All things Dundee FC

Hartley now deserves to be under real pressure. We should be comfortable but instead,thanks to his poor tactics, we're looking over our shoulder and could easily be dragged into a relegation fight. PH needs to be strong enough to make decisions for the good of our club but I don't think he has the bottle. Get rid of Harkins he's finished as a top 6 player. McPake is another who is toiling, good at blaming others but needs to worry about his own game more. Thomson is too injury prone and slows the game down too much. I fear nothing will change with PH in charge.

:lol: here, you, GTF.

Whilst I don't think PH's job should be under any sort of threat; I do agree with the fact that he has been incredibly tactically naive at times this season and doesn't appear (yet) to have learned his lesson.

What I would like to see is a 4-5-1 comprising:

Bain

McGinn Julen Konrad Holt/Irvine

McGowan Thompson low

Stewart Calder

Loy / hemmings / Healy

I can't pick between holt and Irvine, as both are prone to a mare and I live in hope that holty will come on to a game the more game time he gets.

Same up top, from what the Cowden boys have said; hemmings isn't suited to playing one up top, but I've no idea whether Loy or Healy is either.

No space for Harkins or Ross. I like both players but Harkins just doesn't do enough of the dirty graft; closing people down and niggling at them. He doesn't have the nous for it and ends up giving away too many fouls when he tries to play that type of game, he's better suited to a free role further up the pitch which is a luxury we can't afford when we have Stewart doing a similar type of thing.

Ross is neat and tidy but unless we have a LOT of possession he gets a bit lost in games.

Just my tuppence worth : )

Are yous safe yet ?

If we're not neither are you, seeing as we sit above you, with more points, and a substantially better goal difference

there will always be deluded c***s in every teams supporters. We are 7th in the top division and if we finished in said position then it would still be our 2nd best season in 10 years. Hartley has made some mistakes but he'll learn .

Will he learn though? He is making alarming mistakes week after week and doing nothing to inspire confidence that he is learning from them.

Anyone with basic football knowledge would know that a midfield of Ross and Harkins are gonna struggle.

We have been fucking brutal for weeks and he needs to sort this now and get back to basics and stop fucking about trying to be smart because he is now just making himself look stupid.

Sent from my iPhone using Pie & Bovril mobile app

Whats with the meltdowns like? We are a mid table team and thats where we are. Have folk got such a bad memory that they have forgotten about the times under Kernaghan and Rae? I will be happy to slowly build on things over the years. Hartley is one of the best young managers in Scottish football at the moment and I would not swap him for anyone at the moment. Yes he makes mistakes which is the reason he is not in charge of Real Madrid or Chelsea. Some folk just need to wise the f**k up.

Things could be worse, we could support the DABS!

I think a better loan signing would have been a 6ft plus big b*****d defensive midfielder, instead of Healy, although I like him, and it was good he got off the mark yesterday. But did we need another striker? Looking at the midgets in midfield and with Thomson always crocked, this would have been a better option, but hindsight is a great thing. In Hartley I trust.

What we really need is a midfield player who will boss other teams. From Hearts at Dens onwards we have been shown up as a exam lacking in bottle for the fight. Cally bullied us, Dunfemline bullied us the Fermers bullied us. We expect teams to sit back in awe as we pass the ball from side to side with little end product, but as soon as a hard tackle looks like disturbing our pretty patterns we fold. A bit of toughness to match the football then we will succeed. Oh for a Rafferty, Adamzchuk (?) or a Bomber or Cammy Fraser. A midfield general.

McGowan, Glorious or Thomson no longer cut it.

I think a better loan signing would have been a 6ft plus big b*****d defensive midfielder, instead of Healy, although I like him, and it was good he got off the mark yesterday. But did we need another striker? Looking at the midgets in midfield and with Thomson always crocked, this would have been a better option, but hindsight is a great thing. In Hartley I trust.

This.

Think we were maybe worried since we had a spell playing 3 guys up top and were picking from Stewart, Hemmings and Loy. When Loy got injured, we couldn't get Stewart into his free role and didn't really have much choice.

In midfield, we had a couple more options who we had Thomson, Low and McGowan who could play that role a bit and there was also the option of Harkins (which I think is a very bad idea but he's done it before). Think we just thought we'd get a way with it if we had a good attack but injuries in this area have destroyed the whole team as it throws our balance.

January should be spent looking at a proper ball winning midfielder with physical presence. Thomson may be leaving in the summer (and if he stays, it'll likely be on reduced wages and he'll play even less) and since it's a problem enough now, we need to be making moves (even if it's just to sniff around). English clubs will likely telling development players that they won't be getting their contract renewed so there is maybe the chance that we'll be able to fund a loan move for someone with a view of taking them in the summer. I can't find the PFA full transfer list (but I know that the club will have access to a large database) but there were always tons of players in the top two flights in every position so I'd imagine that there are a few there that, in theory, will fit the bill.

I wish we signed Jackson Irvine now tbh. A couple of the right players could improve us so so much and make us tick so much better. Our squad right now has lots of potential but we need to join the dots.

What we really need is a midfield player who will boss other teams. From Hearts at Dens onwards we have been shown up as a exam lacking in bottle for the fight. Cally bullied us, Dunfemline bullied us the Fermers bullied us. We expect teams to sit back in awe as we pass the ball from side to side with little end product, but as soon as a hard tackle looks like disturbing our pretty patterns we fold. A bit of toughness to match the football then we will succeed. Oh for a Rafferty, Adamzchuk (?) or a Bomber or Cammy Fraser. A midfield general.

McGowan, Glorious or Thomson no longer cut it.

?

Gowser bossed the midfield when he came on yesterday and totally changed our performance.

Harkins can still do more than enough - but not as a holding midfield with Ross. Harkins Low McGowan Stewart is well worth a shout. Ross is too lightweight without the dig of Low and Thomson's early season form totally disappeared before he got crocked

Gowser bossed the midfield when he came on yesterday and totally changed our performance.

No, McGowan made a difference but we scored because Killie began to sit in for the points. I'm talking about a player who sees where the issues on the park and has the ability to change them. That, in my opinion is not Gowser. True he can mix it but by his second tackle would be in danger of being sent off. In saying that he would always be in the Dundee team at the moment because he is willing to mix it. Thomson shows this from time to time and clearly on his day he was precisely the type of player I'm talking about, however now he is smart enough to realise he is more likely to break down.

There must be a player of that quality in the lower leagues ready to take the next step. I'm confident that Hartley can unearth him. Not pushing the panic button yet, not before Christmas anyway..

If we are 10th or above then Hartley will still be in a job , simple as that. We have no right to be demanding top 6 other than short minded fans who can't remember past last week . With the squad we have we should be fighting for top 6 (which we are)

Edited by DensParkNumber1

If we are 10th or above then Hartley will still be in a job , simple as that. We have no right to be demanding top 6 other than short minded fans who can't remember past last week . With the squad we have we should be fighting for top 6 (which we are)

Take Celtic out of the league and every team in this league can beat any other one on their day and no-one could really be too shocked.

Aberdeen looked imperious until recently but have been brought back down to earth and are right back in the diddy mix.

Momentum and confidence are key - Killie had them and we didn't and it showed. No team in this league has a divine right to a top 6 spot, least of all us. Look back over the past 10-15 years of top flight football and we are possibly the least established of all the clubs currently in the league!

Some Dundee fans give the impression that they expect us to win most weeks. If that's the case you are supporting the wrong team.