All things Dundee FC

Moaning about today's team selection is the most lazy as f**k argument I've ever heard. That was the team that most people would have picked today. You can maybe blame McCann for a some things this season but that shambles today falls solely on the players. No fight. An embarrassment.

Agree. Must folk would’ve picked that team. What’s the flipping game plan btw? What’s our strategy to score do you think? I’m fukt if I know. High balls to midgets. Basque Jon punting it up the wing to nobody. Surely our midfield have to take the ball and either play it forward or wide. When did our fullbacks ever get forward and put a cross in? We can’t switch it and we can’t keep the ball. And today we couldn’t defend.

We’re so negative and tentative. Pussing about at the back gets on my tits including this crazy playing it out from the back at every opportunity. Is the idea behind that not that our midfield can drop back and collect the ball in space? If so it’s not happening at all.

O’Hara giving it away constantly and Deacon kicking it out FS. Just shite. Only Curran gets a pass from me today.

Agree. Must folk would’ve picked that team. What’s the flipping game plan btw? What’s our strategy to score do you think? I’m fukt if I know. High balls to midgets. Basque Jon punting it up the wing to nobody. Surely our midfield have to take the ball and either play it forward or wide. When did our fullbacks ever get forward and put a cross in? We can’t switch it and we can’t keep the ball. And today we couldn’t defend.

We’re so negative and tentative. Pussing about at the back gets on my tits including this crazy playing it out from the back at every opportunity. Is the idea behind that not that our midfield can drop back and collect the ball in space? If so it’s not happening at all.

O’Hara giving it away constantly and Deacon kicking it out FS. Just shite. Only Curran gets a pass from me today.

Most folk?

A midfield of 3 lightweights (Curran, Spence, Deacon) and a seriously out-of-form O'Hara was asking for trouble.

That combined with playing out from the back in those conditions was crazy indeed.

Whilst I accept that the defence and front 2 may have been what people were calling for it makes f**k all difference if the midfield doesn't support either the defence or the attack.

And it's not just this game - it's been happening all season - we perennially let teams run unchallenged at us - no wonder the defence struggles.

Can see what McCann is trying to get us doing unfortunately for him and us fans we've not got the players to do it...futba is bloody simple .. McCanns over complicating it..

Defenders... fucking defend ..clear your lines ,stop opponent's scoring

Midfielders...help defence ,get the ball forward quickly 

Strikers....just score fucking goals 

Unfortunately we're not very good at any of the above and the quicker McCann realises it the quicker he'll punt this tippy tappy slow build up play away to f**k 

Is there any manager in the country that doesn’t WANT his team to play silky, passing football.  Trouble is just about every manger in the country realises he hasn’t got the players to do it.  Unfortunately we have a manager that still thinks we can do it, despite what he has seen all season.  

So, That went well...

After having tea and almost calmed down, I can reflect on what has happened and what should happen next.

Firstly, we are almost nailed-on to finish in the bottom two, unless some kind of miracle happens here or either Partick or Hamilton have a complete meltdown (Think County are certs for the bottom two as well). Can't see anything more than 1 point before the split as an absolute maximum and would probably take serious bets on us not scoring again before then either.

It should be clear to everyone now that the radical step of employing a former pundit with almost no managerial/coaching experience hasn't been a success at all. The signings of Hendry and Kamara appear to have masked the fact that most of the signings he's made have either been absolutely rank - Wolters, Deacon, Moussa or pretty much "meh" - Spence, AJLS, Meekings etc. Even Caulker didn't look too clever today. Not signing a striker who can consistently hit the net after having two full windows is as close to negligent as you can get. Essentially swapping Allan for Murray appears to be another odd decision, although there may be other, behind the scenes issues that we are not fully aware of.

There is no consistency in team selection. Fair enough, adapt tactically to the opposition or injuries/suspension, but some of his selections have been baffling (see particularly the game recently with Kerr at left back and Jon on bench). I honestly have no idea what he thinks our best XI is. Players seem to be played out of position at random,  and are dropped after playing well - especially Waddell earlier in the season.

