All things Dundee FC

1 hour ago, Dee Bliss said:

Could see that from over 100 yards away. 

The biggest worry was that whoever the VAR ref was, was trying to get him to change his decision for a couple of minutes. Took the ref seconds to see he’d made the correct decision. 

The irony is that had he given it, they'd have been looking for every reason not to.

As much as it went against my team this time, let VAR only be involved as an absolute last resort (ref hasn't seen or really isn't sure) or black and white decisions.

In a way, you could argue the big long VAR checked killed any chance for Saints as it knocked any momentum for those last few mins. 

1 hour ago, Dee Man said:

Screenshot_20240401_054231_Chrome.jpg

That just makes it absolutely fucking farcical that Greg Aitken sent the ref to the monitor.

He clearly doesn't know the rules.

As it was, I thought the ref was really good. I noted @PauloPerth saying he was in favour of us - care to point to any examples? Thought Sylla stuck his head into a few 50/50s and St Johnstone players tried to take his head off which led to St Johnstone fans not being happy but nothing egregious comes to mind.

1 hour ago, Theyellowbox said:

The irony is that had he given it, they'd have been looking for every reason not to.

As much as it went against my team this time, let VAR only be involved as an absolute last resort (ref hasn't seen or really isn't sure) or black and white decisions.

In a way, you could argue the big long VAR checked killed any chance for Saints as it knocked any momentum for those last few mins. 

100% this. 

I'm sure the wheels in motion for VAR were started when Frank Lampard scored a clear goal against Germany with the ball at least a yard over the line but play was allowed to continue. I remember Blatter coming out at the time and saying it was unacceptable and something had to be done. You wouldn't mind VAR being used for that, but not shite like marginal offsides or free-kicks in the build up to a goal 10 minutes before it was scored. 

I would just scrap it altogether. It's utter shite. 

6 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

That just makes it absolutely fucking farcical that Greg Aitken sent the ref to the monitor.

He clearly doesn't know the rules.

As it was, I thought the ref was really good. I noted @PauloPerth saying he was in favour of us - care to point to any examples? Thought Sylla stuck his head into a few 50/50s and St Johnstone players tried to take his head off which led to St Johnstone fans not being happy but nothing egregious comes to mind.

To be fair, the first one Sylla got for that was against Nicky Clark - his head was down about knee height and Clark didn’t actually touch him, but he gave an indirect free kick for high feet anyway. That was a bizarre decision especially if you saw it side on. The one where he booked Max was fair enough.

The only reason for VAR or get involved in the “goal” at the end would have been if the keeper had gone over the line before McGowan tried to head the ball, which it clearly hadn’t. Beyond that it’s obviously a foul and everyone in the stadium knew it. Same story at our goal - there was clearly no foul there or offside so what were they looking at?

As far as the McCracken on Sidibeh incident; that was actually on the Sky highlights and having seen it back it was a pretty brainless move by the keeper and if he’d had a penalty against him he couldn’t really have argued - he’s got the ball in his hands, has both feet on the ground, has stopped moving and just knees Sidibeh in the chest. I can’t imagine another scenario anywhere on the park where you can deliberately play the man and it not be a foul, especially when VAR is constantly wading in and giving penalties for totally unintentional and incidental contact. It was just a really weird and awkward incident all in.

VAR is a load of shite though.

Edited by Jamie_B

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

To be fair, the first one Sylla got for that was against Nicky Clark - his head was down about knee height and Clark didn’t actually touch him, but he gave an indirect free kick for high feet anyway. That was a bizarre decision especially if you saw it side on. The one where he booked Max was fair enough.

The only reason for VAR or get involved in the “goal” at the end would have been if the keeper had gone over the line before McGowan tried to head the ball, which it clearly hadn’t. Beyond that it’s obviously a foul and everyone in the stadium knew it. Same story at our goal - there was clearly no foul there or offside so what were they looking at?

As far as the McCracken on Sidibeh incident; that was actually on the Sky highlights and having seen it back it was a pretty brainless move by the keeper and if he’d had a penalty against him he couldn’t really have argued - he’s got the ball in his hands, has both feet on the ground, has stopped moving and just knees Sidibeh in the chest. I can’t imagine another scenario anywhere on the park where you can deliberately play the man and it not be a foul, especially when VAR is constantly wading in and giving penalties for totally unintentional and incidental contact. It was just a really weird and awkward incident all in.

VAR is a load of shite though.

They're just utterly desperate to find a reason to chop off goals. A sad state of affairs.

2 hours ago, Pens_Dark said:

They're just utterly desperate to find a reason to chop off goals. A sad state of affairs.

It does seem like that’s what they're doing, doesn’t it? Idiots seem to be saying to wait until we see if there’s anything, anything at all we can find.

