injuries we have at the moment. 

1 minute ago, Dee Bliss said:

It suits us to have the game rearranged for as late as possible with the amount of injuries we have at the moment. 

Injuries and to attempt to get our pitch in order. Clearly it was convenient for both clubs..

10 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Seems pretty mental to me that we've responded with a statement that basically just stokes the fire if we are already planning on releasing more information later on today.

Our statement, whilst stating it's all just media speculation, doesn't tell us if it's accurate or not. There's no denial in it and the part that says we'll release more info this afternoon suggests that some form of discussions have been taking place whether it's moving stadium or not. Should have just waited until later on today to play our full hand on the matter.

They’ve responded immediately to The Sun’s Twitter/X post to nip it in the bud. Can’t ask for anymore than that. Nice of the city council to provide us with the covers. Maybe the drainage problems on Dens Road has a bit of truth to it. 

They’ve done everything right on this occasion. If the covers went down any sooner than today then you run the risk of killing the grass underneath it. 

2 of the 4 games postponed were during 2 named storms when there were postponed games all over the country. 

Today’s later statement might be about something completely different. 

Edited by Dee Bliss