Post-match interviews have focused too much on refereeing decisions and not on poor decisions and performances. Admit mistakes and accept responsibility.

I honestly don't think we have a squad capable of staying out of the bottom two. Today showed that we are terribly lightweight, too easily forced of the ball and have no real plan beyond passing it backwards whenever possible. The number of times we play ourselves into trouble at the back, or end up playing a long ball upfield to the opposition anyway is just ridiculous. I can honestly say that I have yet to see any advantage from playing it out of the back - we don't seem to either entice the opposition out and are then able to start an attack or manage to find the killer pass (am happy to be put right on this, but I'm pretty confident there will be very few instances anyone can provide). As mentioned above, the lack of decent strikers is shocking and there seems to be little prospect of Wighton, Henvey or Smith (the lad scoring for the U20s?) picking up the slack.

Midfield sees Kamara playing well, but apparently conditioned not to go forward, O'Hara usually being played out wide and not being effective (although that may be because he only plays well against the zombie team), McGowan running around a lot and dong those weird pirouettes when he gets any kind of forward momentum and Deacon flattering to deceive with no end product. No-one seems able to cross the ball well from open play and maybe 1 out of every 4 corners makes it into the box past the first defender. No wonder we find it hard to score...

So, to be short, we are pish in pretty much every department, we don't have a plan A, B or C, have a terrible hit rate from recent signings and a manager that is out of his depth. We might get cheaper season tickets in the Championship next season, I suppose...

One more thing. Liam Craig’s arse slide into the advertising hoardings at the 3rd goal :wub::lol: 

edit: oops this was meant for the match thread. I’m leaving it now though. 

Edited by Kyle

Really trying to see the positives here. Although we have a horrendous run of fixtures until the split so do some of our rivals. If we can get to the split still clear of County and not detached in 11th we may yet shit fest our way to 10th. I really don't fancy our chances in a two leg playoff against Livi, Morton or QOS.

25 minutes ago, Spikethedee said:

So, That went well...

After having tea and almost calmed down, I can reflect on what has happened and what should happen next.

Firstly, we are almost nailed-on to finish in the bottom two, unless some kind of miracle happens here or either Partick or Hamilton have a complete meltdown (Think County are certs for the bottom two as well). Can't see anything more than 1 point before the split as an absolute maximum and would probably take serious bets on us not scoring again before then either.

It should be clear to everyone now that the radical step of employing a former pundit with almost no managerial/coaching experience hasn't been a success at all. The signings of Hendry and Kamara appear to have masked the fact that most of the signings he's made have either been absolutely rank - Wolters, Deacon, Moussa or pretty much "meh" - Spence, AJLS, Meekings etc. Even Caulker didn't look too clever today. Not signing a striker who can consistently hit the net after having two full windows is as close to negligent as you can get. Essentially swapping Allan for Murray appears to be another odd decision, although there may be other, behind the scenes issues that we are not fully aware of.

There is no consistency in team selection. Fair enough, adapt tactically to the opposition or injuries/suspension, but some of his selections have been baffling (see particularly the game recently with Kerr at left back and Jon on bench). I honestly have no idea what he thinks our best XI is. Players seem to be played out of position at random,  and are dropped after playing well - especially Waddell earlier in the season.

Post-match interviews have focused too much on refereeing decisions and not on poor decisions and performances. Admit mistakes and accept responsibility.

I honestly don't think we have a squad capable of staying out of the bottom two. Today showed that we are terribly lightweight, too easily forced of the ball and have no real plan beyond passing it backwards whenever possible. The number of times we play ourselves into trouble at the back, or end up playing a long ball upfield to the opposition anyway is just ridiculous. I can honestly say that I have yet to see any advantage from playing it out of the back - we don't seem to either entice the opposition out and are then able to start an attack or manage to find the killer pass (am happy to be put right on this, but I'm pretty confident there will be very few instances anyone can provide). As mentioned above, the lack of decent strikers is shocking and there seems to be little prospect of Wighton, Henvey or Smith (the lad scoring for the U20s?) picking up the slack.