2 hours ago, andrewh said:

It does seem like that’s what they're doing, doesn’t it? Idiots seem to be saying to wait until we see if there’s anything, anything at all we can find.

The topic has obviously been done to death on this forum now but it really does sap the energy from the game. I couldn't celebrate our second goal properly because of the sheer paranoia that they were going to find an excuse to rule it out. 

1 hour ago, Pens_Dark said:

The topic has obviously been done to death on this forum now but it really does sap the energy from the game. I couldn't celebrate our second goal properly because of the sheer paranoia that they were going to find an excuse to rule it out. 

It was the other way round with our first goal. I actually thought the referee had whistled for Mitov's handball. As Cameron's shot sailed into the goal I was seething that the rehadn't played the advantage. It was only when the other players piled on to Cameron that I twigged. Ian Snedden deserves credit for delaying the whistle.

3 minutes ago, rambling syd rumpo said:

It was the other way round with our first goal. I actually thought the referee had whistled for Mitov's handball. As Cameron's shot sailed into the goal I was seething that the rehadn't played the advantage. It was only when the other players piled on to Cameron that I twigged. Ian Snedden deserves credit for delaying the whistle.

I was exactly the same.  I think the handball was so blatant and then the ball seemed to spend so much time in the air with no defender getting anywhere near it so it just looked like the game had stopped.  It was only when I saw the ref give the goal that I thought "oh, brilliant!".

6 minutes ago, rambling syd rumpo said:

We had missed the goal because we got to the ground late but could hear the crowd cheering for the goal. It sounded pretty subdued so I had initially thought that it was St Johnstone that had scored - maybe it was just fans not knowing what had happened ha ha!

Yeah I thought they referee was pretty good to be honest. It felt like a referee who was taking control of making decisions in the game which can't be said too much nowadays.

31 minutes ago, Pens_Dark said:

Yeah I thought they referee was pretty good to be honest. It felt like a referee who was taking control of making decisions in the game which can't be said too much nowadays.

I pretty much agree. He did an excellent job letting play go on for a decent advantage to accrue allowing Cameron to sublimely lob the ball into the goal from 45 yards, although I still think it was a yellow for the Saints’ goalie. He didn’t get much wrong, although from where I was sitting in The West Stand, I thought McCracken was lucky that the ref let him away with a very unnecessary high knee. 
Despite the gibberish from Mc Fadden and Mcann there was absolutely no need to go to the VAR monitor at the end of the game and I was delighted to see that the ref said, “Bollox to you lot, foul. Where is the clear and obvious mistake in my decision you complete bunch of tossers!” 

2 hours ago, Pens_Dark said:

How do you think we felt.

Young, cult hero in the making, striker scores his first goal for the club with an overhead kick against our nearest rivals, and you can't celebrate for more than 10 seconds because you see the ref point straight at his ear and know there's a huge delay coming with you just waiting on them ruling it out.

33 minutes ago, Chateau Lafite said:

I pretty much agree. He did an excellent job letting play go on for a decent advantage to accrue allowing Cameron to sublimely lob the ball into the goal from 45 yards, although I still think it was a yellow for the Saints’ goalie. He didn’t get much wrong, although from where I was sitting in The West Stand, I thought McCracken was lucky that the ref let him away with a very unnecessary high knee. 
Despite the gibberish from Mc Fadden and Mcann there was absolutely no need to go to the VAR monitor at the end of the game and I was delighted to see that the ref said, “Bollox to you lot, foul. Where is the clear and obvious mistake in my decision you complete bunch of tossers!” 

Precisely! How many times has that actually happened this season - I reckon you could count on one hand the amount of times a ref has went to the screen and stuck with his decision. Only other time I can think of in a game that involved us was the Mulligan sending off against Kilmarnock.

1 hour ago, Pens_Dark said:

Precisely! How many times has that actually happened this season - I reckon you could count on one hand the amount of times a ref has went to the screen and stuck with his decision. Only other time I can think of in a game that involved us was the Mulligan sending off against Kilmarnock.

And that time it was a clear and obvious mistake, it was never a red card. 
Anyway, overall well done to Saturday’s ref.  

6 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

How do you think we felt.

Young, cult hero in the making, striker scores his first goal for the club with an overhead kick against our nearest rivals, and you can't celebrate for more than 10 seconds because you see the ref point straight at his ear and know there's a huge delay coming with you just waiting on them ruling it out.

No-one cares how you felt. 

11 minutes ago, rainbowrising said:

This week's forecast. Another game off? 

SmartSelect_20240402_074339_BBCWeather.thumb.jpg.1697a9e6cb8eae78e58dddc1689e45f3.jpg

Better let Rangers know.

15 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Better let Rangers know.

I’d prefer to wait until all their fans and board members are within a ba-hair of Dundee before saying anything to be honest.