Midfield sees Kamara playing well, but apparently conditioned not to go forward, O'Hara usually being played out wide and not being effective (although that may be because he only plays well against the zombie team), McGowan running around a lot and dong those weird pirouettes when he gets any kind of forward momentum and Deacon flattering to deceive with no end product. No-one seems able to cross the ball well from open play and maybe 1 out of every 4 corners makes it into the box past the first defender. No wonder we find it hard to score...

So, to be short, we are pish in pretty much every department, we don't have a plan A, B or C, have a terrible hit rate from recent signings and a manager that is out of his depth. We might get cheaper season tickets in the Championship next season, I suppose...

Extremely good post. 

Only disagree slightly about the corners.  When Deacon takes them the corners are as you say.  Generally speaking Jon’s corners are much better.

I’d also add that any of our throw ins on the right side of the pitch near the opposition box usually result in Kerr taking them with only one (two at most) players looking to receive the ball.  They then give the ball back to Kerr at a crazy height and Kerr has to struggle to control the ball before being closed down.  Embarrassing stuff.

35 minutes ago, Kyle said:

One more thing. Liam Craig’s arse slide into the advertising hoardings at the 3rd goal :wub::lol: 

edit: oops this was meant for the match thread. I’m leaving it now though. 

10-03-18-ladbrokes-premiership-dundee-v-st-johnstone-14674170.jpg.c8f4e220ab4539817ab161c41171193c.jpg

22 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

Extremely good post. 

Only disagree slightly about the corners.  When Deacon takes them the corners are as you say.  Generally speaking Jon’s corners are much better.

I’d also add that any of our throw ins on the right side of the pitch near the opposition box usually result in Kerr taking them with only one (two at most) players looking to receive the ball.  They then give the ball back to Kerr at a crazy height and Kerr has to struggle to control the ball before being closed down.  Embarrassing stuff.

Good point, totally forgot to add in that yes, we are atrocious at keeping possession from throw-ins. One of the basic fundamentals of the game and we seem incapable of throwing it to a team-mate and giving it back to the thrower without putting him under pressure.

What other options did we have?

I did suggest playing Caulker at centre mid. He should have enough class to play there and it was blatantly obvious before the game started we were going to get mauled in midfield. With Spence going off the ball was totally burst.

I’ve really wanted McCann to succeed, even slightly but it’s nigh on impossible to defend him now.

Falling out with all and sundry, guys just disappearing from the squad. Today Holt and Waddell. Young Lester Piggot looked completely caught in the headlights.

O’Hara, and it’s not remotely all his fault, is just not good enough to play in central midfield. Today was his chance and he was a virtual spectator. We’ve ditched Vincent, probably still paying him, he could have done a job today.

Blah blah blah.

Basically McCann’s blown it and it’s time to go. When you look at what Stevie Clarke and Jack Ross have done you can see what’s possible with a good manager.

McCann has instilled fear in our players rather than fostering confidence. He's totally delayed Cammy Kerr's development. You could see it today in screaming at Jon just 'do whAt yer feckin told' and play it out on a pudding surface- madness! While it could easily be argued that individual errors cost us the match the manager's style has hampered us I'm afraid. Wanted him to do well but he's as pig headed as Hartley and his Barca style with Brechin level ability is a recipe for disaster- enough is enough.

5 minutes ago, frank the pole said:

McCann has instilled fear in our players rather than fostering confidence. He's totally delayed Cammy Kerr's development. You could see it today in screaming at Jon just 'do whAt yer feckin told' and play it out on a pudding surface- madness! While it could easily be argued that individual errors cost us the match the manager's style has hampered us I'm afraid. Wanted him to do well but he's as pig headed as Hartley and his Barca style with Brechin level ability is a recipe for disaster- enough is enough.

Spot on.  Easy as a pundit to know what a player should do.  A good manager needs to know what his players are capable of and set out his team accordingly.

It’s no surprise that McCann’s supposedly had fall outs with plenty of the players. You could see today that the players have no belief in him.